PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Retained List (Confirmed)

W

Browne has proven he isnt 'versatile' as some people think. He's a pressing 10 and nothing else, Potts does the same job for half the money.

Agreed about Browne - one thing he isn't is a defensive midfielder his passing in that position can be dangerously sloppy at times though to be fair he is the best makeshift right-back we have got. Yes he and Potts can both play in that forward central midfield position (I refuse to call it 'No 10' because I associate that number with the great Alan Spavin whose foremost ability was to create the time and space for himself that meant the last thing he had to do was any 'pressing') but they do so in very different ways. Potts is about running, robustness and a thunderous shot. Browne is about agility, energy and inventiveness. Frankly of the two Browne when on form is much the more dangerous player for the opposition because he can suddenly do surprising things even in crowded penalty boxes. There were signs towards the end of the season just gone that after a dip in form Browne was getting back to be that player not least because he was being played consistently in that position. That is at the moment one of the reasons why we can look forward to next season with a degree of optimism.

Agreed about Browne - one thing he isn't is a defensive midfielder his passing in that position can be dangerously sloppy at times though to be fair he is the best makeshift right-back we have got. Yes he and Potts can both play in that forward central midfield position (I refuse to call it 'No 10' because I associate that number with the great Alan Spavin whose foremost ability was to create the time and space for himself that meant the last thing he had to do was any 'pressing') but they do so in very different ways. Potts is about running, robustness and a thunderous shot. Browne is about agility, energy and inventiveness. Frankly of the two Browne when on form is much the more dangerous player for the opposition because he can suddenly do surprising things even in crowded penalty boxes. There were signs towards the end of the season just gone that after a dip in form Browne was getting back to be that player not least because he was being played consistently in that position. That is at the moment one of the reasons why we can look forward to next season with a degree of optimism.
Err, excuse me?

Browne can twist and turn in a crowded penalty area better than any other player we have. As I said when on form and in his proper position he is a very dangerous player.
I respect your view however I am really not sure what you have been watching the last 12 months.

I respect your view however I am really not sure what you have been watching the last 12 months.

To a large extent an out-of-form, out-of-sorts Browne being shunted about from one position to another but more often than not in that defensive role where I quite agree he is far from convincing. But towards the end of last season he was being played more consistently as he should be and was beginning to look in flashes at least more like his proper self. FM seems to have recognised how to play Browne and if that continues then as I said that could be a major factor in our favour next season.

To a large extent an out-of-form, out-of-sorts Browne being shunted about from one position to another but more often than not in that defensive role where I quite agree he is far from convincing. But towards the end of last season he was being played more consistently as he should be and was beginning to look in flashes at least more like his proper self. FM seems to have recognised how to play Browne and if that continues then as I said that could be a major factor in our favour next season.

Maybe it’s Gally with the greater knowledge of the players? His input must be invaluable in changing the apparent AN trait of putting square pegs in round holes, resulting in better displays and results.

Browne can twist and turn in a crowded penalty area better than any other player we have. As I said when on form and in his proper position he is a very dangerous player.

Says a lot more about the current state of the squad than it does of Browne. Think DJ and Maguire are far better in tight space personally.

Browne's close control is quite poor, as is his final ball. His movement is above average and he is a very good finisher and always an aerial threat. If we persevere with the 3-5-2 then I think he can make a decent impact next year.

But it is asking a lot of a guy who hasnt been above mediocre at any point in the last 2 and a half years. I doubt anyone would be remotely interested in taking his contract off our hands, but having Potts as our "physical" number 10 and freeing up £18k a week for a squad rebuild would be a good move for the club.

Says a lot more about the current state of the squad than it does of Browne. Think DJ and Maguire are far better in tight space personally.

Browne's close control is quite poor, as is his final ball. His movement is above average and he is a very good finisher and always an aerial threat. If we persevere with the 3-5-2 then I think he can make a decent impact next year.

