Reserve team

Brianjohn14

First Team
Why don't we have a reserve team that like we used to with the old central league we have quite a big squad and they all need game time there is a lot of players and the older youth players not getting enough game time so they are sitting in the stands .We need to improve these players with more competitive time

Korol

Football Expert
Patron
Costs a lot.

You don't only have to have more players on the payroll, but it increases the food expenses, travel expenses, amount of staff (a new manager, assistant, analysts, physio, kitman) etc etc...

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
Why don't we have a reserve team that like we used to with the old central league we have quite a big squad and they all need game time there is a lot of players and the older youth players not getting enough game time so they are sitting in the stands .We need to improve these players with more competitive time
I remember when I was a youngster (a long time ago) the bloke across the road used to give me his season ticket to go and watch reserve games in the Central League. (People were like that in those days). There would be a crowd of around 1000 on, and I’d see some cracking games. They are a distant memory now, and I never kept the team sheets/programmes. Wish I had, because I’m sure there were some big names.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
I remember when I was a youngster (a long time ago) the bloke across the road used to give me his season ticket to go and watch reserve games in the Central League. (People were like that in those days). There would be a crowd of around 1000 on, and I’d see some cracking games. They are a distant memory now, and I never kept the team sheets/programmes. Wish I had, because I’m sure there were some big names.
Remember seeing Ray Clemence in goal for Liverpool reserves in the late 60's. He didn't have a lot to do!We lost about 5-0.

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner

That was when the reserves played at Deepdale when the first team was away. They included top players coming back from injuries and up and coming stars.

europne

Advisor to the Owner

Matches on a Saturday, when you would wait for the guy to slot in the numbers for half time scores.

And wait after the game for the first team result coming through.

How communication has changed......

But they still managed to print the Pink in unbelievable time, with a full match report and tables updated, and distribute it in no time at all.

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
One of the forwards, in the early / mid 60's was called Preston and so we had Preston scoring for Preston !

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Matches on a Saturday, when you would wait for the guy to slot in the numbers for half time scores.

And wait after the game for the first team result coming through.

How communication has changed......

But they still managed to print the Pink in unbelievable time, with a full match report and tables updated, and distribute it in no time at all.
wasnt a full match report, just the first half but it was still there waiting with all the results by the time Id walked from deepdale to the bus station.

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Wasn't it printed in the middle of Church St/Fishergate back then?

By this time the 1960s newspapers were being printed at the Lancashire Evening Post headquarters in Fishergate where town centre shoppers could purchase copies hot off the presses with latest racing results and football or cricket scores in the late news column.
On a Saturday evening shortly before 6pm a queue would form to obtain a copy of the ‘Last Football’ essential reading for the sports fans of Preston.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Me too, Splash. I used to go on quite a few reserve games in the 70s as they were either free, or about 10p to get in, I can't remember. Liverpool, Man U, Everton and Villa would often put big name players out who were coming back from injury or who had recently been dropped. I'm sure I saw players like David Fairclough, Duncan McKenzie and Norman Whiteside to name just a few.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
wasnt a full match report, just the first half but it was still there waiting with all the results by the time Id walked from deepdale to the bus station.
Me and my mates as young lads would walk home from matches a few strides behind someone who, like many did in those days, carried a large transistor radio so you could here the other results. Failing that, we would even sometimes just stare through the windows of the nearby terraced houses as the 'tele-printer' was punching out the other scores on TV and no-one ever seemed to mind us doing it back then!

Farmboy

First Team
Costs a lot.

You don't only have to have more players on the payroll, but it increases the food expenses, travel expenses, amount of staff (a new manager, assistant, analysts, physio, kitman) etc etc...
“Food expenses” ???
That implies players not getting games aren’t eating anything ?
Maybe why Browne’s looking a bit lacklustre !

Walton

Forum Patron
Patron
One of the forwards, in the early / mid 60's was called Preston and so we had Preston scoring for Preston !

John “Lester” to his mates played for Walton High school who had at least four from his team sign for local teams.

Brian Crabtree was a goalie who signed for PNE also, Mick Cornall was also a goalie and he went to the plastics, and Brian Bannister who I personally thought was the best also signed for the Rovers, not bad for one school team.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
I seem to recall John Beck drumming up support for reserve games and I'm pretty sure we had an attendance for one game that rivalled Blackpool's first team attendances at the time. Can anyone remember details?