PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Preston North End v Watford - 20/08/22 - 15:00 - Championship

Lowe at the fans forum said something along the lines he was giving Riis some "tough love".

However he's handling him it isn't working.

Like him or not the fact still remains he is our best hope & most regular supply of goals.

I like Lowe. He has got us playing some good stuff and long may it continue but we are going to have to accept he has annoying traits about his management. It's a question of everyone fitting into his system rather than him using his best tools effectively to get the most points out of the squad being one of them. If it works, no worries.

Yeah much better pre-game than the shite we usually get.

Let’s have more of that before Blackpool instead of Belinda fucking Carlisle please
The Belinda Carlisle song is now one of our terrace chants. Maybe that's why someone has decided to play it.

I like Lowe. He has got us playing some good stuff and long may it continue but we are going to have to accept he has annoying traits about his management. It's a question of everyone fitting into his system rather than him using his best tools effectively to get the most points out of the squad being one of them. If it works, no worries.

Fair assessment.

It's fine when we're playing as well as we are (even if we aren't winning the games) but the test will be when we aren't putting in the performances.

He's very forthright about the way he wants to play which is fair enough but one of the criticisms levelled at Alex Neil was the lack of a Plan B & I do wonder if RL is similar.

Time will tell I guess.

Fair assessment.

It's fine when we're playing as well as we are (even if we aren't winning the games) but the test will be when we aren't putting in the performances.

He's very forthright about the way he wants to play which is fair enough but one of the criticisms levelled at Alex Neil was the lack of a Plan B & I do wonder if RL is similar.

Time will tell I guess.
is playing 2 up top with 3 behind and 1 up top with 4 behind not a Plan A then Plan B ???

Hasnt this been true of all our successful managers in recent years, ( not saying Lowes successful yet). I’m sure, for example, that at one point Moyes refused to play Kurt Nogan, in the play offs IIRC.

Sign a striker, drop/ sell DJ, and play Parrott behind the new guy & Riis.
DJ was very poor Saturday but we shouldn't let it hide the fact that he's a very good player at this level and should be giving him a new two-year deal as a matter of urgency.

DJ was very poor Saturday but we shouldn't let it hide the fact that he's a very good player at this level and should be giving him a new two-year deal as a matter of urgency.
Ho hum, that could be debated!

On the one hand, yep, hes a very good player when on song.

On the other, looking at his career with us a this level, there's a record of inconsistency where he can be a virtual passenger for spells. He's now almost 30 and that isn't likely to change.

Do we want to be committing a big wage on a player who'd be pretty much 32 or 33 by the time his contract ended?

On the other, looking at his career with us a this level, there's a record of inconsistency where he can be a virtual passenger for spells. He's now almost 30 and that isn't likely to change.

Do we want to be committing a big wage on a player who'd be pretty much 32 or 33 by the time his contract ended?
When he's as good as DJ, yeah.

Are you getting as good as DJ for less. That's the only question.

Fair assessment.

Time will tell I guess.
He literally switches between playing one up front and two up front in games.

Alex Neil stuck to one formation in his first season. And actually him changing the line up formation and over thinking the tactics became his downfall later on in his career at Preston.

Hasnt this been true of all our successful managers in recent years, ( not saying Lowes successful yet). I’m sure, for example, that at one point Moyes refused to play Kurt Nogan, in the play offs IIRC.

To a degree I suppose but it's so prevalent with Lowe. Moyes' annoying trait (and he did this a lot at clubs after us and still does) is that he will always back graft over talent. Always.

With Lowe it's 'the system' over talent. So Ledson is see as vastly better than McCann because he fits the system. I can't imagine many of our managers doing that. I'm not complaining though, if it works, good.

None of our other midfielders are capable of picking up those little pockets of space, or carrying the ball like DJ can. He's inconsistent, but those traits are tough to find.

Woodburn is probably the closest match, but I've been pretty unimpressed with his performances thus far. McCann, Ledson and any of the other squad players don't offer what DJ can

None of our other midfielders are capable of picking up those little pockets of space, or carrying the ball like DJ can. He's inconsistent, but those traits are tough to find.

Woodburn is probably the closest match, but I've been pretty unimpressed with his performances thus far. McCann, Ledson and any of the other squad players don't offer what DJ can
At his best, yep, entirely agree.

Question is how close we think he can continue to be that player, how regularly and for how long and weigh this up against salary.

To me it’s far from a no brainer.

At his best, yep, entirely agree.

Question is how close we think he can continue to be that player, how regularly and for how long and weigh this up against salary.

To me it’s far from a no brainer.

Im never keen on 'selling yourself into a problem.' We are scrambling about for a right back in the last days of the 4th window since we sold Fisher.

In my view, a creative 10 is more difficult to replace than a fullback, so if it can be avoided, I'd rather keep DJ about

Thank God you're not in charge of dishing out contracts.

Why don't we go all in & give Seani a 5 year deal.