PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

To the best of my knowledge it is only forbidden within Islam to depict him or, Jesus or, any other character from bible or, koran not the law of the land. The OfSTED guidelines I have seen say "show sensitivity" towards subject.

I'd be very wary about placing store in their opinions aswell.....

I know Mer5ey well enough to know that if he says this it will be 100% fact.

Crazy IMHO.
Hi Raef. Yes, I was covering a class for somebody and was a little surprised. I do think sensitivity is appropriate, as Waltz mentions but it is still something I can't quite get my head around.

I had to tell 11 year olds who were studying Islam that they mustn’t draw Allah or Mohammad. Today in fact.
Often when they create a revision page they use images to aid recall.
There it was in bold, black and white... ‘you must not draw allah or Mohammad pbuh’.

It is everywhere.
Not that they’re a sensitive bunch at all.

Actually not sure about this at all, any publicity is good publicity for an actor and new movie release.

That cliché works much of the time. But he's risking a big backlash that could see him lose future starring roles if this mud sticks and maybe it could also have a negative impact on box office takings for this film.

I heard John Barnes on 5Live this morning. I fully agreed with him (although he was sailing close to the wind himself when he said that if his own daughter had been killed in the Manchester bombing, he didn't know if he'd have gone out to roam the streets looking to kill a Muslim!")

Barnes was put up against a young black (I assume) woman, who completely 100% disagreed with him. In her eyes, Neeson is an unforgivable racist and she thought Barnes deserved similar disdain for holding his view. She would not for one moment entertain the idea that there might be ANY mitigation.

But I think this event took place over 40 years ago. For example, we were all exposed as children to Alf Garnett on BBC1 and it was a society that WAS racist. How can you blame a young person if they didn't grow up to be immediately entirely balanced? And I guess the tribal nature of Northern Irish society in the seventies probably didn't help him grow up with an unprejudiced view on life either. What he did seems to me to be rather on the edge but the attitude of 'once a racist, always a racist' is actually ignorant and closed-minded. The young black woman who was up against John Barnes was unwittingly displaying the sorts of traits that she accused others of doing.

I had to tell 11 year olds who were studying Islam that they mustn’t draw Allah or Mohammad. Today in fact.
Often when they create a revision page they use images to aid recall.
There it was in bold, black and white... ‘you must not draw allah or Mohammad pbuh’.

It is everywhere.

I'm not clear as to whether this was a school policy, an instruction from the RE teacher you were covering for or something from elsewhere.

Does it matter?.... It's ridiculous.

Of course it matters. Context is crucial. Is it one individual's judgment? Is it a collective institutional decision? Is it national policy? "Who" enables the question "why"to be better framed surely and will inform the debate. To simply ignore the context and flounce off into a world of cliches merely clouds the issue rather than putting it under the spotlight, which is what is required.

Of course it matters. Context is crucial. Is it one individual's judgment? Is it a collective institutional decision? Is it national policy? Who enables the question why to be better framed surely?

Okay, fair enough but whoevers decission it was I stand by what I said... " It's ridiculous ".............. We'll have to wait for Mer5ey to explain but I doubt he was making a song and dance over nothing.

Okay, fair enough but whoevers decission it was I stand by what I said... " It's ridiculous ".............. We'll have to wait for Mer5ey to explain but I doubt he was making a song and dance over nothing.

I agree it's ridiculous, but I want to know why and who because that makes a significant difference.

I agree it's ridiculous, but I want to know why and who because that makes a significant difference.

Actually on the same subject I bet we don't get an answer because he'll have to be very careful what he says..... Which is even more bollocks in my view.