PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Regular nights out

Quarterly:
  • From PNE-Online's very own Tark: "Our Screaming Theatre group is doing 4 plays a year at Upstairs @ The Adelphi with a growing reputation, each with a 3 night run but we're not 'regular' yet. We bring a touch of the Edinburgh Fringe to Preston, and the kind of contemporary plays that you won't see in our city if it were not for us. Live theatre over a pint or 4 for £4? You can't beat it for value, honest!" - I'm sure he'll keep us up to date in this thread!
At long last - A Screaming Theatre update:
We've been in rehearsal for about a month now working towards our next production, which is -

Joe Penhall's

Some Voices

Upstairs @ The Adelphi, Nov 14, 15, 16, 2008 at 8.00pm

Some Voices is a funny and touching play about the loneliness of schizophrenia, unemployment, redundancy, alcoholism and domestic violence in an urban world. Ray is a gifted genius with schizophrenia, an illness which has a debilitating effect on his relationships with his exasperated brother Pete and his soon to be love interest Laura. Joe Penhall adapted his stage play into a film in 2000, which starred Daniel Craig.

Characters:
Ives : Michael (Nobber) McWilliams
Ray : Joseph Cooper
Pete : Tarquin (Nobber) Scott
Laura : Dawn Thomas
Dave : Chandar Singh

It's not a laugh a minute then, but there is humour in everything. As you can see, I'm playing the older brother of the schitzophrenic main character, Ray, and I run a sort of up-market greasy spoon cafe in London, where the play is set. The play will leave you questioning your own opinions on all aspects of mental illness and its treatment.

£4 a ticket for normal people.
£8 a ticket for Blackpoo fans who must stand on ladders and look through the windows in the pissin wind n rain - what goes around comes around.

Last edited:
Quarterly:
  • From PNE-Online's very own Tark: "Our Screaming Theatre group is doing 4 plays a year at Upstairs @ The Adelphi with a growing reputation, each with a 3 night run but we're not 'regular' yet. We bring a touch of the Edinburgh Fringe to Preston, and the kind of contemporary plays that you won't see in our city if it were not for us. Live theatre over a pint or 4 for £4? You can't beat it for value, honest!" - I'm sure he'll keep us up to date in this thread!

We're auditioning at The Angel, Lune St at 8.00p.m. this Weds, 7th Jan, for 2 plays to be performed this spring.

One is a 50min I Act play called Going Underground and has 7 parts, so it's ideal if you've never acted before and want to give something new a go this year. Play bumpf:
‘Going Underground’ by Christopher Morgan
You’ve got nothing better to do with your life, so what do you do with it. Simple, get on the Underground and go clockwise around the Circle Line, and keep going, all day. After all, if it’s variety your after you can always go anti-clockwise some days. From a girl named after Dorothy from ‘The Wizard of Oz, and a girl who has a phobia of transport through to a high-flying exec who’s fallen out with his partner and is trying to make it up to her via his mobile phone, seven individuals tell their story on tube as it goes round the Circle Line at morning rush hour...
Everyone welcome if you want to give it a go. :)

I don't know anything about the other play, but that will be a full ~2hr show performed at the Adelphi in March/April.

Comedy@53 Degrees!!!!

Comedy@53 Degrees!!!!

Fridays.........
Well every other Friday there is the the comedy night at 53 degrees!!! Fri 23rd has Steve Royle (the co-founder of Slaughterhouse live) playing, should be a good kick off to 2009!

Check out the website for more nights up and coming.....
www.53degrees.net

x x x x

Fridays.........
Well every other Friday there is the the comedy night at 53 degrees!!! Fri 23rd has Steve Royle (the co-founder of Slaughterhouse live) playing, should be a good kick off to 2009!

Check out the website for more nights up and coming.....
www.53degrees.net

x x x x

I'm there for LIVEWIRE on't 28th Feb.

Any hush hush info of possible gigs in't pipeline for 09?

PM if so. Cheers.

Last edited:
Every second Tuesday of the month, WarrenJoyce9 holds a sausage evening at his home in Penwortham.
The group discuss sausages, cook sausages then eat the sausages.
If you interested just contact WarrenJoyce9 by PM.

I'm there for LIVEWIRE on't 28th Feb.

Any hush hush info of possible gigs in't pipeline for 09?

PM if so. Cheers.

That would be telling!

Some good stuff in the pipeline but you will have to wait and see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Every second Tuesday of the month, WarrenJoyce9 holds a sausage evening at his home in Penwortham.
The group discuss sausages, cook sausages then eat the sausages.
If you interested just contact WarrenJoyce9 by PM.

Only snag is I'd have to go in my old banger. It might not get there from Licolnshire. Or Cumberland.

Going Underground by Christopher Morgan

Going Underground by Christopher Morgan

This 1 Act play about 9 characters on the Circle Line will be performed by Screaming Theatre upstairs at The Angel, Lune St on 7th March and at the Continental on 12 / 13 March (I'm not in it btw).
More details to follow.

But if anyone want to see me as Basil in Fawlty Towers at Whitechapel Village Hall, 22/23/24/25 April, PM me and I'll give you details

Next up @ The Adelphi

Next up @ The Adelphi

While I'm doing Fawlty Towers, Screaming Theatre introduce 3 new on-stage members to our next production, Bollocks, Upstairs @ The Adelphi on 23 / 24 / 25 April. It's about a soldier who's had his nuts shot off in The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Only £4 - more details to follow.

