PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

Well someone in the Danish national set up obviously thinks the lad is good enough for a call up, so I would bow to his better judgment, Riis has huge potential and that’s it, it’s up to him to polish and make best use of his talent.

Not a patch on the Hugill we had. Not even close
In the league:
Riis, 19 apps, 8 goals, 2 assists
Hugill (21/22), 15 apps, 1 goal, 0 assists
Hugill (17/18), 27 apps, 8 goals, 2 assists

In the cup:
Riis, 4, apps, 4 goals, 1 assist
Hugill (21/22), hasn't appeared
Hugill (17/18 inc FA Cup), 2 apps, 2 goals, 0 assists

I'm struggling to see the part where Riis isn't close to Hugill...

Is that your usual reaction to someone who sees the game differently to you?

See the game differently? You are either blind, thick or on the wind up to say that Riis hasn’t been good this season. 8 goals in less than half a season is a brilliant return.

In fact nugent scored 15 in his best scoring season for us (in the league.) Riis is on course to beat that.

I see your boyfriend Stockley is banging them in in league 1. You say he doesn’t bring anything to the team. He doesn’t need to. He’s a goalscorer. He scores goals.

See the game differently? You are either blind, thick or on the wind up to say that Riis hasn’t been good this season. 8 goals in less than half a season is a brilliant return.

In fact nugent scored 15 in his best scoring season for us (in the league.) Riis is on course to beat that.

I see your boyfriend Stockley is banging them in in league 1. You say he doesn’t bring anything to the team. He doesn’t need to. He’s a goalscorer. He scores goals.
Plus he's a better striker than Hugill will ever be.

I’m really not arsed about some iconoclastic cretin deriding Riis’s contribution.

If he continues his current scoring rate, should easily bag 15-20 this season. More than good enough for me

I think Riis will go push on and become a very good striker. He has flaws but can learn from the likes if Evans who uses his strength to maximum effect.

After cutting inside and shooting on his weaker foot
Ah yeah it was quality. I don't actually think he lacks composure as such. He just lacks the ability to roll one in which is why he's not great with one v ones. His default is to leather it which is working fine in the main though.

Ah yeah it was quality. I don't actually think he lacks composure as such. He just lacks the ability to roll one in which is why he's not great with one v ones. His default is to leather it which is working fine in the main though.
He is a bit Shearer-esque in that way. It is never a placed finish, it's always taking the back of the net off! If he learns how to score 1 on 1s and headers he is going to be quite the striker. No reason why he cannot learn that - its technique and judgement.

With Riis he's without doubt a raw talent with some excellent attributes (no weaker foot, shot power, pace to burn) but reading this thread it feels like people are expecting him to be the complete all-round, goalscoring package on and off the ball and in a number of different roles as the #9.

If he could do all that, he wouldn't be playing for Preston North End. He'd be playing at a significantly higher level already.

I think the Hugill comparison is unhelpful because as much as I loved the bones off Hugill, Riis has a much higher ceiling as a player.

Doesn't score many with his head currently (probably due to the lack of crosses into the box from us) but there's so much to work with on Riis, we should enjoy him whilst he remains here. If he keeps progressing and scoring at the rate he is doing, he won't be here for much longer unfortunately as he'll be moving on to destinations higher than ourselves.

If he keeps progressing and scoring at the rate he is doing, he won't be here for much longer unfortunately as he'll be moving on to destinations higher than ourselves.
Yep, people forecasting "at this rate he should get 15-20 goals this season" - we usually sell em in January before they can reach that mark for us.