PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

This advert from H&M has been removed.

skynews-h-and-m-racist-childrens-clothing_4201301.jpg

Is this political correctness or just Correct?
100% correct.

The only racist in this situation is the person that saw this advert and thought "that kid is black! He can't wear something with monkey! That's racist".
Rubbish.

I don't know how old you are but when I started watching PNE there used to be monkey noises when a black player got the ball. They also used to throw bananas. The monkey reference has been a serious derogatory comparison for centuries. I'm the first to attack PC bullshit, but this advert has too much bitter history attached.

Rubbish.

I don't know how old you are but when I started watching PNE there used to be monkey noises when a black player got the ball. They also used to throw bananas. The monkey reference has been a serious derogatory comparison for centuries. I'm the first to attack PC bullshit, but this advert has too much bitter history attached.

Yeah I'd agree as I share the same experiences of how black footballers used to be treated. I also aint any sort of PC minded liberal, however, I'm pretty sure it was a genuine mistake.

This is not a matter of government, or the UK specifically. This is a cultural problem within the western world. There has been a paradigm shift in the thinking since the turn of the twentieth century, and much of this has to do with the loss of religion in my opinion. Nietzsche said that God is dead and that we have killed him. This still rings true today, and people have begun to worship themselves, ideologies, celebrities, among other things. The government has less control over things than people think, especially in a capitalist free market system. It is not the government that changes the culture, but the social figures: professors, teachers, celebrities etc. In my opinion the ideas of the government are the product of the culture: for example, Canada is much more left leaning than America, and that is not the fault of the government but of the culture. Governments are trying to appeal to the mass ideology in the populace to win the election, they do not create the culture. Thus, the universities are the main sources of culture. This political correctness comes from the Frankfurt school in the 30's who believed in a victim complex, as well as believing that all hierarchies are based on control of power not on merit or skill like much of them should be. It has taken almost 70 years for the ideas of these thinkers to trickle down to the mass, and it will be the universities where either political correctness or free speech will be the highest values held. Already at Wilfred Laurier university in Canada there was a major scandal of professors restricting free speech of a teaching assistant in the name of political correctness. If one cannot speak their mind, then what is the point of having a mind. The world on its current path is not one I would like to live in in the future.

Interesting historical views there :) I have worked in psychiatry & psychology for years and I can see some of the roots of the 'victim' in all this but fwiw I agree that if we are not actually allowed to say what we think, then its gone too far. From what I understand of SJW's I believe they'll make criminals of us all eventually. As for the religious context if you believe in the Christian God then you certainly need to be careful what you say as Gods commandments certainly aren't PC, although I find it strange that this current crop of liberal minded folk seem to be hell bent (excuse the pun) on pacifying Islam despite it's obvious dichotomy to political correctness.

I saw a bit of a programme on Sunday discussing free speech , or lack of it , in certain spaces. Apparently Nigel Farage is on the banned list and is offered no platform at many of our universities. Like him or not , the guy was a major factor in the 52% leave vote and it’s utterly ludicrous.

The extremism is being shown by those banning , not the banned but they are too entrenched in their left wing views to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree its utterly ridiculous that Farage has been banned. It's UKIP not the third reich! Its amazing that extreme left wing views are somehow accepted yet even slightly right of centre is not.

I agree its utterly ridiculous that Farage has been banned. It's UKIP not the third reich! Its amazing that extreme left wing views are somehow accepted yet even slightly right of centre is not.

Only half decent politician we have had for a long time, stuck to his principles, and got called a racist, fascist bastard for it.

Deserves a Knighthood for campaigning to leave the den of thieves which is the EU, part and parcel of the German Governments new order.

Is it not true like?

The NUS’s no-platform policy was launched in 1974 and bans six organisations from speaking at its events. They are al-Muhajiroun, the British National party, the English Defence League, Hizb ut-Tahrir, the Muslim Public Affairs Committee and National Action.

The young model in the monkey jumper is a child. At his age, surely his parents have a say in what they do and don't want him to do as he forges a child modelling career? If they had found something wrong about it, they could have stopped it. If they, and the young lad, didn't find it offensive, should we? Just saying. Most youngsters find things like monkeys whacky, you get things like 'funky monkey pie' in restaurants and 'funky monkey' child play centres. Should black kids not go to them?
Is banning the advert taking away the child's right to model it because of his skin colour? Should they swap the model for a white child? Is the jumper racist? Would it be offensive if a white child was wearing it? Are people just finding something that isn't really there?

Last edited:
The young model in the monkey jumper is a child. At his age, surely his parents have a say in what they do and don't want him to do as he forges a child modelling career? If they had found something wrong about it, they could have stopped it. If they, and the young lad, didn't find it offensive, should we? Just saying. Most youngsters find things like monkeys whacky, you get things like 'funky monkey pie' in restaurants and 'funky monkey' child play centres. Should black kids not go to them?
Is banning the advert taking away the child's right to model it because of his skin colour? Should they swap the model for a white child? Is the jumper racist? Would it be offensive if a white child was wearing it? Are people just finding something that isn't really there?

People used to refer to black people as monkeys in a very derogatory manner, chanting monkey noises, throwing bananas.

In this instance there is too much history and it's best avoided.

There's nothing wrong with being offended , as it's a personal choice and in your makeup...

There's something very wrong when someone tells you that it's your duty to be offended.

ie...."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"..... Certain do gooding nipples really need to butt out...

Only half decent politician we have had for a long time, stuck to his principles, and got called a racist, fascist bastard for it.

Deserves a Knighthood for campaigning to leave the den of thieves which is the EU, part and parcel of the German Governments new order.

I'm actually starting to come round to this sort of thinking.

There's nothing wrong with being offended , as it's a personal choice and in your makeup...

There's something very wrong when someone tells you that it's your duty to be offended.

ie...."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"..... Certain do gooding nipples really need to butt out...

And I had you down as a Social Justice Warrior ;)

Rubbish.

The " Monkeys " being the ones that made it derogatory............ The lad should be able to wear that jumper with pride and without a second thought......

People used to refer to black people as monkeys in a very derogatory manner, chanting monkey noises, throwing bananas.

In this instance there is too much history and it's best avoided.
I just don't think we should let the monkey chanting banana throwing morons of this world have any impact on the innocence of childhood. Black AND white kids should be able to wear 'cheeky monkey' T shirts.

Stuck to his principles honed as a banker. He'and his partner very much personally benefitted from the very organisation he rubbishes. Hypocrite moi.Then made an arse of himself by being used and abused by Donald, the man of reason. He fits perfectly into the new order. They rubbish the sitting power whilst continuing to fill their boots.