RIP Frankie Worthington

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
"The man, is uncontaminated skill." John McGrath, on Frank Worthington.
I was lucky enough to receive my first season ticket, on the west stand with my Grandad, Dad and brother in the summer of 1986.
There were some great moments that season when John McGrath turned the fortunes of the club around after the slump of the early to mid 1980s. One of John MGrath's signings was Frank Worthington.
He had the bronzed physique of a Greek god and wore the Hobbott kit like a Paris fashion model (man crush? Yes, definitely!) and thanks to his immortal level of skill and touch, he had so much time on the ball he could have rolled a J, pulled out a lighter, sparked it up, and taken his first draw before knocking the ball past the defender and onto a team-mate.
Frank was by far the best footballer I've seen in a North End shirt, and he was 39 years old at the time. He had opponents half his age looking lead-footed. He played for the fans. He loved showing off. My dad paid about £20 for my season ticket that year. I must repay him, at least that!
A life well lived and a lucky privilege for those who were fortunate enough to have enjoyed his soccer magic.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
I was lucky enough to receive my first season ticket, on the west stand with my Grandad, Dad and brother in the summer of 1986.
There were some great moments that season when John McGrath turned the fortunes of the club around after the slump of the early to mid 1980s. One of John MGrath's signings was Frank Worthington.
He had the bronzed physique of a Greek god and wore the Hobbott kit like a Paris fashion model (man crush? Yes, definitely!) and thanks to his immortal level of skill and touch, he had so much time on the ball he could have rolled a J, pulled out a lighter, sparked it up, and taken his first draw before knocking the ball past the defender and onto a team-mate.
Frank was by far the best footballer I've seen in a North End shirt, and he was 39 years old at the time. He had opponents half his age looking lead-footed. He played for the fans. He loved showing off. My dad paid about £20 for my season ticket that year. I must repay him, at least that!
A life well lived and a lucky privilege for those who were fortunate enough to have enjoyed his soccer magic.
Brilliant
Made me smile on a sad day
Thank you

arnold

Reserve

arnold

Reserve
I can't remember the game, might even have been the Wolves game.. The ball went out for a throw in and Frank went over to pick the ball up and take the throw. The ref whistled and gave it the other way. Frank walked backwards on the pitch with the ball held out at arms length for the opposition. The lad who'd gone over to take it just walked after him with his arms out for the ball. Frank just kept walking backwards while the lad, probably a bit awestruck, just followed him with arms out for about another 10-15 yards, looking a bit gormless, till a team mate ran over and threw the ball back to him. Along with the goal against Wolves and the one he got for Bolton v Ipswich - classic Frank. On one off, they don't make them like that any more

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
RIP Frank, he was worth paying the admission fee just to watch him warm up. Probably one of, if not, my favourite ever season and that Garretts insurance kit was the best ever. Frightening that so many players of my youth (even though I was 25 when Frank signed for us) are now passing away at an alarming rate. RIP to a "proper" footballer and absolute entertainer.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
A
Yes he did even in the warm up, he looked class, natural balance and the way he struck a ball, was poetry.

How we could do to have some similar characters such as Worthington & Mc Garth in today’s North End dressing room, would certainly raise everyone’s spirits.
And when we come out of lockdown it would keep more pubs open

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
It’s all been said above. Short but sweet in a North End shirt. Great character. I can still picture him in his Leicester shirt on those football cards you got with a stick of chewing gum - possibly even his Huddersfield one, but less sure of that.

Wonder why he got so few caps.

Another dementia victim.

lenny

Advisor to the Owner
Frank it was a pleasure to see you wear the PNE shirt, I was there that game against wolves but your skill with the ball was up there with the very best to wear the shirt. I also remember a goal at Hereford on a Wednesday night I think when you got the ball probably 25 yards out with a couple of defenders marking you and you turned one way then the other shaking both defenders off and almost without looking hit the ball in the opposite top corner of the net. Great memories great player definitely no one quite like you . RIP frank .