PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Preston Docks 1960's/70's

@paddysr can you help to insert this video on here? it won't work. I've added some extra spaces because it won't let me paste the link

https://www. gettyimages .com .au/detail/video/boating-on-the-ribble-at-preston-1901-stock-video-footage/450004808

Such a shame that the rowing boats were there for so long (decades??) but we don't have them now. The lovely house just further up is called the Boat House where the old Penwortham ferry used to go across, so I suppose the rowing boats were a hangover from the river's more 'boaty past.'

That little corner is extremely popular with walkers, cyclers, park runners, the Conti. I'd love to see some other 'activity' down there by the river.
I’ve thought for years that Preston doesn’t utilise the River Ribble enough. Many Other towns and cities always seem to their Rivers as a focal point. Even the Docks is massive wasted opportunity.

That’s excellent Bigalex.
I’ve not seen that before.

It also gives a great view of the old railway bridge, showing lots of people using the footpath across it, and how many people accessed and used the far bank of the river.

I’ve thought for years that Preston doesn’t utilise the River Ribble enough. Many Other towns and cities always seem to their Rivers as a focal point. Even the Docks is massive wasted opportunity.
Couple of weeks ago we had a stroll around the back of Avenham, by the old Harris Institute and the surrounding roads around the top of the park. It really is a lost little world up there, you could easily be in Barnes or Richmond, near the Thames, with multi-million pound properties. It's such a shame that it's so 'disconnected' from the rest of the city. And a bloody nightmare to get in & out by car, with the crap road system.

I wonder how many people drowned, those boats don’t look too safe, no social distancing lol

Couple of weeks ago we had a stroll around the back of Avenham, by the old Harris Institute and the surrounding roads around the top of the park. It really is a lost little world up there, you could easily be in Barnes or Richmond, near the Thames, with multi-million pound properties. It's such a shame that it's so 'disconnected' from the rest of the city. And a bloody nightmare to get in & out by car, with the crap road system.

There are some great houses in that area.

I’m also impressed by those on Fishergate Hill between County Hall and West Cliff, also those in the streets opposite County Hall, should definitely be a conservation area.....

When they were built the only bridge across the river was the old Penwortham bridge, meaning Broadgate was quite an important thoroughfare.

I’m sure Penwortham Holme Bridge was only built about 1900, and the Walton le Dale Bridge a similar date.

I’m also impressed by those on Fishergate Hill between County Hall and West Cliff, also those in the streets opposite County Hall, should definitely be a conservation area.....

When they were built the only bridge across the river was the old Penwortham bridge, meaning Broadgate was quite an important thoroughfare.

I’m sure Penwortham Holme Bridge was only built about 1900, and the Walton le Dale Bridge a similar date.
Yeah Broadgate has some lovely buildings too. As you say, that was the main route over the river towards Southport / Liverpool, although it's quite a strange road configuration crossing the rover where it does, the road having to take a couple of 90 degree bends to get over the river and up to the city centre.

I've spent hours poring over old Preston maps, in fact I've got a huge one in a frame on the wall. Fascinating stuff!

I think it’s a disgrace that to build the new bridge they demolished the old warehouse at the dock entrance which was at the end of Marsh Lane.

Originally that was next to the river before they diverted it slightly south to build the docks.

A real piece of history gone ☹️

Yes. I was surprised too. Apparently the viaduct started to experience subsidence. The solution was to fill all the arches, 57 of them, to prevent any collapse. They are still there buried.

I've walked this route many times into Preston from Lostock Hall and if you look closely there are still traces of the original structure.

As it's no longer a railway route I'd love it to be excavated and returned to its original state. It'd make a fine example of our past history. Imagine the work put in to build all those arches? Proper graft!
Our sadistic PE teacher used to make us run all the way to the river and back down that line. The track and ballast were still down late 70's, early 80's. I think you might even be related to him. ;)

Is this the bridge you're referring to?

Never mind, a big B&M Bargains is going to replace the Homebase store on the Docks🙄

New bridge finished and about 40/50yrs later.

4056510889_a8d4f4141d_w.jpg
QVNIMTEyNzYzMzYy.jpg