PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Rudd critics

I also fail to understand why some fans dont think we should look to sign better if we believe we can.

I expect us to look at improving the squad in every position if at all possible, why should goal keeper any different.

Rudd made a vital save yesterday and deserves credit for it however it doesnt suddenly mean the management will change what looks like a clear view they can get better.
i think there are much bigger gaps in our larder than the keeper at present
with a limited budget i imagine priorities lie much higher in other positions ?

Got to agree about Declan on that performance. The save was pivetol ton us going on and winning the game, had that gone in i think our heads would have dropped and we might have got a point but the way they were playing and i mean Luton, I doubt it. It would appear that their manager sussed us out a bit but it was not a pretty game and I thought after scoring after 5 minutes that we would go on and win comfortably but it was not to be. We did create some good chances and fluffed a couple once again.

I would be happy with draws at cardiff and leeds awhich would set us up for Reading and boro at home both very winnable.

HUNTS just immense again, I hope he keeps him in.

Not a massive fan of Rudd but don't think he's as bad as some on here make out.

GK position will see a big overhaul this summer - with Rudd possibly not being here along with Maxwell & Crowe obviously that will only leave Ripley / Hudson so AN will be looking for a minimum of 2 keepers.

Personally I would kkeep Rudd but as we're not privy to the negotiations who knows if he's asking for too much money?

I've seen it mentioned on here a couple of times he has the air sometimes that he's undervalued & maybe that's the issue.

Rudd is perfectly good enough for us. I don't understand where this constant negativity from a handful of people, the same ones over and over again, comes from. You'd be talking a lot of money to get anyone better.
Agree with this. Nobody is perfect. De Gea fluffed a cross yesterday and Pickford got a roasting from Coleman for not coming out to a through ball and they are probably the best we have at the moment in England.

I like Rudd's passion. If you watch him, he's always flying out of his area to get stuck in to scuffles, have a pop at officials, oppo players, shithousing etc.

Tbh I'm not too assed about replacing him at the moment, but if we can find someone better in January, that's obviously a good thing. Same with any player really.

I wish he would fly out to punch or catch the ball sometimes doesn’t seem as strong when he gets touched stood on his goal line at the moment he has no one to challenge him as our first choice so another keeper is definitely wanted even if he’s only on the bench at first at least

is the quality of keeping in general in this division much better than Rudd? We don't seem to have had too many problems scoring this season and I cant recall too many keepers playing blinders against us, so maybe Rudd holds his own at this level? Just a thought.

Fully agree. Rudd on a good day can be a match winner, yesterday being that. But on a bad day he can cost us points. Which can be said of all keepers. But at this level, i think he has more mistakes and bad days in him than others.

Some people say Rudd is a scapegoat. Which winds me up. I praise when someone does well, I'll criticise when someone does bad. When there was the whole Rudd v Maxwell debate, i was actually on Rudds side. But i still thought he was average at this level at that time.

It's unbelievable to be 3rd in the league. We're there on merit. But all teams can improve, even Liverpool. And in my opinion, the goalkeeping department is one to look at as a priority.

At times he is. People had question marks over the goalie in the goals scored by Leeds, first one v Bristol city, Barnsley, Derby. None of these were his fault. To make it even worse - when he scored the og against Blackburn fans said 'fucking hell Rudd's fucked up again' when he was extremely unlucky.

Now all four of them goals were from set pieces but what I think some people need to realise (and this is why I accuse people of making him a scapegoat) is that just because we concede from a set piece doesn't automatically make it the goal keepers fault. I would like him to command his area more but I think people are taking this literally thinking he needs to come out and claim every ball in the box. When you are blaming a player for goals that aren't his fault that to me is scapegoating.

I wouldn't say goalkeeping is a priority. Yes if one who is better becomes available then yes go for this player. But he isn't as weak as some people make out. The main issue is scoring away from home. We need a winger/forward who is going to cause these teams a lot of problems. This is the main priority.

Rudd defo ain't that bad.

His apparent unwillingness to come off his line and try to aerially dominate is certainly a weakness, but we could do a lot worse.

Is this not the exact argument though? I dont think any credible poster is saying Rudd is garbage, but why, if we are serious about playoffs, wouldnt we look to improve at a position where our current options are inconsistent?

I like Rudd's passion. If you watch him, he's always flying out of his area to get stuck in to scuffles, have a pop at officials, oppo players, shithousing etc.

Tbh I'm not too assed about replacing him at the moment, but if we can find someone better in January, that's obviously a good thing. Same with any player really.

Spot on.

If the management team believe they can sign better then why would anyone complain?

I think Rudd is a decent and would be quite happy for him to extend his stay competing with a keeper better than Ripley to start games.

It seems to me however that Rudd has let the criticism from what I would describe as a vocal minority of the crowd get to him. Maybe he even reads the stuff on here. He used to connect with the crowd, I remember how gutted he was after we lost at Rotherham in the Play Offs, but now he rarely acknowledges the fans after the game.

Sad to see and maybe better if he does move on but I hope we line up a decent replacement. If Rangers are interested he can sign a pre-contract agreement with them in January.

Really tired of all the criticism coming Rudds way.
Third in the table with 6 teams having conceded less goals than us.
We'd still be third if we had Allison Becker between the sticks albeit arguably with some more points on the board. Unfortunately, I don't think Trevor will spend £60m on a 'keeper so we have what we have. For me, Rudd is no better or worse than many in this division.
Cut the man some slack ffs.

i think there are much bigger gaps in our larder than the keeper at present
with a limited budget i imagine priorities lie much higher in other positions ?
I think Rudd is a decent and would be quite happy for him to extend his stay competing with a keeper better than Ripley to start games.

It seems to me however that Rudd has let the criticism from what I would describe as a vocal minority of the crowd get to him. Maybe he even reads the stuff on here. He used to connect with the crowd, I remember how gutted he was after we lost at Rotherham in the Play Offs, but now he rarely acknowledges the fans after the game.

Sad to see and maybe better if he does move on but I hope we line up a decent replacement. If Rangers are interested he can sign a pre-contract agreement with them in January.

To be fair I've not heard him getting any stick in matches and we all want him to do well.

I'll ask the question again though which some folk are ignoring.

IF you can sign better why wouldn't you?

Signing someone with the same abilities or worse would be rediclous but if the manager and PR think we can bring in better it makes sense.

Also if Delcan has made it clear he wont sign a new contract that may also play a role in thier thinking.

Last edited:
To be fair I've not him getting any stick in matches and we all want him to do well.

I'll ask the question again though which some folk are ignoring.

IF you can sign better why wouldn't you?

Signing someone with the same abilities or worse would be rediclous but if the manager and PR think we can bring in better it makes sense.

Also if Delcan has made it clear he wont sign a new contract that may also play a role in thier thinking.

I want a better RB than Fisher but there aren't numerous threads and posts about it. And it also doesn't mean it is a priority at the moment.

Just saying "would you want better?" is just a way from actually saying he's doing well at the moment as it would go against those who have been banging the "we must sign a new keeper" drum for a while.

We all want better players in every position in the team. You won't find a single fan who doesn't want to improve the entire squad. But there's nothing wrong with some saying a signing of a young player with zero experience in January when well place could cause problems. Of course it could come off, but would it be worth the risk?

i would say gerry rafferty is a tadge better so is hughes, fisher is a liability not reliable

Rafferty is not a patch on Fisher, did a good job while Hughes was injured but no chance he'll be starting when they're both fit.

Fisher is better one-on-one defensively than Hughes and is much better going forward.

Fisher's yellow cards are annoying but he's one of the first names on the team sheet when available.