Power Tools

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Alas - that is all too true and I suffer from terminal idiocy.

Out of interest, what brand of sander would you recommend, Hodgey? Want one of those you can connect a hoover to and suck away the dust.

Not sure that idiocy can actually be terminal, can it?

Unless you've got a Chinese chainsaw in your hands.

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
There are no words.
While you are here, Hodgey, as you come across as a man who knows many useful things.

Our plumbing is pretty old and parts of it are steel piping. When I want to repair anything, it is difficult to access with an angle grinder, and using a bit of hacksaw blade to cut through takes ages.

Someone recommended oscillating cutters to me. Are they any good at cutting through steel?
61zg7tQCJ4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Alas - that is all too true and I suffer from terminal idiocy.

Out of interest, what brand of sander would you recommend, Hodgey? Want one of those you can connect a hoover to and suck away the dust.
got one if these for D.I.Y. pretty nifty

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
got one if these for D.I.Y. pretty nifty
Cheers, northender. Not sure if I can get that brand here - if I can, I will check it out!

Jack Daniels

PNE-ONLINE Boxing Expert.
Staff member
Patron
@Sepp Blatter

Here is what I genuinely use.

A cheaply bought (around £10) shear.

Old Skool, hard work but it cuts the Ivy back and any grass verges that appear, last used on Friday around 8am in the pissing rain!! Had them for at least a decade.

The photo is a near enough illustration.

garden-scissors-on-white-background-260nw-91724330.jpg

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
@Sepp Blatter

Here is what I genuinely use.

A cheaply bought (around £10) shear.

Old Skool, hard work but it cuts the Ivy back and any grass verges that appear, last used on Friday around 8am in the pissing rain!! Had them for at least a decade.

The photo is a near enough illustration.

garden-scissors-on-white-background-260nw-91724330.jpg
Love a good pair of shears - great for certain jobs.

Our garden is too big for that, sadly, and the weeds here are very tough and just laugh at you!

Preston1880

🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧
Patron
Regarding strimmers, I used to work for a landscaping company years ago and we used the petrol bladed strimmers.

They're Siiiiiiick! - Whip through anything, aluminium cans, thick branches, big clumps of mud, plastic bottles, frogs, dog shit, Co-workers trousers, the lot. I used to come home every day covered in a thick layer of pulped god knows what. 😆

They obviously wear down over time but it's a quick fix. Flip em o'er, clip the blades off, clip newuns back on... Off you pop again whacking the shit out of everything in sight.

Don't bother with the string ones, more hassle than they're worth.

Disclaimer: I obviously didn't murder frogs on purpose, they're just unfortunate in that they like to live in areas that 'need' regularly mowing/strimming during the summer months 😔

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Not being an experienced user of a chainsaw what are the dangers of kickbacks when using them.

I mentioned aboutthe trees in my lawn thread and i did, for quite a while, consider getting a chainsaw to them but worry Im just not experienced enough.
Leave it to the experts ......

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Regarding strimmers, I used to work for a landscaping company years ago and we used the petrol bladed strimmers.

They're Siiiiiiick! - Whip through anything, aluminium cans, thick branches, big clumps of mud, plastic bottles, frogs, dog shit, Co-workers trousers, the lot. I used to come home every day covered in a thick layer of pulped god knows what. 😆

They obviously wear down over time but it's a quick fix. Flip em o'er, clip the blades off, clip newuns back on... Off you pop again whacking the shit out of everything in sight.

Don't bother with the string ones, more hassle than they're worth.
Used those years ago, on the nature reserve, mainly for cutting reeds.

Tend to stick with the strings for mine - a bit safer, especially because the soil is rocky.

The strings we use are thick. I run a couple of 4mm braided strings next to each other through one of these heads.

51i-hFeR1dL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

That generally gets through the garden with only one or two changes.

Bump strimmer heads are awful on petrol strimmers.

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
While you are here, Hodgey, as you come across as a man who knows many useful things.

