PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

RIP Frank O Farrell

And looking at my Rugby/Payne book, he scored on his PNE debut, v. Manchester City, December 1956.

I seem to remember he took them to the 1969 FA Cup Final, with it going against them, scored by Man.City's Neil Young,( who PNE bought )
I remember when we got Young and David Connor, both from Man City, they cost, by PNE standards, quite a bit of money. Given the transfer fee paid and the fact they'd come from a big club, I thought they were both disappointing in their time at Deepdale.

Musclely blond lad, Connor. I'd agree with your assessment of them both.
Somewhere I recall that, not only was it a Big Money 'gamble' by the Board, but City's
terms of payment of Money due to them was a big factor in a big 'turn-of-the-knife' in the Back, the Back in this case belonging to the Body of PNE. Adding to the spiral of failure, etc.etc.

I remember when we got Young and David Connor, both from Man City, they cost, by PNE standards, quite a bit of money. Given the transfer fee paid and the fact they'd come from a big club, I thought they were both disappointing in their time at Deepdale.

City sold both of them to generate cash for the purchase of Rodney Marsh. I doubt either player actually wanted a move away from City let alone a move to Preston. Didn't Dave Connor go back to City on a free?

City sold both of them to generate cash for the purchase of Rodney Marsh. I doubt either player actually wanted a move away from City let alone a move to Preston. Didn't Dave Connor go back to City on a free?
Don't know about Dave Connor going back to City, but Rod Marsh. One of my favourite players at the time, skilful as. The word was that City would have won the league, had Malcolm Allison not signed him. They already had, Bell, Lee and Summerbee and the rumour was, although they liked Marsh as a bloke, he was too much of a maverick and couldn't adapt to their way of playing.
While Marsh was at City, O Farrell had Best at United. I was only 9 or 10, but there were loads of great individual players then, Worthington, Bowles, Currie, Hudson, McKenzie, I can't imagine what some of these modern day managers would think. Probably banished to the reserves, never to be seen again.

I used to like Rodney Marsh, then I read about our Sir Tom critisising him in his Newspaper Columns ( this could have been the Daily Mirror.) Marsh , (via his solicitors, ovs ) 'asked' him to publicly retract what he'd written😮, or it would go to Libel. He did.

Sir Tom was forced to eat humble pie. For expressing his honest unbiased, purely footballing opinion.
Soft Southern B*****d Marsh.

I used to like Rodney Marsh, then I read about our Sir Tom critisising him in his Newspaper Columns ( this could have been the Daily Mirror.) Marsh , (via his solicitors, ovs ) 'asked' him to publicly retract what he'd written😮, or it would go to Libel. He did.

Sir Tom was forced to eat humble pie. For expressing his honest unbiased, purely footballing opinion.
Soft Southern B*****d Marsh.
I'm surprised at that, given how Marsh was as a pundit. He never used to sugarcoat things and I liked him for that. I remember when he said Bradford were the worst team to have ever played in the Prem, and he'd shave all his hair off if they stopped up. They did and he did.
So, to have a strop over Sir Tom's comments, like you say, soft bastard

Don't know about Dave Connor going back to City, but Rod Marsh. One of my favourite players at the time, skilful as. The word was that City would have won the league, had Malcolm Allison not signed him. They already had, Bell, Lee and Summerbee and the rumour was, although they liked Marsh as a bloke, he was too much of a maverick and couldn't adapt to their way of playing.
While Marsh was at City, O Farrell had Best at United. I was only 9 or 10, but there were loads of great individual players then, Worthington, Bowles, Currie, Hudson, McKenzie, I can't imagine what some of these modern day managers would think. Probably banished to the reserves, never to be seen again.

Supremely gifted and entertaining players, yet only 32 England caps between them - more than half of those to Tony Currie.

Supremely gifted and entertaining players, yet only 32 England caps between them - more than half of those to Tony Currie.
Blimey, I guess club managers of the era, were more inclined to pick players like that, as opposed to Ramsey and Revie.
Southampton's Mick Shannon another one ignored. Entertaining talent has hardly had a look-in, barring Gazza.
I thought he won quite a few caps.
( soz, tired ) .....Matt LeTissier..?
Yep, just the one appearance I think. Good example though, brilliant player, just about every goal he scored, was a goal of the season contender. A very good penalty record too, I think he missed one in his career.