Riis

Mancunian White

Forum Patron
Patron
Yes, a goal or three versus the Lasher's would really cement his start to the season. 7 goals already. And could and should have had more.

It's a real positive sign to be scoring a great individual goal in injury time. No matter how a game is shaping up, he can make something happen from nothing.

And that kind of ability means we have a serious player on our hands. Clubs will be falling over themselves to sign him if he notches 20 goals.

And as you say, one game soon enough, it's all gonna click for him and he'll score a hat trick.
He signed for 4, so he's still got 3 to go. If he puts away 20 with 2 years to run this summer, he'll go for 10-15 million, maybe even more.

If he's still scoring in January, I'd be doing everything we can to lock him down until 2025, maybe even 26.

york white

Advisor to the Owner
He looks like he is finally beginning to believe in himself which seems to be the key for Emil. Frankie has to take a lot of credit for this. Easy decision (and one that would certainly have been taken by his predecessor) would have been to rest him tonight. But fitness is definitely not a problem for Emil and it was right to play him tonight.

He's a real handful and a bit different. He is not a natural finisher, if he were he would not be here. But, he is an all rounder and his hold up play is massively improved and he is taking things on board. The outrageous shot from miles out which was not far away from going in was from a man playing with confidence.

The player I would compare him to is Fuller. Don't get me wrong, he is way off Riccardo's standards yet, but there is a flair there to get crowds off their feet and a desire to win. It's up to Emil really, keep working hard and have confidence in your own ability.

NG White

Forum Patron
Patron
Yes, a goal or three versus the Lasher's would really cement his start to the season. 7 goals already. And could and should have had more.

It's a real positive sign to be scoring a great individual goal in injury time. No matter how a game is shaping up, he can make something happen from nothing.

And that kind of ability means we have a serious player on our hands. Clubs will be falling over themselves to sign him if he notches 20 goals.

And as you say, one game soon enough, it's all gonna click for him and he'll score a hat trick.

Also shows a tremendous amount of fitness to score that goal in injury time when he played most of the game on Saturday and all the game tonight.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Going to be crazy watching him hit 20 goals + of absolute worldies but knowing he could have 30+ had he tucked away tap ins and one on ones 😂.

Love the lad to bits though. He’s raw, he’s exciting and he gets you out of your seat. Been so long until we’ve had a player of that ilk in Lilywhite.

Fact is that if he was the finished article and had the finishing, composure and decision making in his locker already, he certainly wouldn’t be playing at Deepdale right now.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Now that we know what works, I hope we keep the supply lines to him nice and favourable.

Play with some zip, ball on the deck and clever through-balls and passes - no return to hoofing it up to some static target man (or worse, up to Riis himself!).

There's no sign of us playing hoofball from what I've seen. Long passes yes, but with a purpose and as part of the tactic to get in behind. Was the same again last night. The hoof it to one striker who was expected to chase everything and still find time to score tactics look to be left behind when Neil walked out the door.

Albeit against league one opposition but we played some decent stuff last night. We were a successful cross from Maguire away from the team goal of the season in the second half.

frogonastick

First Team
The thing I love with Riis is that his first thought is to go at the defence and put them under pressure, it's so exciting to watch, so much better than strikers in the past whose first thought was to pass it back to the midfield.

On a side note was delighted to see Seani score last night, he might not bag many this season but his workrate to put close defenders will help create space and chances for Riis

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
There's no sign of us playing hoofball from what I've seen. Long passes yes, but with a purpose and as part of the tactic to get in behind. Was the same again last night. The hoof it to one striker who was expected to chase everything and still find time to score tactics look to be left behind when Neil walked out the door.

Albeit against league one opposition but we played some decent stuff last night. We were a successful cross from Maguire away from the team goal of the season in the second half.
Yep that was a stunning move up the left. Would have spilled my bovril if that'd gone in.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron

We started the season with lousy hoofy tactics, and reaped the reward.

Hopefully, it's gone for good.

BPIG - GBNF

Forum Patron
Patron

Not sure about when Neil left, more like when Evans got injured and McAvoy was forced to change things. Who cares how though, it’s much better to watch now than it was at the start of the season.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
It was obvious Riis is a real talent from his very first match. Now that he has settled in and got half a season's experience in the Championship he is beginning to deliver with real consistency. He could be comfortably over halfway to that 20-goals in the season mark by the end of October - frankly if he carries on as he is he could reach that mark well before the season's end and finish somewhere well over it. Sure he isn't what you might term a clinical striker - he is more likely to score by thundering in a shot from 25 yards than by dinking the ball over an advancing keeper in a one-on-one situation - but his willingness to run at a defence and the sheer speed with which he does so makes it very difficult for an opposition to deal with him. If we find ourselves up against Premiership opposition in the next round of the Carabao Cup then he might very well really make a name for himself.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
Riis is so unpredictable who has touches of brilliance and touches of clumsiness. I’m sure he doesn’t know what he’s doing part of the time, so it was quite fitting that his awful first touch last night when he tried to pass the ball and finished up passing it to himself, before turning his defender and leaving a couple more in his wake before smashing a great shot into the net. It was an excellent goal, which ideally sums up the player imo.

JK

Head Honcho
Staff member
Patron
When he has time to think he currently can make the wrong decision in finishing off his good build up play.

That said, when he missed that second one, I knew he would take his next one which turned out to be a great goal, created by hinself.

The lad is supassing expectations so far this season, he has it in him to do well for us and we need to keep backing him.

I really like the lad.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Has it already been mentioned how he came to our attention? It's not exactly a corner of the world we have much involvement with and he didn't pull up any trees during his time at Derby.

It's such a left field signing for us as a club and one we've never opted for before and seemingly again after.

Denmark is well scouted by Brentford, that's well documented but surely there are other pockets of less glamorous divisions in Europe we could be looking into that's essentially virgin EFL scouted territory. We'd be mad to have a great success with Riis and never touch that market again.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
Has it already been mentioned how he came to our attention? It's not exactly a corner of the world we have much involvement with and he didn't pull up any trees during his time at Derby.

It's such a left field signing for us as a club and one we've never opted for before and seemingly again after.

Denmark is well scouted by Brentford, that's well documented but surely there are other pockets of less glamorous divisions in Europe we could be looking into that's essentially virgin EFL scouted territory. We'd be mad to have a great success with Riis and never touch that market again.

We were sniffing around Europe a bit at that point, Ferdy Drijuf kept coming up as a link.

I'm not sure we'd still be able to get Riis under the Brexit Work Permit rules though...