PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Sheff Utd v PNE - 29/04/23 - KO:15:00 (Lashers relegation party)

In a normal situation we’d expect to get beat at the second best team in the league. In a normal situation we’d be a bit peeves about conceding 4 goals to them. In a situation like today it’s totally unacceptable.

This quote should shame our players, hierarchy and management. We had a week to prepare for today, presumably in training everyday. They had one day of light training after what sounds like a mess of a celebration, their bodies presumably having a bigger than average intake of alcohol.

Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"The team was excellent - the approach and mentality. Any time you play on a Wednesday night and then again on a Saturday, your margin for error and for recuperation is reduced.

"We also celebrated fairly well on Wednesday into Thursday, so it was all about our mentality and approach and I couldn't be any prouder of the staff and players. The performance was excellent and the scoreline reflected that.

"Picking the team was about having six players on the pitch who could last 90 minutes, and that's not us taking the game lightly.

"We were all together celebrating and then we were all together preparing for this. It has been a remarkable season - we have two games left and want to win them, get over 90 points."

RL came over to the fans at the end for longer than normal. He got a rendition of Ryan Lowe’s Super White Army. He looked like he actually appreciated our efforts/dedication. Hard to tell.

In my opinion, what seemed like a strong midfield at the start of the season has been pretty poor. DJ and Ledson don’t seem able to do the press leaving an easy out for the opposition. Woodburn is terrible. Whiteman and McCann in and out with injuries. Onomah too late in the day.
It has left our defence totally exposed when we push for a goal against all but the weakest of teams.
The lack of mobility in the middle means there is no pass on. We are too slow.
Perfect example was today. But it was not the first time this season we have been snuffed out in possession.
I think we lack quality more than effort.
After today I think DJ’s wages may be better spent on some box to box runners.

RL came over to the fans at the end for longer than normal. He got a rendition of Ryan Lowe’s Super White Army. He looked like he actually appreciated our efforts/dedication. Hard to tell.

In my opinion, what seemed like a strong midfield at the start of the season has been pretty poor. DJ and Ledson don’t seem able to do the press leaving an easy out for the opposition. Woodburn is terrible. Whiteman and McCann in and out with injuries. Onomah too late in the day.
It has left our defence totally exposed when we push for a goal against all but the weakest of teams.
The lack of mobility in the middle means there is no pass on. We are too slow.
Perfect example was today. But it was not the first time this season we have been snuffed out in possession.
I think we lack quality more than effort.
After today I think DJ’s wages may be better spent on some box to box runners.
DJ usually runs more yards than his fellow midfielders ( Onomah, Ledson, McCann.. and when fit .. Whiteman and Browne ) . He does give us some control in midfield and if he is not offered a new contract I feel his presence would be greatly missed !
If Woodburn and Potts get a shirt next season we will win NOTHING.

In a normal situation we’d expect to get beat at the second best team in the league. In a normal situation we’d be a bit peeves about conceding 4 goals to them. In a situation like today it’s totally unacceptable.

This quote should shame our players, hierarchy and management. We had a week to prepare for today, presumably in training everyday. They had one day of light training after what sounds like a mess of a celebration, their bodies presumably having a bigger than average intake of alcohol.

Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"The team was excellent - the approach and mentality. Any time you play on a Wednesday night and then again on a Saturday, your margin for error and for recuperation is reduced.

"We also celebrated fairly well on Wednesday into Thursday, so it was all about our mentality and approach and I couldn't be any prouder of the staff and players. The performance was excellent and the scoreline reflected that.

"Picking the team was about having six players on the pitch who could last 90 minutes, and that's not us taking the game lightly.

"We were all together celebrating and then we were all together preparing for this. It has been a remarkable season - we have two games left and want to win them, get over 90 points."
Yes get beaten by ' big ' / ' top six ' teams with ex lower end Premier League players / International or ex Internationals with parachute money big budgets - fair enough to a point ! .

But yes too many pastings by the likes of the Dingles , Norwich , Boro , and it seems to be shrugged off as ' normal ' if Preston have conceded three or four goals yet again .

Also heads seem to go down when the inevitable second goal goes in .

Can't remember it happening too often with Alex Neil or Simon Grayson .

' Odd ' 🤔

With a sheff Utd fan who thinks DJ was by far our stand out player. He’s class and we need to keep him IMO

They’ve a different song to the 50 grand song which I’ve heard all night. “Mind the gap, mind the gap Sheffield Wednesday”

Exactly to get to within one game left with a chance of the playoffs I would have bitten your hands off at the beginning of the season you add injuries to key players as well
Shows how utterly shite the quality of the league is this season. A halfway competent manager backed even a little bit by the club, and we might have been more of a shout for getting top 6.