Our plumbing is pretty old and parts of it are steel piping. When I want to repair anything, it is difficult to access with an angle grinder, and using a bit of hacksaw blade to cut through takes ages.

Someone recommended oscillating cutters to me. Are they any good at cutting through steel?
61zg7tQCJ4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
They just need to be sharp enough to slit my wrists after reading the posts on this thread.🤣

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
They just need to be sharp enough to slit my wrists after reading the posts on this thread.🤣
No need to feel ashamed if you are not sure how to use power tools and feel intimidated.

We are here to help you through the entire process, showing you how to trim your undergrowth and drill your first hole.

glossop north _

Forum Patron
Patron
Am actually after a new sander, so look forward to any advice
Depends what you are after sanding Sepp.

I cant recommend Mirka Abranet sanding discs or sheets highly enough though.

In case you've not seen them, they are an abrasive mesh on a velcro backing and when connecting up to something with a bit of extraction they really keep the dust down while you're working. Not cheap but they do last extremely well. A million miles from those yellow squares of glass paper.

Seeing the Makita cordless strimmer up there, now the batteries are up to it, there's loads of things now available cordless. Seeing as I had the batteries I treated myself to a Makita random orbital sander and fettled a connector up to Henry the hoover from some braided hose and Sugru. With the Abranet pads it really does sand lovely amd clean. Not got the balls of the sanders at work but good enough for home use.

The best one so far to go with the batteries is a little hoover for keeping next to the fridge. On offer at £35 bare it gets more uae than the big one as its so easy to pick up and whizz round.

Got my eye on a cordless router next but at over 200 quid I'll have to wait for a bit pf luck or a windfall.

Anyway- what is it you wanted to sand?

And you sure do like your strimmers dont you?

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Depends what you are after sanding Sepp.

I cant recommend Mirka Abranet sanding discs or sheets highly enough though.

In case you've not seen them, they are an abrasive mesh on a velcro backing and when connecting up to something with a bit of extraction they really keep the dust down while you're working. Not cheap but they do last extremely well. A million miles from those yellow squares of glass paper.

Seeing the Makita cordless strimmer up there, now the batteries are up to it, there's loads of things now available cordless. Seeing as I had the batteries I treated myself to a Makita random orbital sander and fettled a connector up to Henry the hoover from some braided hose and Sugru. With the Abranet pads it really does sand lovely amd clean. Not got the balls of the sanders at work but good enough for home use.

The best one so far to go with the batteries is a little hoover for keeping next to the fridge. On offer at £35 bare it gets more uae than the big one as its so easy to pick up and whizz round.

Got my eye on a cordless router next but at over 200 quid I'll have to wait for a bit pf luck or a windfall.

Anyway- what is it you wanted to sand?

And you sure do like your strimmers dont you?
I'll have a look at those, thanks - a quick browse online showed that I can get Mirka stuff in Greece so that is definitely doable.

It's actually for sanding walls - cement (pretty soft) and filler. Want to prep them so that I can refill and paint, but the missus goes mental if I get dust everywhere, so one I can connect up to a hoover would be perfect.

Might well look at Makita - there is a dealer in Sparta and I do like their stuff.

We have a large garden with a lot of grass - I have to strim 4 - 5 times a year through some pretty tough stuff and rocky soil (the grass is like steel wire in the summer!), so a good strimmer makes a lot of difference.

Last edited:

glossop north _

Forum Patron
Patron
I'll have a look at those, thanks - a quick browse online showed that I can get Mirka stuff in Greece so that is definitely doable.

It's actually for sanding walls - cement (pretty soft) and filler. Want to prep them so that I can refill and paint, but the missus goes mental if I get dust everywhere, so one I can connect up to a hoover would be perfect.

I reckon they'd be grand for your use (the Mirka pads).
I'm nowt to do with the firm and maybe should be on commission but they are by far the best Ive used to keep my lungs, garage, house and workplace clean while working.

Up to you what you want to fit them to.
Having a cordless sander meant there was no extra cable to get tangled up in with the extraction as Im a bugger for getting tied in knots with too many wires.