PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

People like him really piss me off,
EPg_74yWAAA-ZGG

EPg_74xXUAEyFAE

EPg_74zWkAAjwlg

EPg_74yXkAEf-mL

whats the saying about people in glass houses?
people like him really piss me off, looking for a racial slant when there is none. Yet he seems to have more of a problem with the colour of someone’s skin.

I do know that the world is trying to condition me John but it will never work so have no fear.................... I'm not quite sure how you correlate free speech with "Metoo" though. Perhaps you can explain the connection?

Because my friend it started a 'Cult' were everyone with no more sense thought they just had to jump on the 'band wagon' and agree without actually thinking about any consequences

You can see it today in the numerous threads on here too

Spend everyone else’s money on the latest perceived injustice, except your own that is

I absolutely detest Katie Hopkins - and appreciate that she spreads vileness.

That said, I don't care for a group of people claiming moral superiority demanding that she is banned from Twitter. That is a very dangerous path when people claiming to be a 'moral majority' decide who we can listen to.

So where do you draw the line on hate speech? Or don`t you?

So where do you draw the line on hate speech? Or don`t you?
I am very liberal when it comes to free speech - very much in line with the US constitution's approach. Especially that you are fully responsible for the words you utter.

Threats, incitement to violence, libel, and the old 'shouting fire' are some examples of where I think people cross the line. I'm very uneasy with hate speech laws because they are easy to misuse - who defines 'hate?'

I accept that free speech does not apply to a private business like Twitter, btw - it's as much a general observation. I support the right of people to speak even if I detest their views (and I have absolutely no time at all for Hopkins - she's a horrible human being).

I am very liberal when it comes to free speech - very much in line with the US constitution's approach. Especially that you are fully responsible for the words you utter.

Threats, incitement to violence, libel, and the old 'shouting fire' are some examples of where I think people cross the line. I'm very uneasy with hate speech laws because they are easy to misuse - who defines 'hate?'

I accept that free speech does not apply to a private business like Twitter, btw - it's as much a general observation. I support the right of people to speak even if I detest their views (and I have absolutely no time at all for Hopkins - she's a horrible human being).

Fair enough, ta for a considered answer.

Never done twitter and don`t know who the group are who wanted her shut down, but in my view she is someone who has spent years stirring up race tensions for money, and if she`s been shut down ( and I believe she is in financial difficulties too, happily ), then it`s `Happy Days from me ! :)

Fair enough, ta for a considered answer.

Never done twitter and don`t know who the group are who wanted her shut down, but in my view she is someone who has spent years stirring up race tensions for money, and if she`s been shut down ( and I believe she is in financial difficulties too, happily ), then it`s `Happy Days from me ! :)
The financial difficulties are exactly what I am on about - all due to libel and a refusal to apologise and settle out of court. I have no sympathy.

I still fully support Hopkins' right to speak on Twitter - this same group is also trying to shut down George Galloway for hate speech. I get that a lot of people don't like him, but what happens if they start going after other left wing figures, especially those I happen to agree with?

If you don't stand up for those you disagree with, how can you expect anybody to stand up for you? That's my main point, really.

The financial difficulties are exactly what I am on about - all due to libel and a refusal to apologise and settle out of court. I have no sympathy.

I still fully support Hopkins' right to speak on Twitter - this same group is also trying to shut down George Galloway for hate speech. I get that a lot of people don't like him, but what happens if they start going after other left wing figures, especially those I happen to agree with?

If you don't stand up for those you disagree with, how can you expect anybody to stand up for you? That's my main point, really.
I can't even get my head around the fact you are defending Katie Hopkins, she abuses free speech, she crosses the line into hate speech and encitement to violence on a daily basis, the freedom to speak does not come without responsibility. I find George Galloway to be an insufferable bore who occasionly gets things right but he can't even be compared to Hopkins, he doesn't encourage hate on a daily basis for a start and it is for that reason and common sense he hasn't been banned from twitter like Hopkins has. Rachel Riley is a grade A weapon that crosses that line quite frequently so it's all a bit twilight zone that she is claiming some sort of victory for crimes she commits herself.

I can't even get my head around the fact you are defending Katie Hopkins, she abuses free speech, she crosses the line into hate speech and encitement to violence on a daily basis, the freedom to speak does not come without responsibility. I find George Galloway to be an insufferable bore who occasionly gets things right but he can't even be compared to Hopkins, he doesn't encourage hate on a daily basis for a start and it is for that reason and common sense he hasn't been banned from twitter like Hopkins has. Rachel Riley is a grade A weapon that crosses that line quite frequently so it's all a bit twilight zone that she is claiming some sort of victory for crimes she commits herself.
Sorry Tinks, but I don't agree with banning people I don't agree with. I'm consistent with that view and try to apply it to all (even Rachel Riley, who I dislike intensely). As I said, I am very much in line with the US constitutional protections on free speech for all. Sorry if that offends you, but it is my view.

Here's a real world example:

A few months ago, as I posted on here, we had four coachloads of Syrian refugees arrive in Sparta. Families with small children.