But it is asking a lot of a guy who hasnt been above mediocre at any point in the last 2 and a half years. I doubt anyone would be remotely interested in taking his contract off our hands, but having Potts as our "physical" number 10 and freeing up £18k a week for a squad rebuild would be a good move for the club.
providing that tight space is the dug out then i agree with you....

the rest of your analysis of AB's last 2 & 1/2c seasons I dont.... for instance he has still scored more from RB than any of our regular right backs and none of the rest could have hit Greg with that 40 yarder for his goal at ewood.

Personally I just think the bloke was knackered after 2 years non stop incl the Irish euro challenge....

providing that tight space is the dug out then i agree with you....

the rest of your analysis of AB's last 2 & 1/2c seasons I dont.... for instance he has still scored more from RB than any of our regular right backs and none of the rest could have hit Greg with that 40 yarder for his goal at ewood.

Personally I just think the bloke was knackered after 2 years non stop incl the Irish euro challenge....

Since 2016 he and Fisher both have 11 assists. Fisher has played 123 games, Browne 194.

Dont really care about his 1 pass to Cunningham. For every one of those he'll hit 100 into the town end. His passing is extremely poor.

He's the worst fullback we've had at the club since our return to the championship outside of Vermijl.

I agree there is a chance that fatigue is an issue. But I'd be more convinced of that if he had more than 18 months of good football on his CV.

Since 2016 he and Fisher both have 11 assists. Fisher has played 123 games, Browne 194.

Dont really care about his 1 pass to Cunningham. For every one of those he'll hit 100 into the town end. His passing is extremely poor.

He's the worst fullback we've had at the club since our return to the championship outside of Vermijl.

I agree there is a chance that fatigue is an issue. But I'd be more convinced of that if he had more than 18 months of good football on his CV.
I initially thought Browne had the right attributes to be decent at full back but I agree it definitely didn’t work. His positioning was all over the place. He should play as a no.10, or not at all, because he certainly isn’t a deep lying midfielder either.

Liam Grimshaw says hello

I initially thought Browne had the right attributes to be decent at full back but I agree it definitely didn’t work. His positioning was all over the place. He should play as a no.10, or not at all, because he certainly isn’t a deep lying midfielder either.

I think people under estimated what it takes to play fullback. He had the physical profile, but they were just expecting a guy who'd never played there in his life to just pick up the nuances of the position.

He looked years of development away from being a fullback, which at 26 years old isnt likely to happen

vote of confidence for Raff then..

Maybe it’s Gally with the greater knowledge of the players? His input must be invaluable in changing the apparent AN trait of putting square pegs in round holes, resulting in better displays and results.

Could be.
Barky at left wing back?

Barkhuizen can manage the attacking side of the wing-back position on either flank very well. In fact cutting in from the left is arguably when he is at his most dangerous. But his tackling has always been pretty poor so in the wing-back formation you either accept that and compensate for it by ensuring that the midfielder playing in-field of him and the defender on the relevant side of the back three cove for him or you don't play him at all.

Always thought Browne looked his best playing off the striker reacting to second balls in and around the area. He has good technique but sometimes I think he is better the less time he has? I also think he's good in the air but for some reason we stopped utilising that, possibly due to his change is position.

If we are looking at dominating possession and breaking down a defence I'd go DJ as the no 10. Going more direct and looking to counter I'd go Browne.

Dunno about that but a highlights reel somewhere showed that he has a real eye for goal. He is most use to the team when in a position where that happens as much as possble. The fact he can lead the press from the front is a bonus.

Dunno about that but a highlights reel somewhere showed that he has a real eye for goal. He is most use to the team when in a position where that happens as much as possble. The fact he can lead the press from the front is a bonus.

Sinclair can also be agile when close to the opposition goal - his equaliser for us at Brentford for example - but Browne as we concur needs to be played well forward because that is where we get the most out of him.

Interesting that Earl created a good impression at Burton both attacking and defending wise. He played left back in a back 4.
However the local reporter described his biggest failing as the “red mist” which comes over him. He was booked 6 times in 8 games and missed several games because he couldn’t get back in the team after being sent off. In that match, having already been booked, he got involved in a melee and ended up shoving a Sunderland player over the advertising hoardings.