PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Preston Market Development

https://twitter.com/blogpreston/status/1089780363126222848?s=19

Seems all is not good with the part two of the Preston market development as Cllr Martyn Rawlinson reveals no contracts have been signed with those responsible for building the cinema and leisure complex that will replace the old market building and car park. He has also stated PCC 'need an investor'.

Having been told that many market stalls are really struggling due to lack of trade and high rents this could be very bad news indeed as a lot of traders signed long term deals expecting business to really pick up once the complex was built.

I sincerely hope this all works out but for no deals to be in place a few months before the demolition of the old site is complete doesn't feel me full of hope.

Hmmm, yeah a tad concerning to hear this Sav.

Given all the demolition works was cracking on, I just assumed it was all done and dusted and the cinema complex would start to be built once this demolition was boxed off.

This development would be great for the city centre and the direction they are trying to push it, so I truly hope this all works out.

Sign of the times, sadly. Im not sure Id want to invest in any project right now either. Look at Ikea at Cuerden, for example.

Countries in a not too good place right now.

Not good.

There are several cinemas knocking about, I always thought it was an odd place to build one to be honest.

I'd go for an ice rink :)

So potentially we just have an empty concrete space for a couple of years... lovely.

I think a cinema in the centre is needed, the Vue & the Odeon (which is dated) is a fair walk for people who don't drive, teenagers/ students etc. Keeps people in the town centre, spending money.

Other than getting pissed, there's no entertainment in the town centre other than the Guild Hall.

sf;n3427590 said:
So potentially we just have an empty concrete space for a couple of years... lovely.

I think a cinema in the centre is needed, the Vue & the Odeon (which is dated) is a fair walk for people who don't drive, teenagers/ students etc. Keeps people in the town centre, spending money.

Other than getting pissed, there's no entertainment in the town centre other than the Guild Hall.

A cinema is definitely needed in town and with a good sized car park as part of the development and near the bus station would work well. I do wonder why Rigby has sat on the one next to Toks for over twenty years and let it rot but that's another story.

If this part of the development fails then the market is likely to go with it as I would guess many of those with both short and long term leases will have it written into their contract that if the entertainment block/car park doesn't happen they can upsticks and move out.

Nobber;n3427583 said:
Not good.

There are several cinemas knocking about, I always thought it was an odd place to build one to be honest.

I'd go for an ice rink :)

You're right, a smaller cinema (not 11 screens) and an ice rink would be a far better solution in my book.

I assumed everything was all done and dusted - to read this news is very concerning. The council have got a lot of questions to answer.

shabbagaz;n3427739 said:
I assumed everything was all done and dusted - to read this news is very concerning. The council have got a lot of questions to answer.

To get traders into the market under the impression the whole development was signed and sealed and it was simply a matter of time before it was completed could make things very interested if things fall through or aren't finished in a reasonable amount of time. Some stalls have signed seven year leases @ £18k a year rent.

Isn't that just with the demolition?

DyQofVJXgAENzMA

Well that press released didn't exactly say anything doom & gloomy, but then it didn't really say anything new or of note either.

Further Blog Preston article shows Cinema complex will be completed a year behind schedule and talks with the cinema company are still ongoing.

Cllrs Rawlinson and Gale have resorted to blocking people asking why this hasn't already been signed and sealed and what Rawlinson meant by the project still needing an 'investor' and a 'developer'.

Further Blog Preston article shows Cinema complex will be completed a year behind schedule and talks with the cinema company are still ongoing.

Cllrs Rawlinson and Gale have resorted to blocking people asking why this hasn't already been signed and sealed and what Rawlinson meant by the project still needing an 'investor' and a 'developer'.
I doubt its a very big issue, we had similar with the new chorley cinema development. all now well under construction.

the problem for so many retailers is the financial climate right now. Nothing sinister its just how it is.

Oh and isnt it true that Mr Gale blocked you several years ago after an incident when you were behaving like a nob at Port Vale Andy?

Oooh sounds like the Tory boy is getting off on this.
Without realising the irony that it’s Tory party policy causing the uncertainty in all sectors at the moment. The same happened with the Ikea development - in a Tory area.

The truth is councils (of all persuasions) are bearing the brunt of central government decision making.