PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Retained List

If @FTF could ask Peter Ridsdale next week if contract talks took place with Barky please that’d be smashing. If he says they did Barky is now free to respond if that is a complete and utter lie. If Ridsdale won’t be drawn on it as “it’s between the player and the club” then I’ll assume no talks took place. Case solved m’lord.

Does it really matter? If so, why does it matter?

He's no longer a PNE player and that's a good thing IMO. Injured or unfit to play too often, poor attitude. Taking up a wage.

He's no longer a PNE player and that's a good thing IMO. Injured or unfit to play too often, poor attitude. Taking up a wage.
Jesus!!!! poor attitude,unfit to play, taking up a wage, North end have a full squad of players that I would guess number well into the mid thirties, a third of which would qualify for one or more of those criticisms also while very rarely making the first team if at all !!! Why anyone would have a go at Barky under these circumstances is beyond me! Barky has been a smashing servant to the club putting in many excellent performances over a good few years in many positions, chipping in with a few goals along the way!!! Bloody shameful I.m.o. but it's all about opinions, I just don't think yours is a valid one that stands scrutiny !!!!

Jesus!!!! poor attitude,unfit to play, taking up a wage, North end have a full squad of players that I would guess number well into the mid thirties, a third of which would qualify for one or more of those criticisms also while very rarely making the first team if at all !!! Why anyone would have a go at Barky under these circumstances is beyond me! Barky has been a smashing servant to the club putting in many excellent performances over a good few years in many positions, chipping in with a few goals along the way!!! Bloody shameful I.m.o. but it's all about opinions, I just don't think yours is a valid one that stands scrutiny !!!!
Not a criticism my friend, an observation, which obviously irked you. I'm guessing you were a fan of Barkhuizen, which I wasn't.

C'est la vie as they say.

We saw the best of Tom in the Plastics game at Deepdale.

He's been a great player for us and I've enjoyed watching him but we move on.

It's unfortunate he's had a long string of injuries but on his day, I'd pay to watch him.

I wish him well but am I sorry he's gone, the brutal answer is, no !

I think that’s a bit unfair. His injury record prior to this season was good, particularly given the type of player he is. And he was not a bad apple at all, unless you are referring to his refreshing interview. There is a difference between being outspoken and a poor attitude. I understand it was a case of the club let him know they would pay x, he wanted y , and it never progressed. He didn’t click with the new manager it seems , and wasn’t happy with The way it ended. But he will get new club and we move on.

Not a criticism my friend, an observation, which obviously irked you. I'm guessing you were a fan of Barkhuizen, which I wasn't.

C'est la vie as they say.
Yes, i obviously liked Barky a lot more than you did, it's not so much about that, its more about the reference STEALING A WAGE !! Surely there has to be at least 15 players at the club way ahead of Barky for that title, we have players in the middle of long well paid contracts who never ever feature on the first team list never mind get a game! What is their contribution ??

This thread seems to need to be renamed the Barky thread.

For whatever reason, while TH was alive, it was frequently stated on here that he wasn’t going to get renewed because TH had something against him.

The reasons behind that have never really been revealed.

i can’t believe that people are surprised that we haven’t offered him a new contract, given that TH’a family are still in control of the club.

Equally, if PR was carrying out TH’s wishes, it would be unlikely that back last September or so, the club would have publicly stated that they weren’t going to offer him a new contract. The fan backlash would have been quite noisy.

We’ll probably never get to the bottom of what happened. So good luck Tom, wherever you land.

Yes, i obviously liked Barky a lot more than you did, it's not so much about that, its more about the reference STEALING A WAGE !! Surely there has to be at least 15 players at the club way ahead of Barky for that title, we have players in the middle of long well paid contracts who never ever feature on the first team list never mind get a game! What is their contribution ??
Don't worry about it. For some people Rafferty can start twice this season (both defeats) after a bit part role for 3+ years and it's "good luck Rafu, always tried his best".

But, Barky has one injury / illness ravaged season after 4+ years of near constant availability, and it's "fuck off Barky, stealing a wage".

