PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

Will listen to that, thanks - been following the case with some dismay. Always liked Moore's stuff.

Bullying a woman out of her job for speaking up for women's rights does not sit well with me.
It's a compelling interview, find it fascinating all this mainly because of how insane a lot of these dogmas are and how they're now seeping into the mainstream.

It's a compelling interview, find it fascinating all this mainly because of how insane a lot of these dogmas are and how they're now seeping into the mainstream.
Hate it - as a passionate free speech activist, most threats have historically come from the right.

Now, censoriousness is coming from people calling themselves progressives or liberals (whether they are, in old money, is a point of debate). It's a monster that is growing, sadly, and spreading throughout society. If we don't listen to each other and try to close down opposing views, we will never understand each other.

I read the article a couple of days ago - written in her very engaging style. Will catch up on the interview later.

It's the sun :ROFLMAO:

Whatever the source, it happened and a bloke losing his livelihood albeit temporary for something as trivial as this is shocking imho.

The BBC has suspended pundit Steve Thompson after he described a player scuffle during Swindon Town 0-1 Lincoln City as "handbags". Sometimes known as "Tommo", the 65-year-old was working for the broadcaster as a freelancer. As a result of his comment, he won't be hired to cover any games until at least January.

Why ?

As a Welshman this honestly doesn't bother me one bit. It probably would be better to back the British Lions, but I appreciate that their tournaments are a little less high profile maybe?
BA are based in London, most of their staff are probably based in England. I dunno, potato potarto.

Lest we forget, since Boris is such a twat, we are still (just) part of the UK. If in my workplace, my management made some official message of support for England against Wales (which it wouldnt since its sane), it would be both crass and stupid since maybe up to 40% of its workforce are not English. Im fed up with this feckin stupid game where people are looking for PC or offence on either side. Its just some BA employee having a laugh and theyve probably got a bollocking.
Grow up. Some people have just become destitute.

Lest we forget, since Boris is such a twat, we are still (just) part of the UK. If in my workplace, my management made some official message of support for England against Wales (which it wouldnt since its sane), it would be both crass and stupid since maybe up to 40% of its workforce are not English. Im fed up with this feckin stupid game where people are looking for PC or offence on either side. Its just some BA employee having a laugh and theyve probably got a bollocking.
Grow up. Some people have just become destitute.
Why can’t people just laugh it off? Can you imagine if they’d flown a plane with a banner? Heads would have exploded.

As a Welshman this honestly doesn't bother me one bit. It probably would be better to back the British Lions, but I appreciate that their tournaments are a little less high profile maybe?
BA are based in London, most of their staff are probably based in England. I dunno, potato potarto.

It bothers me. Like it bothers me when national media, or leading UK politicians (in an official capacity) forget that they represent the country... and although the English make up the big majority, there are 3 other equal parts. And this sort of shit is just rude and tweaks that wedge between us a little deeper

East Germany beckons
The only reason this is getting investigated is because Suarez used the same word 6 years ago and the FA panicked because of the backlash and gave him an 8 match ban, so now they have to do the same here

The only reason this is getting investigated is because Suarez used the same word 6 years ago and the FA panicked because of the backlash and gave him an 8 match ban, so now they have to do the same here
I'm not sure they need to treat it the same as it wasn't directed at a player in a situation where the word may have appeared to be something else (also not entirely sure it was the word Suarez used looking at his history)

The biggest problem i have with stuff like this is that the clubs should be educating international players about what language is and isn't acceptable. Cavini has been in Europe for a long time and should know better.

Also I believe the entire post was in Spanish too

Are we going to start banning proper foreign words because the English meaning of that formation of letters is offensive to (some of) us. Thank God this wasnt the case in the 80s otherwise Lopez Ufarte would have been banned from the commentary. Ask Rashford if hes offended maybe. If I was Cavani I think I might think, sod this, Im buggering off back to Paris. Its the Premiership loss if they want to major on this rather than a world class no 9 display.

Are we going to start banning proper foreign words because the English meaning of that formation of letters is offensive to (some of) us. Thank God this wasnt the case in the 80s otherwise Lopez Ufarte would have been banned from the commentary. Ask Rashford if hes offended maybe. If I was Cavani I think I might think, sod this, Im buggering off back to Paris. Its the Premiership loss if they want to major on this rather than a world class no 9 display.

Oh yes I think we are

The lunatics have already taken over the asylum
And they don't want to give it back

It’s an incredible slippery slope once you take the attitude of ‘we can’t say this - it might offend someone’.

Reminds me of this: