PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Retained List (Confirmed)

I just wonder where Harrop would fit in a 3-5-2?? I think nowhere is the answer. Regardless of his ability, I just don't think it would suit him one bit an for that reason, as far as keeping him is concerned, I'm out!!
Where does DJ fit in a 352?

Both want the same position.

There's a lot more we need to get rid of yet, Stockley, Earl, Rafferty, Ripley for a start. I wouldn't be concerned if Huntington and Maguire left as well.
Stockley's ability to score at Div1 level is likely to make him a target for any club in that division with the Ā£500k to spend that I imagine we would want for him. I would be surprised but not displeased if he were still our player at the start of next season. Earl could be a big part of our future and it would be utter folly to offload him. Rafferty though he cannot be faulted for effort and Ripley are just not good enough and do need to be offloaded to clubs a division lower where both Rafferty especially would probably look quite useful. Huntington has been a massive player for us - maybe he has one season left as experienced back-up but he could form the bedrock for a team looking for promotion from Div1 and I am genuinely surprised no such club has made a move for him. Maguire still has his spirit and battling qualities but has totally lost the pace and sharpness that once made him so dangerous at this level - again a move a division lower or to Scotland where things are just a bit slower would be to everyone's benefit.

But at least Sports Rehab was using facts to support his case not making totally untrue statement presented as fact!

Not sure what the totally untrue statement was. He made very few starts for Burton despite being available for plenty of games.

Saying he wouldā€™ve started more if he hadnā€™t have been sent off is conjecture, not fact

Not sure what the totally untrue statement was. He made very few starts for Burton despite being available for plenty of games.

Saying he wouldā€™ve started more if he hadnā€™t have been sent off is conjecture, not fact

I mean it's not a perfectly reasonable read of the situation to say that he lost his place in the team because of the red card, which wouldn't have happened had he not been sent off.

Technically conjecture, but pretty hard to argue against credibly.

That's why he plays for pne in the championship. He's a class player, his contribution to our football team for the past 6+ years has been exceptional.

Had a poor season no doubt about it, look at the rest of the squad who have also been way below par, but I think some of the support talk about him in such a derogatory way, you're so wrong that he's never had a consistent run of form, he won player of the season last season for one.

Agree with the 1st bit but heā€™s been at the club 6 years & has won player of the season once?

He has ability absolutely but IMHO at least heā€™s woefully inconsistent.

DJ fits as the attacking midfielder of a 3 whether playing 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2

Fitness and form will determine whether he plays

Browne & Potts are competing for the same/similar role, leaving Harrop redundant

It was your statement that Earl " didn't even start for Burton ".

That's why he plays for pne in the championship. He's a class player, his contribution to our football team for the past 6+ years has been exceptional.

Had a poor season no doubt about it, look at the rest of the squad who have also been way below par, but I think some of the support talk about him in such a derogatory way, you're so wrong that he's never had a consistent run of form, he won player of the season last season for one.
I agree he has had consistent spells - 2019/20 and the half season in league one when he first arrived he was outstanding.
I think that's the frustration for a lot of fans, as for the remainder of his time here he's failed to hit those heights consistently.
Terrific player, just don't think we have seen it often enough over a 6 and a half year period.

I agree he has had consistent spells - 2019/20 and the half season in league one when he first arrived he was outstanding.
I think that's the frustration for a lot of fans, as for the remainder of his time here he's failed to hit those heights consistently.
Terrific player, just don't think we have seen it often enough over a 6 and a half year period.
But we must accept it as part of where we are as a club, if he played at his best always then he wouldn't be playing for us, and none of our squad do play to their peak all the time, maybe Rafferty, and I mean that, just his peak isn't championship standard fullback.

Browne & Potts are competing for the same/similar role, leaving Harrop redundant
Fitness and form, but if we play direct football he's not as effective as the ball bypasses him so its more Browne/Potts sort of strength

By

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we are happy to sell DJ if a reasonable offer comes in. If we are prepared to sell a player for a decent fee, I think he would be first choice.

By

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we are happy to sell DJ if a reasonable offer comes in. If we are prepared to sell a player for a decent fee, I think he would be first choice.

Inclined to agree here. His new contract was pretty short I think.

Inclined to agree here. His new contract was pretty short I think.
If I recall correctly it was mentioned when he signed that there may be a release clause.

I wouldn't let him go with a replacement, creative type midfielder coming in but I don't think selling him now would be as damaging as it would have seemed last summer.

Don't think he has benefitted this season from us being very direct for basically the whole season.

I mean it's not a perfectly reasonable read of the situation to say that he lost his place in the team because of the red card, which wouldn't have happened had he not been sent off.

Technically conjecture, but pretty hard to argue against credibly.

Iā€™m not saying it is a bad argument, just definitely not a fact. If he was that good heā€™d have got back into the first team as soon as his ban was up.

Seems that @volley has taken my original post literally as ā€œhe made zero starts for Burtonā€ as opposed to a figure of speech to highlight his very limited number of starts

If I recall correctly it was mentioned when he signed that there may be a release clause.

I wouldn't let him go with a replacement, creative type midfielder coming in but I don't think selling him now would be as damaging as it would have seemed last summer.

Don't think he has benefitted this season from us being very direct for basically the whole season.

If we could bring in that Mehmeti or similar getting some cash and the contract off the books would be good business.

It does worry me that 6 months after the club rejoiced the new contracts for Browne and DJ, I donā€™t think weā€™d be unhappy if both left in summer.

If we could bring in that Mehmeti or similar getting some cash and the contract off the books would be good business.

It does worry me that 6 months after the club rejoiced the new contracts for Browne and DJ, I donā€™t think weā€™d be unhappy if both left in summer.
not sure who WE is....... because I'd be unhappy if Browne left and was unhappy DJ didnt...

not sure who WE is....... because I'd be unhappy if Browne left and was unhappy DJ didnt...

We being the club.

I think we could lose both and it not hurt us at all. Both had really poor seasons last year.

Browne has proven he isnt 'versatile' as some people think. He's a pressing 10 and nothing else, Potts does the same job for half the money. I've already said that if we could bring in a Mehmeti or similar DJ can walk. Just looked totally disinterested at times this season.