Project Big Picture

pneal

Manager
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...an-utd-liverpool-driving-project-big-picture/

My thoughts: A lot of sensible proposals with one massive caveat.

1. Premier League reduced to 18 teams: probably a good idea both for English clubs in Europe and the national team. Bad for PNE as we'd have (even) less chance of ever making it there.
2. Parachute payments abolished: Definitely a good thing. Might even offset the reduced chance of promotion if we could compete on a level playing field.
3. 25% of Premier League revenue to be shared out equitably between EFL clubs: Definitely a good idea. Would hopefully stop some grand old clubs going to the wall. This replaces parachute payments with a much fairer system.
4. League Cup and Community Shield abolished: Yeah, fine, I don't think anyone's that bothered.
5. Only the nine longest-running Prem clubs get a vote and only six need to vote in favour to make changes: a massive no. It would basically mean the big six could do what the want: including presumably rolling back on all of the above should they wish!

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...an-utd-liverpool-driving-project-big-picture/

My thoughts: A lot of sensible proposals with one massive caveat.

1. Premier League reduced to 18 teams: probably a good idea both for English clubs in Europe and the national team. Bad for PNE as we'd have (even) less chance of ever making it there.
2. Parachute payments abolished: Definitely a good thing. Might even offset the reduced chance of promotion if we could compete on a level playing field.
3. 25% of Premier League revenue to be shared out equitably between EFL clubs: Definitely a good idea. Would hopefully stop some grand old clubs going to the wall. This replaces parachute payments with a much fairer system.
4. League Cup and Community Shield abolished: Yeah, fine, I don't think anyone's that bothered.
5. Only the nine longest-running Prem clubs get a vote and only six need to vote in favour to make changes: a massive no. It would basically mean the big six could do what the want: including presumably rolling back on all of the above should they wish!
You missed out:
a) One automatic relegation from the Prem.
b) One automatic promotion from the Championship
c) the clubs placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Championship would be joined by the club 2nd to bottom in the Prem in the play-offs either to be promoted or remain in the Prem.

Also, in point 1 above you didn't mention that for one season there would be no promotion from the Championship to the Prem therefore, what would all Championship clubs be playing for apart from relegation to League 1?

OP
P

pneal

Manager
You missed out:
a) One automatic relegation from the Prem.
b) One automatic promotion from the Championship
c) the clubs placed 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Championship would be joined by the club 2nd to bottom in the Prem in the play-offs either to be promoted or remain in the Prem.

Also, in point 1 above you didn't mention that for one season there would be no promotion from the Championship to the Prem therefore, what would all Championship clubs be playing for apart from relegation to League 1?
I don't believe that's correct. The telegraph stated that there would be two automatic relegation slots and two automatic promotion slots, plus as you say a playoff between three championship sides and the third from bottom prem team. So really not that different from now except the sixth place team in the championship would miss out on a 25% chance (being generous) of promotion.
Also, as I understand it the introduction would be phased, so there would still be promotion/relegation every season, albeit one fewer slot for two years.

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
I don't believe that's correct. The telegraph stated that there would be two automatic relegation slots and two automatic promotion slots, plus as you say a playoff between three championship sides and the third from bottom prem team. So really not that different from now except the sixth place team in the championship would miss out on a 25% chance (being generous) of promotion.
Also, as I understand it the introduction would be phased, so there would still be promotion/relegation every season, albeit one fewer slot for two years.
I must have read a different version of it. Your version sounds a lot better but I am still against it. (y)

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron

I don't think that's right is it? When they reduced the league previously it was limited to 1 auto and 1 play off winner promoted and 4 relegated so suspect it would be similar if this went through.

Which I highly doubt it will, certainly not everything and certainly not in the current state.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Parry made a very persuasive case on Sky Sports News earlier... 25% of premier league revenues is a very attractive amount - and an end to parachute payments... these two measures should reduce the gap between FL and Prem and I don't this these should be underestimated.

Also immediate payments* that would save clubs from going bankrupt, which is a very real possibility right now (*a pundit pointed out that the small print shows that these up front payments are 'in addition' but an advance on revenues they'd have got in future).

But something that removes one member one vote seems fundamentally wrong, a very big price to pay - with the killer factor being that, with all the votes in the hands of the big six / big nine... are these 'attractive' terms cast in stone... or will they be voted down and diminished at the earliest opportunity?! And what other small print is in there?

Don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

I hadn't seen your thread @pneal when I wrote this on the other thread.... but it pretty much aligned to yours.

JFK-1

Advisor to the Owner
I feel it's just another scam to nudge the top echelon like Liverpool and Man U ever further ahead of the also rans. The loss of two home games is a hard blow to many. Probably most. And it's suspected the reduction is designed to give the top 6 more space for the likes of lucrative pre season glamour games and perhaps an expansion of Euro matches.

You can be guaranteed it's not being designed to benefit the 'also rans'

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Why do they want to reduce the Prem by two teams? It cannot be anything to do with too many games being played because the other year when we had the Beast from the East because given games were called off, the Manchester United squad, (and a few other Prem teams) flew off to sunnier places and played a couple of friendly games and I think Man Utd went somewhere in Asia but I cannot say for definite

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Why do they want to reduce the Prem by two teams? It cannot be anything to do with too many games being played because the other year when we had the Beast from the East because given games were called off, the Manchester United squad, (and a few other Prem teams) flew off to sunnier places and played a couple of friendly games and I think Man Utd went somewhere in Asia but I cannot say for definite

They'll badge it as that and how it will benefit the national team when in reality it's freeing up space in the calendar for other matches which will earn them far more cash i.e. some sort of Super League / Cup / tour of Asia / Middle East.

It's like when they moan about players being tired and not having a winter break yet these clubs go off for pre and post season tournaments all over the world.

Barack

First Team
I'm surprised this isn't in the main PNE Forum given how crucial it is. There's real concern over some aspects especially the voting rights however there's also some very good points. Without any meaningful alternatives I can see this going through albeit with some tweaks, the EFL is on the brink for many clubs and this resolves the immediate threat of closure for many.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm surprised this isn't in the main PNE Forum given how crucial it is. There's real concern over some aspects especially the voting rights however there's also some very good points. Without any meaningful alternatives I can see this going through albeit with some tweaks, the EFL is on the brink for many clubs and this resolves the immediate threat of closure for many.
It’s on there too