Rate the movie you've last seen

Pumba

Reserve
Foxtrot- 8/10

New Israeli drama about grief, war and a host of other things.

Moving and unsettling in equal measure, very watchable.

222Mark

Serial killer of note
Patron
The Clovehitch killer, brilliant film about a young lad who suspects his dad is a serial killer, well well worth a watch.

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
Stalker (1979)

In an unnamed country at an unspecified time, there is a fiercely protected post-apocalyptic wasteland known as The Zone. An illegal guide (Aleksandr Kajdanovsky), whose mutant child suggests unspeakable horrors within The Zone, leads a writer (Anatoliy Solonitsyn) and a scientist (Nikolay Grinko) into the heart of the devastation in search of a mythical place known only as The Room. Anyone who enters The Room will supposedly have any of his earthly desires immediately fulfilled.

Russian with English subtitles - Probably the most immersive/atmospheric film I've ever seen. The cinematography is something else.

Claustrophobic, gritty, dark, bleak, damp. Exceptional.

9/10

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
The Ascent (1977)

Two Soviet soldiers leave their starving unit to search a nearby farm for supplies. When they see the Germans have reached it first, they have to retreat deep into enemy territory.

Another Russian entry. Again, very atmospheric and creates a strong feeling of despair and hopelessness in a dangerous, Nazi occupied, frozen barren countryside during the war.

Hardcore stuff, this.

8/10

Pumba

Reserve
Wreckers- 5/10

Psychological drama about a husband and wife trying to build a life in the English countryside. Their efforts are undermined, however, when the husband’s brother returns to the village and starts insinuating himself into their lives.

It’s a decent idea but poorly executed. Characters are painted as deceitful and inscrutable and a warped rural atmosphere is suggested but the style is a bit too naturalistic to really carry off the whole thing. The film is also guilty of under-exploiting the talents of a very good cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Clare Foy and Shaun Evans (of Endeavour fame). I think the direction has let them down as none are really on top form.

Pumba

Reserve
Beau Travail- 10/10

French drama about the rivalry between a Sergeant and a Private in the French Foreign Legion.

Elliptical, weird, arresting, seductive, seemingly pointless but completely mesmerising. An absolute must-watch.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Can people please say where they viewed the film so that us others can then check it out be it the Cinema, Sky, Netflix, DVD, etc.

Cheers.

Pumba

Reserve
Can people please say where they viewed the film so that us others can then check it out be it the Cinema, Sky, Netflix, DVD, etc.

Cheers.
Sorry for that oversight mate. I actually watched it on something called Curzon12, because I work for the cinema chain, but I’m sure it can be easily streamed online. BFI might even have it on demand on their website.

Pumba

Reserve
Border- 7/10

Swedish film about a woman of mysterious origin who works for border patrol. She meets one of her own kind and her life slowly begins to change.

Good without being exceptional. Contains one very weird but very entertaining sex scene.

On at most cinemas at the moment.