PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Sheff Utd v PNE - 29/04/23 - KO:15:00 (Lashers relegation party)

Year after year our determination not to pay decent money for strikers kills any hope of promotion. fighting for a top 6 finish with a large minus goal deficit reduces our chances greatly. The top teams, evey year have large goals for figures. You have to score to win but we just will not spend in that part of the team.
Given we are apparently reducing the budget by circa 5 million this year I don't see how we will compete yet again next season, frustrating.

Given we are apparently reducing the budget by circa 5 million this year I don't see how we will compete yet again next season, frustrating.
If that ends up being true, we are down already

This year was a walk in the park in Championship terms, next season our squad will get mullered without big improvements

I’m not a great fan of Potts from a point of view of skill levels. But I believe he deserves some kudos for getting out there week after week playing his heart out in a position that was never a natural fit. In later matches I’ve been thinking what we would have got out of him as a midfielder? I know if I was him having to play as a square peg it would make me appreciate my true position more and it would give me motivation to get back into that position. Who knows we might more from him as a midfielder .
He needs the safety of the touch line. He has neither the first touch, nor the technique and peripheral awareness to get by in the middle of the pitch. We tried it and he was constantly one touch from giving the ball away.

That’s a penalty but who really cares

Lowe gets his mate his appearance bonus
Thank god that didn’t cost us anything.
As blatant a penalty you’ll see right under the ref and liners noses and neither of them give it.
Shite officiating once again.

Thank god that didn’t cost us anything.
As blatant a penalty you’ll see right under the ref and liners noses and neither of them give it.
Shite officiating once again.
Aye defo a pen watched the highlights back this morning yet another shit Ref in Championship

Potts isn’t good enough on the ball to be an effective midfielder

Even under Neil, he was only used in games against the big sides when we needed more physicality and would have less of the ball
I can agree with you on most counts but you mention something which we’ve been missing in midfield and that’s the ‘physicality’ .. Potts will put himself about plus he’ll do something Johnson, Browne , Whiteman, McCann, Ledson and Woodburn , et Al haven’t done this season and that’s score goals..

As always it was a good trip out.

Enjoyed the atmosphere but as always let down with 90 minutes of football.

Lovley of you to think of me at 6.20am.

Early riser, no problem, have a lovely rest of your day. 😉

Having watched the highlights, it reinforces my view I had on the day.
  • Firstly... the xG stats were SUFC 2.3 - PNE 1.4... which feels a fair reflection - Sheffield made more opportunities and on balance deserved to win.
  • Pretty even-sevens until a corner landed on a tall lad's head. One of those things, really.
  • Very good PNE goal but at 1-1, we pushed forward too much, too soon, against a team that can destroy teams on the break. Their second goal.. we're caught out with far too many players up front. IMO, we made the same error at Swansea. OK to 'go gung ho' in the last ten - but don't panic to soon!
  • The second goal pretty much kills our chances of a win... but having given them the freedom of Sheffield, it's never going in without a fortunate deflection.
  • Third goal... Gung ho again, to the point of amateurishness... caught out with no cover.
  • Definite penalty (might have just brought some interest) somehow not given. On the day, it looked very much a pen, but my view wasn't great). And the fourth goal is just more of the same.
We were doing OK at 1-1 with 25 minutes left. I'm not saying don't attack, obvs. But there's got to be balance. Our best chance was to keep plugging away against a team we'd frustrated by equalising (obvs... there's a danger of this being said with hindsight, and if our all-out attack had worked then ??? but I believe it to be an honest opinion)
For goodness sake, when we go 2-1 down then draw breath before going gung ho again! Criminal to lose another goal so quickly - especially as we were exceptionally unlucky not to get a penalty shortly after that (arguably) could have been another equaliser.. Fourth goal almost doesn't count for me!
Lots of ifs and buts. We made opportunities. Definitely not a 4-1 game. But for a bit of luck, and a bit of coolness after we equalised, it could have been different.