PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Preston Docks 1960's/70's

On the river Lostock, fool :)
No, no! The River Lostock was always 'Dandy Brook' to us. Ask @johnny_macken we spent half our childhood paddling, swimming and eventually Gudgeoning in the brook. I think we even camped with Mum on the shores in the 1970's. The farmer banned us the next morning for his cows were getting hooks and nylon stuck in their stomachs. We meant no harm. They were good days. A holiday away from just a mere mile and a half from home :)

Bliemy. Did this actually look like this at one time?

Yes. I was surprised too. Apparently the viaduct started to experience subsidence. The solution was to fill all the arches, 57 of them, to prevent any collapse. They are still there buried.

I've walked this route many times into Preston from Lostock Hall and if you look closely there are still traces of the original structure.

As it's no longer a railway route I'd love it to be excavated and returned to its original state. It'd make a fine example of our past history. Imagine the work put in to build all those arches? Proper graft!

Yes. I was surprised too. Apparently the viaduct started to experience subsidence. The solution was to fill all the arches, 57 of them, to prevent any collapse. They are still there buried.

I've walked this route many times into Preston from Lostock Hall and if you look closely there are still traces of the original structure.

As it's no longer a railway route I'd love it to be excavated and returned to its original state. It'd make a fine example of our past history. Imagine the work put in to build all those arches? Proper graft!
Is it the main railway bridge near the Conti? i.e. this view I just took from Google street view?

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 9.09.04 PM.png

Go down there all the time on my bike, never knew that was under there. Amazing.

Found an old map from 1849 which does indeed show it as a viaduct.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102343946

Is it the main railway bridge near the Conti? i.e. this view I just took from Google street view?

View attachment 1985

No. It's the East Lancs line. The next bridge along towards the tram bridge. It goes from Preston to Bamber Bridge then off eastwards. It passed through Todd Lane station, formerly Preston Junction, and closed in the early 1970's.

I live in Bamber Bridge now and rather than take the bus into Preston I prefer to take this wonderful walk along this former line.

No I believe it is the one that is now just a footbridge that separates Avenham and Miller Parks.

No. It's the East Lancs line. The next bridge along towards the tram bridge. It goes from Preston to Bamber Bridge then off eastwards. It passed through Todd Lane station, formerly Preston Junction, and closed in the early 1970's.

I live in Bamber Bridge now and rather than take the bus into Preston I prefer to take this wonderful walk along this former line.
Ah ok so it's the bridge near the Avenham cafe. The stone-work's all a bit knackered and you can't go up the steps anymore. It's also the bridge with all the lovers padlocks.

Superb picture... Bet it looked gorgeous... We have so much architectural history in Preston, we sometimes never look up to see just what our town has....

It would be a great restoration job to dig away all the soil to reveal this great structure. I know it would be a big job, but a lot less effort than the blokes who built the viaduct.

I've got a spade. Anyone else? :) (Oh, and let's get Tram Bridge fixed too!)

I was in Avenham Park yesterday - that bridge must definitely be the one outside the Conti. None of the others have red brick arches. The one between Miller & Avenham parks just has straight upright columns, completely different.