PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Scunthorpe Utd.

Really glad this has happened as my eldest lad is a Scunny fan and goes to all the games, even this season he has been going both home and away although they have been in bottom place. I just hope that they can stay up this season and move on from next season

Scunthorpe were the opposition at Deepdale on November 5th 1985, witnessed by 2,003. A happier memory of Scunthorpe, was Boxing Day 1983. Featuring, Ian Botham at centre half for Scunny, PNE came away with the points courtesy of a 5-1 win.

Scunthorpe were the opposition at Deepdale on November 5th 1985, witnessed by 2,003. A happier memory of Scunthorpe, was Boxing Day 1983. Featuring, Ian Botham at centre half for Scunny, PNE came away with the points courtesy of a 5-1 win.
I was at the 5-1 match,janie. It was actually the day after Boxing Day. We beat Port Vale 4-0 at home on Boxing Day and then played at Scunny the very next day believe it or not!! Can’t remember if that was a regular thing back then or just a one-off that particular season.

I was,however, one of the few that weren’t at the infamous game vs Scunny!…..🤣

I was at the 5-1 match,janie. It was actually the day after Boxing Day. We beat Port Vale 4-0 at home on Boxing Day and then played at Scunny the very next day believe it or not!! Can’t remember if that was a regular thing back then or just a one-off that particular season.

Then away at Bradford, then home to walsall, all terrific games.

I was there for 'both' games. I'll get me coat.
Very impressive, both the pun and the support. 👍

You're right Henry. I went against Port Vale, hardly surprising they conceded 4, Barry Siddall was their keeper. I missed the Scunthorpe away game, I'd gone to Anfield with my mate Richard and his parents, who were big Leicester City fans.

Yes, I went to Bradford as well, 3-2 defeat IIRC. It was a windy day and 2 goals were scored direct from corners, one for each team.
The pitch was a quagmire as well. I remember what looked like a certain goal for us got stuck in the mud in the goal mouth. The away end thought it had gone in and started celebrating. Players from all angles sliding in, trying to get a touch. Exciting stuff, wouldn't even have been played in this era.

Very impressive, both the pun and the support. 👍

You're right Henry. I went against Port Vale, hardly surprising they conceded 4, Barry Siddall was their keeper. I missed the Scunthorpe away game, I'd gone to Anfield with my mate Richard and his parents, who were big Leicester City fans.
Barry Siddall!😱🤣

Incredible how quickly they've dropped...go back 4-5 years and they were in the play offs in league one! Bizarre decision to sack Grezza when he was doing well there.

Always seemed a bit of a boom and bust club to me, one minute signing lots of experienced players on big deals and the next being on brink of extinction.

Incredible how quickly they've dropped...go back 4-5 years and they were in the play offs in league one! Bizarre decision to sack Grezza when he was doing well there.

Always seemed a bit of a boom and bust club to me, one minute signing lots of experienced players on big deals and the next being on brink of extinction.
I remember a few years back at Deepdale, one if their players went down after a tackle. Our fans changed 'Soft Yorkshire bastard', to howls of derision from Scunthorpe fans😊