That's how some fans roll. I imagine Barky just never was willing to crawl up Trevor's nut-sack in faux admiration and gratitude, unlike some of the other turds who continually got contract renewals.

I'm fine with Barky going. Primarily because of his age. But some of the criticism thrown his way is way over the top.

You like putting words in mouths.

I never ever said he was stealing a wage. I said he was taking up a wage. i.e. a wage that IMO is better freed up and used more effectively.

Of course there are other players where this applies, but we're talking about Barkhuizen here.

I think that’s a bit unfair. His injury record prior to this season was good, particularly given the type of player he is. And he was not a bad apple at all, unless you are referring to his refreshing interview. There is a difference between being outspoken and a poor attitude. I understand it was a case of the club let him know they would pay x, he wanted y , and it never progressed. He didn’t click with the new manager it seems , and wasn’t happy with The way it ended. But he will get new club and we move on.

We disagree and that's fine.

From my perspective regarding the 'refreshing interview' as you choose to call it, it's a case of a player airing his grievances in public against the manager. Causes unrest, whatever slant you want to try and put on it.

Any manager would be wary of a player who does that. Who's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing again if he decided he didn't like Lowe's tactics or the position Lowe decided to play him.

Can't have players attempting to undermine the manager. We're well shut.

Don't worry about it. For some people Rafferty can start twice this season (both defeats) after a bit part role for 3+ years and it's "good luck Rafu, always tried his best".

But, Barky has one injury / illness ravaged season after 4+ years of near constant availability, and it's "fuck off Barky, stealing a wage".

That's how some fans roll. I imagine Barky just never was willing to crawl up Trevor's nut-sack in faux admiration and gratitude, unlike some of the other turds who continually got contract renewals.

I'm fine with Barky going. Primarily because of his age. But some of the criticism thrown his way is way over the top.
Very strange season for him considering, as you pointed out, his consistent and important contribution for us for many seasons.

Btw I don't see any issue or contradiction with wishing Rafferty well, north end did sign him, and questioning barky on and off the pitch this last season.

Very strange season for him considering, as you pointed out, his consistent and important contribution for us for many seasons.

Btw I don't see any issue or contradiction with wishing Rafferty well, north end did sign him, and questioning barky on and off the pitch this last season.
After the interview Barky started 7 out of the next 9 games until he got injured against Fulham. I see no evidence at all that Frankie felt "undermined" as some people wanna suggest.

I don't know why people want to criticise Barky on and off the pitch. He suffered two seperate injuries. Shit happens. At least he got selected in the 25 man squad, unlike "top professional never lets us down" Rafferty.

Hard to let the team down when you're ineligible to play because the manager decides a permanently injured Wickham is probably more useful than you.

After the interview Barky started 7 out of the next 9 games until he got injured against Fulham. I see no evidence at all that Frankie felt "undermined" as some people wanna suggest.

I don't know why people want to criticise Barky on and off the pitch. He suffered two seperate injuries. Shit happens. At least he got selected in the 25 man squad, unlike "top professional never lets us down" Rafferty.

Hard to let the team down when you're ineligible to play because the manager decides a permanently injured Wickham is probably more useful than you.
Think it's clear I acknowledge, no, absolutely support and recognise barkys contribution..but conflating that with having at pop at Rafferty doesn't make any sense. Nobbers signed him, he did his best the rest is history. Why conflate the two?

Of the pitch barky this season was weird theres no denying it, I'll have to look back at the interviews, which I thought were interesting at the time, but they were odd.

Think it's clear I acknowledge, no, absolutely support and recognise barkys contribution..but conflating that with having at pop at Rafferty doesn't make any sense. Nobbers signed him, he did his best the rest is history. Why conflate the two?

Of the pitch barky this season was weird theres no denying it, I'll have to look back at the interviews, which I thought were interesting at the time, but they were odd.
There are people who have the opinion that Rafferty is a "true reliable pro" AND also bag on Barky as "good riddance". I find those people very strange indeed. One had a pne career worth remembering. One didn't.