Riis

GK_92

Forum Patron
Patron
Yep, people forecasting "at this rate he should get 15-20 goals this season" - we usually sell em in January before they can reach that mark for us.

On the plus side at least we'll get some money for him as we have, somewhat remarkably given our recent track record, extended his contract.

GK_92

Forum Patron
Patron
Winning the ball. He won absolutely everything.

This is a myth. It was one of the most disappointing things about him, as given his size and presence he should have been good at it when in reality he wasn't. Some exceptions such as one good half at home to Blackburn and away at Charlton but for the most part he wasnt good enough and is the reason he was binned off and replaced by a 30+ striker who's spent most of the last 10 years eating porridge.

Randall Flagg

Forum Patron
Patron
This is a myth. It was one of the most disappointing things about him, as given his size and presence he should have been good at it when in reality he wasn't. Some exceptions such as one good half at home to Blackburn and away at Charlton but for the most part he wasnt good enough and is the reason he was binned off and replaced by a 30+ striker who's spent most of the last 10 years eating porridge.
Stockley for his size was one of the weakest number 9s I've seen. Consistently bullied by defenders bar the odd game. Blackburn sticks out in everyone's mind because it was such a rare event that he successfully roughed people up to the point where it impacted the game. There was one particular game during lockdown at home where I'm not sure he won a single aerial and was on his arse for most of the game throwing his arms about. League one player at best.

Bren27

Manager
See the game differently? You are either blind, thick or on the wind up to say that Riis hasn’t been good this season. 8 goals in less than half a season is a brilliant return.

In fact nugent scored 15 in his best scoring season for us (in the league.) Riis is on course to beat that.

I see your boyfriend Stockley is banging them in in league 1. You say he doesn’t bring anything to the team. He doesn’t need to. He’s a goalscorer. He scores goals.
That’s pretty much what Lineker did , score goals and he was one of the best ! I want my striker to score goals don’t particularly care how just put it in the bag and you will be our darling ! We ain’t got a lot to cling to right now and this lad gives us hope and makes us happy, keep doing what you’re doing Riis 👏👍

simo

Advisor to the Owner
That’s pretty much what Lineker did , score goals and he was one of the best ! I want my striker to score goals don’t particularly care how just put it in the bag and you will be our darling ! We ain’t got a lot to cling to right now and this lad gives us hope and makes us happy, keep doing what you’re doing Riis 👏👍
Saw a replay of the 1990 WC semi in recent years and my main impression was that Lineker was a lot lot better than I'd remembered, a really clever player by that point in his career.

Obviously ludicrous to compare the two but Riis is steadily improving overall to my eye, a couple of exampls of decent hold-up play last night for instance. Still a bit of work to do, particualrly on his first touch, general awareness and a few other rough edges to his game but this can all be worked on. Above all else, he's nearly always a bit of a handful because he tries to run at players. With a bit more time he's going to be very good.

Bren27

Manager
Saw a replay of the 1990 WC semi in recent years and my main impression was that Lineker was a lot lot better than I'd remembered, a really clever player by that point in his career.

Obviously ludicrous to compare the two but Riis is steadily improving overall to my eye, a couple of exampls of decent hold-up play last night for instance. Still a bit of work to do, particualrly on his first touch, general awareness and a few other rough edges to his game but this can all be worked on. Above all else, he's nearly always a bit of a handful because he tries to run at players. With a bit more time he's going to be very good.
Very well said and as usual we will have trouble keeping the lad the more he improves, so let’s enjoy his progress whilst he wears our shirt .

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Every credit to McAvoy for bringing him on this season and to Emil for taking his chance. It's almost getting to the point where I'm not quite sure if he's going to put one in the top corner or stick it in row Z. And it's great.

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
Something that stood out about our second goal was Riis's calmness. Was it not the case that he'd previously rushed it a bit in similar situations. I know it was a bit of luck to get the ball back after DJ had arguably made the wrong decision (he didn't give it to Sinclair in the middle) but the way he stuck it away (calmly) is not going to go unnoticed.

BPIG - GBNF

Forum Patron
Patron
@DSPP you forgetting about the Bournemouth game where Riis’ pace got him round the defender and he laid it on a plate for McCann to score the winner? Or at Blackpool where he played an inch perfect pass to Whiteman who missed a sitter?

He’s not perfect but if he was he’d be in the Premier League. He’s the best striker we’ve had since Nugent the first time round, I’m counting Robbo as a winger.

Portishead

Manager
Every credit to McAvoy for bringing him on this season and to Emil for taking his chance. It's almost getting to the point where I'm not quite sure if he's going to put one in the top corner or stick it in row Z. And it's great.

Thankfully he doesn't telegraph it close to the keeper, mentioning no names.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
I just find it bizarre that we finally have a striker who seems to know where the net is and is developing a habit of making a difference at the business end of games and someone somewhere still isn't happy

FFS, what do people want? He's far from the finished article but he's a cracking young player and no reason he can improve a lot from here. Why not enjoy it rather than forensically picking apart his faults?