PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Scottish independence referendum

She seems 'hell bent' on getting what she wants at any price. Without even considering "why" (independence) in the first place, economically it will never work.

If the scots, welsh or NI want to leave the union it's entirely up to them. On the basis of your argument the citizens of the 27 states of the European Union should have had a vote about our wish to leave
In that case it could have been an even bigger margin to leave if them narrowbacks from the EU voted in the referendum

If the scots, welsh or NI want to leave the union it's entirely up to them. On the basis of your argument the citizens of the 27 states of the European Union should have had a vote about our wish to leave
The EU is made up of individual countries, I'd argue that's not the case with the UK.

The EU is made up of individual countries, I'd argue that's not the case with the UK.
Of course the Union comprises 4 different countries. For example, the Acts of Union quite clearly brought two separate countries together to form one. Even though they (Scotland and England) shared a monarch, they didnt share a parliament. Wales and NI are different in a number of ways, but we are 4 distinct countries. If any country wishes to democratically vote to leave, then so be it.

Of course the Union comprises 4 different countries. For example, the Acts of Union quite clearly brought two separate countries together to form one. Even though they (Scotland and England) shared a monarch, they didnt share a parliament. Wales and NI are different in a number of ways, but we are 4 distinct countries. If any country wishes to democratically vote to leave, then so be it.
Don't Scotland and England share a government? I'd say they absolutely although some powers have been devolved. And as you pointed out, there's the monarchy.

The EU, on the other hand, isn't a union, it's effectively a club with members of common interests.

Don't Scotland and England share a government? I'd say they absolutely although some powers have been devolved. And as you pointed out, there's the monarchy.

The EU, on the other hand, isn't a union, it's effectively a club with members of common interests.
The point is that 2 sovereign nations joined together formally in 1707. Two countries, which can just as easily split again. It's bugger all to do with the England if Scotland wish to return to the status quo ante

Don't be daft LiS....... Let them vote on it and If they want to leave then let them leave... It's naff all to do with the rest of us...
Tbh, if I had a vote, I'd probably vote for Scottish independence to get rid. They're a pain in he arse. :D

The problem is, their economy couldn't support independence so we'd probably end up subsidising them anyway.

It's just the principle for me, who does Sturgeon think she is.

I wouldn’t want the union to break up.

Personally I’d have the UK Federalised, each nation devolved to do their own thing on a domestic level, with a remaining UK government being responsible for Foreign Affrais and Defence and not much else.

Will never happen however, whilst I can see Scotland buggering off if they’re only other choice is sticking with the status-quo.

Tbh, if I had a vote, I'd probably vote for Scottish independence to get rid. They're a pain in he arse. :D

The problem is, their economy couldn't support independence so we'd probably end up subsidising them anyway.

It's just the principle for me, who does Sturgeon think she is.
Um, the democratically elected leader of the scottish government?

It's just the principle for me, who does Sturgeon think she is

I’d be livid if that was the case.

If they choose to go then fine. But they are on there own! Not in any petty arsey way, but they’ll just be another country at that point.

The point is that 2 sovereign nations joined together formally in 1707. Two countries, which can just as easily split again. It's bugger all to do with the England if Scotland wish to return to the status quo ante
We're just discussing semantics really, my point is that it's a two way union. Like marriage, it's not a simple case of one decides independently, especially when it comes to assets.