PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Possession

PNEOZ

Having grown up when football teams had a goalkeeper, two full backs, three half backs and five forwards I find the various combinations interesting.
Most of all the most intresting thing is that teams that win tend to have less possession than the their opponents. I guess if the ball is in the opposition net then you do not have possession! Perhaps the Manager might give that some thought.

Ah, those were the Days!!
When the goalkeeper passed it to the full back who passed it to the wing half who passed it to the inside forward to switch it to the wing and for the winger to cross it into the Box for the Centre Forward to nod it in!!!
Seriously, possession is over rated just for the sake of it, i dont like aimless hoof ball either,
To me pass, pass, pass but with a forward intent and then get quality crosses into the box for forwards to attack.

Ah, those were the Days!!
When the goalkeeper passed it to the full back who passed it to the wing half who passed it to the inside forward to switch it to the wing and for the winger to cross it into the Box for the Centre Forward to nod it in!!!
Seriously, possession is over rated just for the sake of it, i dont like aimless hoof ball either,
To me pass, pass, pass but with a forward intent and then get quality crosses into the box for forwards to attack.
You have just reminded me of the 1963/4 style of Prestons that got us to the Fa Cup Final and third in the League.Kelly to Ross or Smith,then to Lawton or Davidson,next to Ashworth or Spavin ,over to Holden or Wilson and finally centered on to the the head of Dawson.The memories come flooding back.

You have just reminded me of the 1963/4 style of Prestons that got us to the Fa Cup Final and third in the League.Kelly to Ross or Smith,then to Lawton or Davidson,next to Ashworth or Spavin ,over to Holden or Wilson and finally centered on to the the head of Dawson.The memories come flooding back.

That's who i was thinking of !! :)
In fact i almost put for Dawson to head in.
That was the style of play 2-3-5 ( although in todays parlance i guess they would call it 3-2-2-3) until i was 10/11 then from 66 onwards it was 4-2-4 or 4-3-3- and then for years 4-4-2.

-

Having grown up when football teams had a goalkeeper, two full backs, three half backs and five forwards I find the various combinations interesting.
Most of all the most intresting thing is that teams that win tend to have less possession than the their opponents. I guess if the ball is in the opposition net then you do not have possession! Perhaps the Manager might give that some thought.
The manager just needs to speed play up a notch or 2, well maybe 3. He did that once, a long time ago in 2017

It's not how much you have, it's what you do with it.
No apologies for posting this again. The perfect illustration for me. Cooper was obsessive about possession. I remember in the league game before the Play Off Final, we stopped their keeper from throwing the ball out to the full back and he just didn't know what to do. Swindon were programmed to play that way and couldn't change. Grayson saw that and totally out-thought Cooper tactically.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-212121.png
    Screenshot_20210117-212121.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
No apologies for posting this again. The perfect illustration for me. Cooper was obsessive about possession. I remember in the league game before the Play Off Final, we stopped their keeper from throwing the ball out to the full back and he just didn't know what to do. Swindon were programmed to play that way and couldn't change. Grayson saw that and totally out-thought Cooper tactically.
Great example