PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Russell Watson a PNE fan

Think that Camilla Kerslake who has also sung at Deepdale is a PNE fan. She does a great operatic version of “Can’t help falling in love with you”.

Regardless

-
Patron
Born in Salford, we must be his second team….

Very likely... His Wikipedia page mentions that not only was he born Salford, but was also schooled and started his working life in Irlam. And this is on his Wikipedia page.. In 1998 Ian Boasman, manager of the Bistro French restaurant in Preston, arranged for him to sing at Old Trafford during the interval at a memorial football match for the Munich air disaster, a huge privilege for a lifelong Manchester United fan. However, his appearance was cancelled at the last minute when player Eric Cantona requested that Mick Hucknall sing instead. Russell signed a management deal with Boasman

So...very likely a Man U fan. But maybe that Ian Boasman, his manager, introduced him to PNE. In googling who Boasman is/was... it turns out he died young in 2013. There was even a thread about him on here, started by @northender0602
https://www.pne-online.net/forum/in...-bistros-ian-boasman-dead.68444/#post-2101274

pne1881

Patron
Imagine this, when russel sang that at PNE I was in tears thinking of my mum and dad. Stood in a football crowd crying. do you know what else? When i looked around I saw so many grown men in tears like me. It was a very special moment.

I think of my Mum every time there is a minutes silence even though my Dad got me into North End & he is still with us.

No idea why but I am on the verge of tears every time.

I guess it's just because in the modern, hectic world you very rarely get time to stop and think & a minute silence makes you do that.

scally

Patron
I remember one of his early appearances at Deepdale, he sang Nessun Dorma and absolutely brought the house down. I'm sure he has a big affection for PNE. Cracking set of pipes on him that lad
I'm sure Russell Watson's first 'gig' at Deepdale was against Millwall..... I always remember the Millwall fans chanting "who the facking hell are you"

Tino

Patron
They ended up giving him a standing ovation by the end
They did. I remember it was pre match and when he started people were flooding out of the concourse to watch. I’m sure they were singing “who the f’ing hell are you?” at the start but as you say he got a great ovation at the end.

simo

Imagine this, when russel sang that at PNE I was in tears thinking of my mum and dad. Stood in a football crowd crying. do you know what else? When i looked around I saw so many grown men in tears like me. It was a very special moment.
I used to be largely immune to this sort of thing but since Ive had kids it hardly takes anything to set me off! I suppose you get to an age where you’re more likely to have lost people you care about.

Walton

I'm sure Russell Watson's first 'gig' at Deepdale was against Millwall..... I always remember the Millwall fans chanting "who the facking hell are you"

I think it was also, I think it was 1999/2000 promotion season.

If I remember correctly there was a bit of controversy when the Millwall goalie viciously attacked one of our very young ball boys who tried to give him the ball back but it was accidentally stuck in his hands and the goalie thought he was doing it on purpose because time was running out and he thought there was a slight chance they could get an equaliser. :)

grarmy

Always makes me laugh when I think of this. He turned round to all corners of the ground. Millwall were in the Pavillion stand back then - he turned around so the other stands so quickly! :ROFLMAO:

buckshawwhite

Patron
I think it was also, I think it was 1999/2000 promotion season.

If I remember correctly there was a bit of controversy when the Millwall goalie viciously attacked one of our very young ball boys who tried to give him the ball back but it was accidentally stuck in his hands and the goalie thought he was doing it on purpose because time was running out and he thought there was a slight chance they could get an equaliser. :)
That would have been Tony Warner