PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Reserve team

teams who dont have reserves / under 23's teams have manager who say they dont want 'set fixtures' they have to comply with - thatsa why they arrange bounce games that fit in with 'club schedules'....... I think thats a mistake as players need games and young pro's rarely get any !

teams who dont have reserves / under 23's teams have manager who say they dont want 'set fixtures' they have to comply with - thatsa why they arrange bounce games that fit in with 'club schedules'....... I think thats a mistake as players need games and young pro's rarely get any !
I understand the reasonings behind it but the lack of, "Competitive," games right through the academy systems is a mistake IMHO.

Some interesting names in the opposition line ups. Ex players Colin Greenall and Paul McGee in the Blackpool and Burnley line ups respectively.
Also had forgotten Lee Dixon had spent time at Burnley. Cheers for posting (y)

Some interesting names in the opposition line ups. Ex players Colin Greenall and Paul McGee in the Blackpool and Burnley line ups respectively.
I've got a lot of these sheets from the early 70's tucked away in the garage so it will be interesting to see what I find......

wasnt a full match report, just the first half but it was still there waiting with all the results by the time Id walked from deepdale to the bus station.
We caught the Holme slack bus to town and walked down the ginnell to buy it - you might have been in the queue if the bus was late !!

Matches on a Saturday, when you would wait for the guy to slot in the numbers for half time scores.

And wait after the game for the first team result coming through.

How communication has changed......

But they still managed to print the Pink in unbelievable time, with a full match report and tables updated, and distribute it in no time at all.
Those Evening Post delivery van drivers used to drive like maniacs ☺️ .

I remember seeing us play Man City reserves in the era of Franny Burns and David Sadler and 21 of the 22 players had played international football at some level, inc U16 etc. Can’t remember who hadn’t, but it was a north end player

That Liverpool reserves line-up is pretty interesting!

Some north end reserve names that ring distant bells. But the biggest surprise to me is seeing Gordon Coleman on team sheets as recently as 1982. I would have sworn he'd finished before 1980.

Mick Robinson at right back v Liverpool?
Is this our late bustling centre forward?

Indeed. A young David Mail at Villa too.

The Wayne Harrison for Blackpool is not the lad who joined Liverpool (and who sadly died a few years back).

Mick Robinson at right back v Liverpool?
Is this our late bustling centre forward?
I knew the other Mick Robinson. We ended up working together when he was released by North End. A right good lad, very modest and a very talented footballer. He carried on playing in non league football and was at Accrington Stanley for a while. I remember playing five aside with him a couple of times and no one could get near him. Happy Days. If by any rare chance you’re reading this Mick, get in touch.

Indeed. A young David Mail at Villa too.

The Wayne Harrison for Blackpool is not the lad who joined Liverpool (and who sadly died a few years back).
It's a different Wayne Harrison. The one who signed for Liverpool, joined from Oldham as a 17 year old. Despite the hype, he was plagued by injury and didn't make an impact. I think he retired in his early 20s.

I remember when I was a youngster (a long time ago) the bloke across the road used to give me his season ticket to go and watch reserve games in the Central League. (People were like that in those days). There would be a crowd of around 1000 on, and I’d see some cracking games. They are a distant memory now, and I never kept the team sheets/programmes. Wish I had, because I’m sure there were some big names.
I can remember going on the old central league games and you always had one wag in the crowd who would give some stick to any of the opposition players, especially if they were reasonably well known.
North End were playing Coventry City reserves and coming to the end of his playing career Bobby Gould was playing for Coventry. This wag was giving him some real stick. Gould took the ball down on the half way line perfectly and was just ready to lay it off when wag shouts at him something like "you nowt but a slow fat fucker now Gouldy"
Gould turns to pavilion paddock(only bit of ground and the stand open) still with the ball at his feet,and shouts back " that might be true, but I'm still getting paid to play and your paying to watch me." He then dummied the North Ender trying to tackle him and laid off a great pass to set up a Coventy attack to great roars of laughter from North End fans. 👍😄

I can remember going on the old central league games and you always had one wag in the crowd who would give some stick to any of the opposition players, especially if they were reasonably well known.
North End were playing Coventry City reserves and coming to the end of his playing career Bobby Gould was playing for Coventry. This wag was giving him some real stick. Gould took the ball down on the half way line perfectly and was just ready to lay it off when wag shouts at him something like "you nowt but a slow fat fucker now Gouldy"
Gould turns to pavilion paddock(only bit of ground and the stand open) still with the ball at his feet,and shouts back " that might be true, but I'm still getting paid to play and your paying to watch me." He then dummied the North Ender trying to tackle him and laid off a great pass to set up a Coventy attack to great roars of laughter from North End fans. 👍😄
Used to love all that interaction between supporters and players. Any player with a sense of humour could often win over the opposition crowd. Wasn’t it Gazza that used to pick up the Mars Bars thrown at him and take a bite?