PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Preston Docks

europne

Patron
Has a new scheme been suggested recently for the docks and if so has anyone got any links to the proposals.

I’ve always thought it was a very underused area, the retail development could have been put anywhere, bit of a waste siting it there.

A lot of history in that area, be good to see it being used better.

I'd like to see a few boat bars/ restaurants dotted along it, like you get in Prague. Cheaper than a full on development.

I'd like to see a few boat bars/ restaurants dotted along it, like you get in Prague. Cheaper than a full on development.
So would I. It would then possibly need a short transport link (such as a tram line) to get people to and from the city centre, and the docks, once cleaned up, could become a decent weekend hub of activity.

Has a new scheme been suggested recently for the docks and if so has anyone got any links to the proposals.

I’ve always thought it was a very underused area, the retail development could have been put anywhere, bit of a waste siting it there.

A lot of history in that area, be good to see it being used better.
Aye, there can't be too many cities in the country like Preston that are not by the sea, but still have a docks area?

Not directed to you pal - the OP - in any case tell me who's going to invest in the algae laden rat infested cesspit of the docks? Father Christmas?

I see Chiquitos is doing well.

Yeah, didn't see you responsed to everyone.

No chance the docks will get money when the high street is dying on its ass more than ever.

Weird that there seems to be loads of investment in accommodation though.

No chance - it's a shithole like the rest of town - and always will be - your deluded if you think any investment whatsoever will be forthcoming.
Preston is actually quite vibrant and exciting in comparison to neighbouring towns such as Blackburn, Burnley and Balckburn. We are not and will never be a Manchester or Liverpool and as such have to cut our cloth accordingly.

'The Preston Model' has been widely lauded by observers, a model pioneered in Cleveland, Ohio to help build community wealth. There are a number of local run, artisan companies popping up around the city as a result. There are quite a few exciting buildings in the pipeline should they receive approval, expanding out of the city centre and up to the new university courtyard.

It's easy to say Preston is a s***hole as it is for any former mill town. We have areas that are in vast need of improvement but as far as similar sized towns and cities go, we're quite far ahead in terms of gentrification and attracting investment.

The Stoneygate Masterplan looks an exciting renovation of a part of town that has been long overdue a makeover. That end of Church Street or 'psycho alley' is a no-go part of town at present but the area to the back around Avenham is home to some of our most stunning buildings. The Stoneygate Masterplan could help flow and connect the areas around Avenham, Avenham Park and Winckley Square into the city centre's shopping district, removing a lot of the rot in the process.

The university divides opinion in Preston but you can't deny that it brings a wealth of positives. The UCLAN Masterplan is set to create a stunning new building as well as a huge courtyard that would act as a hub for that end of town. This will no doubt reinvigorate Friargate and the surrounding area, again parts of town that were previously neglected and run down.

If we could get investment into the docklands, this would be huge for the city. The area is vastly underutilised and could really become a central hub for nightlife, entertainment and dining. The urban beach plans do look a bit 'out there' and I doubt that will be picked up but it just goes to show what could be done to that area with a little forward thinking and creativity.

I'm 58 - Preston - born and bred - Tulketh - the Lane Ends brought up where our playgrounds were the terraced house backstreets.
So don't you think I know a shithole when I see one?

I've witnessed the decline of this town through a total lack of funding to what it is today - a mess.

If you think there is going to be some sort of post Covid high street and elsewhere resurrection your bonkers.

Preston has a lot of advantages over othe Lancashire towns, and Meeseeks identifies a lot of the positives.

Major housing expansion over the last 20 years to the south and now major developments to the north.

If you look at East Lancashire Ramsbottom and Rawtenstall are on the up with hospitality and leisure offers, they could have been described as shit holes too but are bucking the trend of other places like Haslingden.

I feel that Preston still lags in better quality hospitality, the covered market could have been far better utilised as a large eatery and entertainment venue as other markets around Manchester have been developed.

The docks offers amazing potential.

I'm 58 - Preston - born and bred - Tulketh - the Lane Ends brought up where our playgrounds were the terraced house backstreets.
So don't you think I know a shithole when I see one?

I've witnessed the decline of this town through a total lack of funding to what it is today - a mess.

If you think there is going to be some sort of post Covid high street and elsewhere resurrection your bonkers.

Well I’m 68, born in Preston but I’ve lived in Manchester, Bolton and now in East Lancs and I know all the towns around Lancashire very well.

You should take a look at some of these other places Toad and you will start to understand the potential in Preston.

All towns and cities have good and bad bits, Preston is no different.

You shouldn’t be so critical, Preston has great development potential.

I take it you haven't been down when the Algae is in full bloom? - breathtaking - for the wrong reason.
The regeneration other than the housing was supposed to happen in the mid eighties and were still waiting- at least we got the Manxman.

Well I’m 68, born in Preston but I’ve lived in Manchester, Bolton and now in East Lancs and I know all the towns around Lancashire very well.

You should take a look at some of these other places Toad and you will start to understand the potential in Preston.

All towns and cities have good and bad bits, Preston is no different.

You shouldn’t be so critical, Preston has great development potential.

Bolton? - well at least you know what a correct Rail / Bus Interchange looks like not some turd polished carbuncle.