PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Random thoughts.

If all the people in all the world refused to buy anything packaged in plastic for a month, would it change the governments inactivity in enforcing a change in the use of petrol-chemicals.

If power cuts start to happen in the winter months for hours at a time. Would shops/supermarkets be able to cope without digital calculators on tills. Many moons ago I got a job for a few weeks in a pub and costing had to be done with mental arithmetic.

Wondering if those maths skills are still taught in schools?

If power cuts start to happen in the winter months for hours at a time. Would shops/supermarkets be able to cope without digital calculators on tills. Many moons ago I got a job for a few weeks in a pub and costing had to be done with mental arithmetic.

Surely the bigger issue is that prices aren’t stickers on most products. Adding up at the till will be a minor inconvenience vs not being able to read a barcode to get the actual price

Surely the bigger issue is that prices aren’t stickers on most products. Adding up at the till will be a minor inconvenience vs not being able to read a barcode to get the actual price

True, I didn't think of that, it would be chaos. The digital hand-held sticker machines are probably reliant on wireless transmissions. Actually I am not sure they are.

I was in New York a few years ago when all the power was cut. For 24 hours it was chaos. Shops wouldn't or couldn't sell food. All the 10000s of people who commute to Manhattan could get home, loads slept on the streets that night.
We were at the airport and our bags had been checked in at the moment. Even though we had some cash they wouldn't take it. We were very hungry, tired, thirsty. The only provisions were when McDonald's sent someone down with stale buns, bananas and bottles of water at a dollar a chuck. A night you don't forget for all the wrong reasons.
There were no contingency plans that in place I do think know if we'd be more prepared here. It would be good to know if there was.

I was in New York a few years ago when all the power was cut. For 24 hours it was chaos. Shops wouldn't or couldn't sell food. All the 10000s of people who commute to Manhattan could get home, loads slept on the streets that night.
We were at the airport and our bags had been checked in at the moment. Even though we had some cash they wouldn't take it. We were very hungry, tired, thirsty. The only provisions were when McDonald's sent someone down with stale buns, bananas and bottles of water at a dollar a chuck. A night you don't forget for all the wrong reasons.
There were no contingency plans that in place I do think know if we'd be more prepared here. It would be good to know if there was.
The big 2003 power cut? I was there then! Luckily for us the deli’s just took cash and knew how to add things up. Had some good beers on the street that evening.

Back in 2015, when the EU trashed the banking system here, people couldn't get money from banks, we had a bank run, and things were tense.

Shops simply ran a credit book and life went on. One of the advantages of living in the countryside - things run on trust!