Ricky Thomson goal v West Ham

OP
F

Final Stand

Forum Patron
Patron
One of my early heroes. Played against him some years later. Can’t remember who he played for. Penwortham maybe?

Anyway, here’s the goal

Thanks for that and as another poster mentioned awful injury,I thought he was going to be a bigger prospect than Mick Robinson. Think he played for Much Hoole ? Some on here I think will appreciate the Adidas kit?

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
There is a video somewhere. But I was there and can remember it. The goal came after the referee played the advantage after a foul by Billy Bonds and Thomson picked the ball up and scored a screamer from 35 yards. The friend I was with started shouting about how much Bonds deserved that which because it was in pre-segregation days got us some pretty aggressive West Ham abuse in return. Thomson was a marvellous player who was just beginning to be something special when his career was cut short by injury.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Thanks for that and as another poster mentioned awful injury,I thought he was going to be a bigger prospect than Mick Robinson. Think he played for Much Hoole ? Some on here I think will appreciate the Adidas kit?
Ricky Thompson’s movement was just a thing of beauty - potential for great things.

I’m getting hazy now. His was the loudest leg break ever heard at Deepdale wasn’t it? Or am I getting mixed up with someone else? I remember the crack but not certain of the player!
Wonder if today’s medics would have sorted him out.

jonboy

First Team
Probably the kind of injury that would be sorted relatively easily now. A great local (Much Hoole?) prospect at the time. Great memories.

OP
F

Final Stand

Forum Patron
Patron
Ricky Thompson’s movement was just a thing of beauty - potential for great things.

I’m getting hazy now. His was the loudest leg break ever heard at Deepdale wasn’t it? Or am I getting mixed up with someone else? I remember the crack but not certain of the player!
Wonder if today’s medics would have sorted him out.
With regard the injury I thought it was cruciate? And yes could be sorted today.