Rate the movie you've last seen

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Watched The King's Choice on the BBC iplayer partly because I couldn't find anything else to watch, partly because of some good reviews. War films and dry war dramas are not normally my bag but I have to say this was very good. It covers the period in history of the Nazi invasion of Norway. What comes across is how terrifying it must have been for the Norwegian people to be subjected to the sheer brutality of the Nazi war machine and the malevolence of Nazi propaganda. The king of Norway is portrayed as a true hero. 8/10

beagleman

Advisor to the Owner
Halloween Kills.... Where to begin.... Ffs..
Huge kill count does not a good movie make... How many times has this bloke been shot, stabbed, fallen, set on fire, run over, beaten... Still gets up...
You'd think someone by now might think to chop his head off or his hands.
Bloody infuriating film... Still one last one to come in 2023...

jarjar

Manager
Venom: Let There Be Carnage - A good laugh, not too serious. A good watch if you're into those superhero films. Good post-credits scene too which ties things nicely into the next Spider-Man film.

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
The Guilty.

I didn't make much of Gyllenhaal's acting, thought the script was lame. Nobody would say half the things he said on that headset.
I thought maybe the storyline would reveal he had PTSD or something, but turns out he was just a dick.
Too many plot holes, especially noticeable if you work in a dispatcher/call hander role
The ending wasn't well thought out.

One thing I liked was that the film was filmed in that one office, it led to some mystery and the fact we never got to see Emily or Henry, never got to see their story made the twist a bit better. Also proves how quick men are to fall for a woman with a nice sounding voice 😂

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
The Guilty.

I didn't make much of Gyllenhaal's acting, thought the script was lame. Nobody would say half the things he said on that headset.
I thought maybe the storyline would reveal he had PTSD or something, but turns out he was just a dick.
Too many plot holes, especially noticeable if you work in a dispatcher/call hander role

One thing I liked was that the film was filmed in that one office, it led to some mystery and the fact we never got to see Emily or Henry, never got to see their story made the twist a bit better. Also proves how quick men are to fall for a woman with a nice sounding voice 😂

Have you seen the Danish version? It's absolutely fantastic.

Goes by the same name and has a near identical plot.

Definitely worth a watch if you ever come across it, but I guess now you've seen the American version, it won't be much of spectacle because you pretty much know what happens.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron

Definitely worth a watch if you ever come across it, but I guess now you've seen the American version, it won't be much of spectacle because you pretty much know what happens.
I hadn’t heard of this, looks worth a watch.

Portishead

Manager
In the Electric Mist on Prime. Tommy Lee Jones as a cop in the deep south on a murder hunt struggling with his demons. Great acting, script and scenes. Marvellous.

8/10

cpnend

Advisor to the Owner
The Guilty.

I enjoyed the film and thought it was well worth watching, if a bit typically ‘American’ at the end.
For what it’s worth I thought it was very reminiscent of ‘Locke’ in the way it was made, (an excellent film), but not as good.

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
I enjoyed the film and thought it was well worth watching, if a bit typically ‘American’ at the end.

Oh yeah, it was definitely worth a watch. I just feel a bit robbed because I suspect the original didn't have the hyperbole that American films generally have.

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
For what it’s worth I thought it was very reminiscent of ‘Locke’ in the way it was made, (an excellent film), but not as good.

Locke is such a good film. Criminally underrated.

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron

The Danish one was on Channel 4 the other night. Enjoyed it.

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Just watched the Green Knight on Amazon.

I quite like Dev Patel, not least because he isn’t a short arse unlike most actors.

He’s decent enough in it, although my initial thoughts are that the five star reviews were very generous.

I think I enjoyed most episodes of Merlin more tbh.

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
The Forgotten Battle on Netflix. WWII film that’s a little different, even Mrs LiS, who usually hates war films, enjoyed it.
Watched this last night, as you say, its different form the normal war films but it was a really good film, good to see a WW2 film that isn't entirely from the British/American perspective

222Mark

Serial killer of note
Staff member
Patron
No Time To Die 7.5/10

I enjoyed it overall, there's some superb action scenes, car chases etc but a few things niggled me about it, I won't mention them yet so I don't spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

Was it better than Skyfall? No, but It was far better than Spectre though.