Shows how utterly shite the quality of the league is this season. A halfway competent manager backed even a little bit by the club, and we might have been more of a shout for getting top 6.
Difficult to argue, sheff Utd fans say the same and know they’ll be back in a season.

I’ve been positive but mainly because it’s a poor league. Issue for me is recruitment, no probs with the loan signings as in Alvaro and TC, they’ve been our better players but we’ve not really got any income from players we own.

My concern with RL is motivation too many players were poor today didn't get a response second half No whiteman & AF & DJ being poor today we never stood a chance ...these three have been immense though....
My concern isn’t motivation, my concern is his ability as a coach.

There’s a solid argument that he hasn’t improved any players really this season with his coaching.

He swears blind with this boring as fuck 5-3-2 but shouts about his ‘brand’ to anyone who will listen and seems totally inept when it comes to getting a performance from his team against sides in the top half of the league.

That will be as far as his rant goes or PR will get rid and simply appoint yet another Yes Man to take his place.

It's what he does !
True ! , seen it at work , proteges and clones - also seen it happen to a lesser extent with the union too .

The Riddler likes someone in his own image , but yes it could also be the you've talked yourself out of a job one ; if anyone will have you in League One or Two .

It was noticed on Radio Lancashire when Postman Frankie was sacked after losing to Rovers , that it was no coincidence that Preston had been beaten by the Lashers five weeks earlier .

Then Ridsdale was getting quite some stick , maybe some were going too far ? ........but .

DJ usually runs more yards than his fellow midfielders ( Onomah, Ledson, McCann.. and when fit .. Whiteman and Browne ) . He does give us some control in midfield and if he is not offered a new contract I feel his presence would be greatly missed !
If Woodburn and Potts get a shirt next season we will win NOTHING.
Agree mainly, but no way can you cite Woodburn and Potts in the same breath.
Presuming we can get an upgrade Potts may not be on the Team sheet week in and week. He does however put a shift in and is at the very least a good squad member.
Woodburn is lacking in virtually everything you need to even be a squad Player for a Championship Club.
Lightweight, no presence, doesn't show enough, not that much skill to stand out, so not really sure what his qualities are TBH.
At least Potts has some of those plus the odd wonder strike!!

Agree mainly, but no way can you cite Woodburn and Potts in the same breath.
Presuming we can get an upgrade Potts may not be on the Team sheet week in and week. He does however put a shift in and is at the very least a good squad member.
Woodburn is lacking in virtually everything you need to even be a squad Player for a Championship Club.
Lightweight, no presence, doesn't show enough, not that much skill to stand out, so not really sure what his qualities are TBH.
At least Potts has some of those plus the odd wonder strike!!
I’m not a great fan of Potts from a point of view of skill levels. But I believe he deserves some kudos for getting out there week after week playing his heart out in a position that was never a natural fit. In later matches I’ve been thinking what we would have got out of him as a midfielder? I know if I was him having to play as a square peg it would make me appreciate my true position more and it would give me motivation to get back into that position. Who knows we might more from him as a midfielder .

I’m not a great fan of Potts from a point of view of skill levels. But I believe he deserves some kudos for getting out there week after week playing his heart out in a position that was never a natural fit. In later matches I’ve been thinking what we would have got out of him as a midfielder? I know if I was him having to play as a square peg it would make me appreciate my true position more and it would give me motivation to get back into that position. Who knows we might more from him as a midfielder .
Good point.I made a similar point to my lad yesterday,along the lines of has Lowe ruined Potts' career by playing him at wb He seems like a good athlete and nobody can question his commitment, so why not give him a prolonged spell as a midfielder. Yes we do currently have good midfielders but underachieving ones I would argue

Good point.I made a similar point to my lad yesterday,along the lines of has Lowe ruined Potts' career by playing him at wb He seems like a good athlete and nobody can question his commitment, so why not give him a prolonged spell as a midfielder. Yes we do currently have good midfielders but underachieving ones I would argue
Potts isn’t good enough on the ball to be an effective midfielder

Even under Neil, he was only used in games against the big sides when we needed more physicality and would have less of the ball

We are nowhere near good enough it’s as simple as that.

Until so,etching at the top changes that’s the way it will always be.
We might have been nr top 6 but I just didn't believe we would get in there hoping we did are record against the top sides is shocking -11 goal difference says it all. We would prob finish between 11th & 12th like we normally do.