Sciatica Pain / Piriformis Syndrome

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I am in quite a lot of discomfort at the moment caused by a problem with my piriformis muscle which is trapping a nerve in my butt and causing shooting pains down my leg…

Does anyone know of a decent sports therapist who could sort it for me….. it is quite horrible and I can’t sit, stand or lie without being in pain..

Warton PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
My old man had a slipped disc issue last year and he was in quite a bit of pain. He worked with a lad called James Boardman who works at Sargent Fitness. He's a trained Sports Therapist who works for the Lashers too.

Not sure if Blackpool is too far to travel but would definitely recommend, Ando

Edit: He also does clinics on a Monday/Tuesday night at Ribby Hall.

OP
Ando60

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
My old man had a slipped disc issue last year and he was in quite a bit of pain. He worked with a lad called James Boardman who works at Sargent Fitness. He's a trained Sports Therapist who works for the Lashers too.

Not sure if Blackpool is too far to travel but would definitely recommend, Ando

Edit: He also does clinics on a Monday/Tuesday night at Ribby Hall.
Cheers, thanks very much for taking time out to respond.

I will definitely look him up !!

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Not a therapist unfortunately but after a previous bout of sciatica I picked up one of these TENS type machines off Amazon. Isn't perfect but it fills the void waiting for appointments and tablets to kick in. Whilst there must be some logic about the electrical impulses and your muscles and nerves I think some of it is almost a distraction that you feel the machine pulses so you are distracted from the pain. Think it's the same concept of what they give to pregnant women as an alternative pain relief method

Amazon product
Like I say, it's not perfect but it was useful as allowed me to drive a bit easier and sit at a desk or chair for longer without needing to get up and about.

Also had a lovely set of bouncing baby twins without even feeling them pass.

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
I am in quite a lot of discomfort at the moment caused by a problem with my piriformis muscle which is trapping a nerve in my butt and causing shooting pains down my leg…

Does anyone know of a decent sports therapist who could sort it for me….. it is quite horrible and I can’t sit, stand or lie without being in pain..
Ambulent I think it’s called on Plungi. Physio called Johnny was really good.

OP
Ando60

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Not a therapist unfortunately but after a previous bout of sciatica I picked up one of these TENS type machines off Amazon. Isn't perfect but it fills the void waiting for appointments and tablets to kick in. Whilst there must be some logic about the electrical impulses and your muscles and nerves I think some of it is almost a distraction that you feel the machine pulses so you are distracted from the pain. Think it's the same concept of what they give to pregnant women as an alternative pain relief method

Amazon product
Like I say, it's not perfect but it was useful as allowed me to drive a bit easier and sit at a desk or chair for longer without needing to get up and about.

Also had a lovely set of bouncing baby twins without even feeling them pass.
Thanks Jake….

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron

Have you had that actually diagnosed Ando? Definitely could be piriformis related, but with sciatica the problem could be caused any where between the neck and where the pain is. Definitely get it seen.