PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Saul St Baths/Preston Greyhound Track/Old Farts Reminiscing

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
What if people are into swinging? Do they support a different team every week?

I used to be into swinging, really enjoyed it too, its a pity we grow up and stop doing certain things. I always remember the slide on Haslam Park aswell, it seemed enormous at the time. the roundabouts always made me sick though.

I used to be into swinging, really enjoyed it too, its a pity we grow up and stop doing certain things. I always remember the slide on Haslam Park aswell, it seemed enormous at the time. the roundabouts always made me sick though.

I was more into the climbing frames, although I was partial to the roundabout.

That was the days before they had concrete instead of that rubberised stuff, so it hurt when you fell off. Kids are too mollycoddled, nowadays.

I was more into the climbing frames, although I was partial to the roundabout.

That was the days before they had concrete instead of that rubberised stuff, so it hurt when you fell off. Kids are too mollycoddled, nowadays.

One of the best slides was at Hasy Park baths

4151010603_9ae3565298_z.jpg

god it was cold when you landed in that water

You lucky, lucky bastard. You think THAT`S tough.
I learned to swim in a country where we LIKED the water being cold. That`s how deprived we were.
And in that non-PC post-colonial world, we didn`t have the slide part. We had to jump.

Ndola, Zambia, swimming pool...run down now, but hasn`t changed since the 1960`s.

69233126.jpg

That scene....

Is actually most of my memory of it unfortunately.
They used to have bird huts on the park I recall as a boy too.

always thought hasy park was a hidden gem, in truth.

558011_9e2b9e55.jpg

spent so many happy hours playing footy on there.

You lucky, lucky bastard. You think THAT`S tough.
I learned to swim in a country where we LIKED the water being cold. That`s how deprived we were.
And in that non-PC post-colonial world, we didn`t have the slide part. We had to jump.

Ndola, Zambia, swimming pool...run down now, but hasn`t changed since the 1960`s.

69233126.jpg

Ah this is where i learnt to swim

6277956255_2415fd9d6b_z.jpg

Still see the woman, well i think it was a woman, in white coat and wellies ordering us around :)

always thought hasy park was a hidden gem, in truth.

558011_9e2b9e55.jpg

spent so many happy hours playing footy on there.

I spent a lot of my childhood there too and now spend a lot of time there with my daughter.

I actually became a crown green bowler who represented north lancs and fylde due to hassy park :)

I spent a lot of my childhood there too and now spend a lot of time there with my daughter.

I actually became a crown green bowler who represented north lancs and fylde due to hassy park :)

My Dad used to bowl on there, are the greens still in use?

My Dad used to bowl on there, are the greens still in use?

They're a sad site now.... No bowls keeper there anymore so nobody to keep the kids off them hacking them up with golf clubs etc...

I am still friends with the ex bowl keeper there.
He's unemployed now. He's the one who taught me to bowl.

It was bloody freezing....used to go there when visiting my Grandma who lived just along Blackpool Rd in the early 60s. My dear old Dad used to tell us that we were soft southern Jessies for complaining that the water was like ice.....I didn't dare point out that he wasn't that keen either.

They're a sad site now.... No bowls keeper there anymore so nobody to keep the kids off them hacking them up with golf clubs etc...

I am still friends with the ex bowl keeper there.
He's unemployed now. He's the one who taught me to bowl.

Thats a shame, I know my Dad spent so many happy times on there. Even back then, as kids, we tried to kick a ball on them but the "Parky" always had some built in instinct and within minutes we were cleared off.

Thats a shame, I know my Dad spent so many happy times on there. Even back then, as kids, we tried to kick a ball on them but the "Parky" always had some built in instinct and within minutes we were cleared off.

You never know. I may have played against your dad in my youth.
I must have played against most of the chaps who went on there at some point.

It is a shame. It's cost cutting and has destroyed two greens which many used to love using. Especially our old boys. Don't know where they all go now. Maybe they still use them on occasion but it won't be the same for them anymore.

Last edited:
You never know. I may have played against your dad in my youth.
I must have played against most of the chaps who went on there at some point.

It is a shame. It's cost cutting and has destroyed two greens which many used to love using. Especially our old boys. Don't know where they all go now. Maybe they still use them on occasion but it won't be the same for them anymore.

My Old dad played for Parkfield Labour Club many years ago it was that popular they had 4 teams in the Preston and district he said after Parkfields Green Hassy parks where in the best in the area.