What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Race riots in Leicester

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
True, figures are a bit out of date but in 2011 Muslims outnumbered Hindus 5 to 1 in Preston. However, in Deepdale, a "multicultural area" it was 300 - 1. However, Indians outnumbered Asians 5 - 1; the vast majority of Muslims in Deepdale are Indian - the same ethnic make up as East Leicester.

If anything Deepdale possibly has fewer Hindus now than a decade ago - certainly a Hindu family I knew living there worked every hour they could to afford to move away.
Do they get aggro ? I always thought most folks lived peacefully in Deepdale.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
No, we are not in agreement. What has happened in the past month or so is different to petty disagreements Muslims & Hindus have all the time. This RSS group, or whatever name they go by, will cause thousands of Muslims to riot in Leicester if they're allowed to continue their antics.
So the Muslims are brainwashed and cannot think for themselves and cannot see through groups like that? Or is it just the young amongst those groups?

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
This is an interesting insight from back in 2010. I was in the city, teaching in an inner city school about a decade before.
It confirms most of what I observed from time spent with the kids and speaking to parents.
Most of the established community, Muslim and Hindu had arrived via east Africa. Mostly Gujrati with a common language, more racial similarities than differences.
There was no sign of violence or even conflict, some comments lead me to believe that some of the hindu kids looked down slightly on some Muslim kids but that was it.
The whole city was pretty much as harmonious as you could imagine. A completely different feel to it than a northern town like Blackburn or Bradford from a race relations perspective.
I think the religious demographic has changed a bit since my time there.
The hypothesis that these tensions have been 'imported' have a lot of credence in my view
So people want to come here, but they want to maintain the culture they had in their homeland? They need to,
leave their culture at the arrivals area at the airport.

Do they get aggro ? I always thought most folks lived peacefully in Deepdale.
Depends what you mean by aggro. It seems the Hindu family I knew in Deepdale were the last Hindu family on their street - off at George's road. They certainly felt very uncomfortable. However, they were born in India and spoke little English and Hindi whereas the majority of their neighbours were born in Preston but spoke Gujarati at home. Only one example and could be argued that neighbours don't always get along with each other in any street.

So the Muslims are brainwashed and cannot think for themselves and cannot see through groups like that? Or is it just the young amongst those groups?
When I was living on Brookfield if there was word going round that a group from another part of town was coming round to cause issues I'd have ran and hid in the attic - a few of my neighbours might have got tooled up and gone and "defended" the area but I would have definitely not been there and not caused any issues 😉

In 2001 it wasn't just the young Asians in Bradford out rioting - it seemed like at times it was any able bodied male under 60. However, the "youth" in Muslim communities will listen to the elders more if they're told to stay at home - providing the elders feel like the police can do their job properly.

What it seems like has happened in Leicester is that Hindu nationalists have brought their ideology over here and it needs stamping out fast.

daddyman16

Advisor to the Owner
The reports on social media of Hindu men attempting to kidnap a Muslim woman are apparently fake, the police say no such event never happened. Whether it did or didn't happen is irrelevant now.
There's just no way of knowing either way.

I just hope nothing happens our end of the woods in Lancashire.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/plea-peace-after-protest-durga-25069593

Leaders of all faiths in Sandwell today pledged solidarity and unity following a protest gathering outside a Hindu centre . Around 200 men gathered outside the Durga Bhawan Hindu temple and community centre in Spon Lane, Smethwick, last night, despite appeals from local faith leaders and police to stay away.

At one point some in the group attempted to climb the fence into the venue, triggering intervention by police in riot gear, who then formed a protective line to hold back the crowd. Some protestors, many in balaclavas, gestured aggressively and shouted slogans, while fireworks and missiles were thrown towards officers. There was one arrest.

The protest was planned after news emerged that the venue had booked a controversial Hindi preacher to give a sermon. The invite to Indian activist Sadhvi Rithambara was seen as particularly provocative in the aftermath of recent tensions in Leicester.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/plea-peace-after-protest-durga-25069593

Leaders of all faiths in Sandwell today pledged solidarity and unity following a protest gathering outside a Hindu centre . Around 200 men gathered outside the Durga Bhawan Hindu temple and community centre in Spon Lane, Smethwick, last night, despite appeals from local faith leaders and police to stay away.

At one point some in the group attempted to climb the fence into the venue, triggering intervention by police in riot gear, who then formed a protective line to hold back the crowd. Some protestors, many in balaclavas, gestured aggressively and shouted slogans, while fireworks and missiles were thrown towards officers. There was one arrest.

The protest was planned after news emerged that the venue had booked a controversial Hindi preacher to give a sermon. The invite to Indian activist Sadhvi Rithambara was seen as particularly provocative in the aftermath of recent tensions in Leicester.
Unfortunately we'll see more of these "protests" now. This isn't going to be good for either the Hindu or Muslim communities as it's always going to be subjective as to who a "controversial" preacher is.

daddyman16

Advisor to the Owner
Unfortunately we'll see more of these "protests" now. This isn't going to be good for either the Hindu or Muslim communities as it's always going to be subjective as to who a "controversial" preacher is.

I get why what she says in controversial and why it would cause people to get miffed off... However, I'm saying as a person of faith, when are we going to start growing a backbone?
A lot of religious folk get so offended when someone says something mean about God or about a prophet or religious figure that has been dead and buried for thousands of years. When did God or a pile of bones need humans to defend them against people saying mean things? 😂

Most, if not, all were born here.
There was a rumour doing the rounds last weekend that things started when a group from India came into the country on Portuguese passports. Not heard this come again since but heard things about the Tories doing deals with Modi.

Regardless of where those involved in last week's trouble were born there will be a lot more interest in Leicester this weekend. Luckily its an international weekend so Leicester City aren't at home so there's not going to be groups of football fans in the city which may have added to the tensions.

East Leicester was a target for the National Front back in the 70s but obviously the demographics have changed somewhat in the area since then.