Eventually, these posts may get an pne-onliner to come to one of our shows! David Upton in the LEP gave Going Underground a good review last month.

Anyone into the performing arts, look out for The Preston Screaming TRinge Festival, which we're bringing to our city in the last week of July, this year, to a number of venues in the city centre.

Bollocks by Lee Hall

Bollocks by Lee Hall

Inspired by Ernst Toller's 'Hinkemann', Lee Hall (screenwriter of Billy Elliot and Cooking With Elvis) examines lives ruined by war. This intense dark comedy looks at the emotional and physical scars suffered by Peter, an ex-soldier who served in Northern Ireland, and his relationship with his wife and friends in a northern English town in the early 1990's, which will draw many parallels to the present day.

Bollocks is a stage adaptation of Lee Hall's original play for Radio 4, 'Gristle', which was first published in 1997.

Bollocks starts at 8.30pm, Upstairs @ The Adelphi, 23 -24 -25 April

Meanwhile, here's some publicity shots of me as Basil in Whitechapel Players' production of Fawlty Towers on Facebook :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6632519&id=520465596
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6632519&id=520465596#/photo.php?pid=6632521&id=520465596
Call Jane on 654371 if you want a £5 ticket for that - Curtain 7.30 at Whitechapel Village Hall, Wed 22 April - Sat 25 April.

The TRinge

The TRinge

For a run of 9 Regular Nights Out of theatre, comedy, live music and magic, come along to The TRinge shows at The Angel, The Adelphi, New Continental, Avenham Park Pavilion and Ship Inn from 23-31 July.
Find out about the 22 acts doing 50 odd performances in the city centre at www.tringe.co.uk
There is more to life than just football - especially in the summer!

Well Done Derek! :D

Did an interview about it on Radio Lancs today:
Here's their article about one of the Edinburgh Acts coming along to The TRinge:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2009/06/15/tringe_update.shtml

Here'e the BBC icast link to the interview if you want to find out more:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p003chf2/John_Gillmore_16_06_2009/
The show is 3hrs, and my interview is in 3 x 6 minute pieces between about 18mins & 58mins.
1 - Founding of The Tringe & Screaming Theatre, Venues etc,
2 - Comparisons with Edinburgh % Preston
3 - About my play in the festival - The Lift.

Last edited:
Me again.
The group's doing something different, Blood Wedding by a Spanish playright Lorca at the Conti on Thursday & Friday night. Only £5 - starts at 8pm. I'm on lights Thursrday, but off to Jimmy Carr at the Guildhall on Friday, so Nick's fettling the faders then.
http://www.freewebs.com/screamingtheatre/

Um, Tark's Amateur Theatre Thread rather than 'Regular nights out'. But we are still doing stuff throughout the year in city centre locations if there's more to your life than just beer and footy. First up, April 2 & 3 Upstairs @ The Adelphi:

This is a play that weaves together the personal and the political. The place may be Chile, the time the 1990s. On the other hand, it could be Argentina, Cambodia, South Africa, East Germany, Northern Ireland, Rwanda, Bosnia, even Egypt or Libya – any country where terrible things have been done and people are trying to rebuild their lives without being sure who to trust, or who to blame. Paulina is frightened when Gerardo is la...te arriving back from the city, more so when she hears an unfamiliar car approach. When she recognises the voice of the ‘good Samaritan’ who has brought her husband home, she sees a chance to redress what was done to her in the past and start to heal herself. But Gerardo is a member of the Commission set up to investigate past abuses; if Paulina takes the law into her own hands, will his work be jeopardised? And can we be sure that the stranger is guilty anyway?

Ariel Dorfman’s play was a sensation when it was first performed in 1991, and has become established as a theatre classic, drawing comparisons with Greek tragedy as well as with Dorfman’s friend Harold Pinter.

The Sunday Times wrote at the time:
‘This really is a play for today, for the age of revenge, when dictatorships crumble right and left and the victims, the living dead, emerge from the shadows and present their accounts.... This play is like Sophocles, a tragedy of being trapped in a polluted society where your past, your character and your free will send you on a collision course with an impersonal destiny. It is a terrifying moral thriller which combines brilliant theatricality with clear thought and fierce compassion.’

Death and the Maiden was filmed by Roman Polanski with Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley. This production by Screaming Theatre strips the drama back to its bare essentials, inviting the audience to share in the characters’ dilemma.

Cast:
Joseph Cooper
Marie Dixon
Mark Howard

Director:
Nigel Thomas

Last edited:
My Romantic History by D C Jackson

My Romantic History by D C Jackson

2nd up, as ST are doing 2 plays this spring, is my directorial debut for the group, also Upstairs @ The Adelphi on 14 /15 May. Only a fiver...

“Do you know how they get animals to breed in captivity? They put them in the same cage.”
One moment you’re colleagues at the office, but after Friday-night drinks and a quick grope, you’re suddenly an item. When 30somethings Tom and Amy get together they soon find themselves living in each other’s pockets. Haunted by the memories of their teenage sweethearts and other failed relationships, neither holds out much hope for their future together, but maybe it’s better than being left on the shelf?
My Romantic History is a warm, yet frank and gritty comedy set in Glasgow exploring coupling in the 21st century. It premiered at the Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh, in August 2010 and a cast of 5 play the 23 roles in this production by Screaming Theatre.
Over 18’s only, please.

This is ST's first primarily comic play, and being set in Glasgow, the language is cuntingly industrial - just so any fucker that does come along knows what to expect.
http://screamingtheatre.webs.com/