Naturally, they had a group of a dozen or so idiots to greet them, hurling abuse, calling them terrorists, uttering 'Greece is for Greeks' and demanding that they 'go home.' Did me and the missus go up to one of the police in attendance and demand they were arrested for hate speech?

No, we confronted them and used our right to speak to call them fascists; wastes of oxygen; bald, ugly thick fucks; and other such niceties. To be fair, they didn't report us for hate speech, either.

Hopkins does nothing more than Alf Garnett used to do but no one was so precious back then...... we are all grown ups and should use our common sense to take it or leave it.,,It aint such the big deal that it's made out to be.... Signed.. A cracker. :)

Sorry Tinks, but I don't agree with banning people I don't agree with. I'm consistent with that view and try to apply it to all (even Rachel Riley, who I dislike intensely). As I said, I am very much in line with the US constitutional protections on free speech for all. Sorry if that offends you, but it is my view.

Here's a real world example:

A few months ago, as I posted on here, we had four coachloads of Syrian refugees arrive in Sparta. Families with small children.

Naturally, they had a group of a dozen or so idiots to greet them, hurling abuse, calling them terrorists, uttering 'Greece is for Greeks' and demanding that they 'go home.' Did me and the missus go up to one of the police in attendance and demand they were arrested for hate speech?

No, we confronted them and used our right to speak to call them fascists; wastes of oxygen; bald, ugly thick fucks; and other such niceties. To be fair, they didn't report us for hate speech, either.

You're opinion doesn't offend me, trying to insinuate I'm a soft arse is a bit shitty on your part though tbh. Like I said there is a difference between free speech and hate speech, Hopkins has crossed that line a million times over, she's a vile, racist, hate monger and its absolutely correct she's been deplatformed at this point, it's a last resort that has been a long time coming with her. Aside from everything else she's subject to the same rules as me or you when using social media platforms and she's broken the rules, so tough shit.

Hopkins does nothing more than Alf Garnett used to do but no one was so precious back then...... we are all grown ups and should use our common sense to take it or leave it.,,It aint such the big deal that it's made out to be.... Signed.. A cracker. :)
Yeah your right, let's just get rid of all the laws as well, let anyone say whatever they want and fuck the consequences.

Yeah your right, let's just get rid of all the laws as well, let anyone say whatever they want and fuck the consequences.

Thats not what I meant at all...... change your " fuck" to my "suffer" and we've cracked it.Sorry Winkers but we really do seem to have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves and that's not a step in the right direction in my view....You and I know the difference between wrong and right and for my part don't need some tit defining it for me.

You're opinion doesn't offend me, trying to insinuate I'm a soft arse is a bit shitty on your part though tbh. Like I said there is a difference between free speech and hate speech, Hopkins has crossed that line a million times over, she's a vile, racist, hate monger and its absolutely correct she's been deplatformed at this point, it's a last resort that has been a long time coming with her. Aside from everything else she's subject to the same rules as me or you when using social media platforms and she's broken the rules, so tough shit.
I apologise if you thought I was implying you are a softarse I do not think that at all - the opposite, in fact.

As I said, my views are not particularly controversial or extreme - merely that I long ago adopted the US approach to free speech. OK - let's celebrate Hopkins' ban. What happens if this group sets its sights on leftists - maybe pro-Palestine Twitter users? That's the problem, for me.

I apologise if you thought I was implying you are a softarse I do not think that at all - the opposite, in fact.

As I said, my views are not particularly controversial or extreme - merely that I long ago adopted the US approach to free speech. OK - let's celebrate Hopkins' ban. What happens if this group sets its sights on leftists - maybe pro-Palestine Twitter users? That's the problem, for me.

I mostly agree when it comes to loud mouths like her. The best thing to do is just ignore her. The problem is there has to be a line where free speech becomes hate speech and has to be stopped. I'm not sure I know where the line is but it's a difficult call to make.

My general standpoint is I wont always agree with what you say bit I will defend your right to say it. But there needs to be limits

I mostly agree when it comes to loud mouths like her. The best thing to do is just ignore her. The problem is there has to be a line where free speech becomes hate speech and has to be stopped. I'm not sure I know where the line is but it's a difficult call to make.

My general standpoint is I wont always agree with what you say bit I will defend your right to say it. But there needs to be limits
I fully agree - and where we draw the line is the issue that has affected free speech for centuries.

In my case, as close to absolute as you can get. To put my views in context, the US laws allowed the Westboro fools to do what they do - and I agree with that, as would most.Americans. Westboro are far worse.than Hopkins!

Again, I understand that Twitter is a private business - making more of a general point.

My mum used to be of the opinion that you should “give them enough rope and they will hang themselves”. Maybe that’s what Ms Hopkins will do in the end.

My mum used to be of the opinion that you should “give them enough rope and they will hang themselves”. Maybe that’s what Ms Hopkins will do in the end.
She is only relevant and heard while people listen to her and comment
simple solution is don't
if you actually look long enough she has no real talent or redeeming features at all