PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Sheffield Wednesday v PNE -19/08/23 - KO:3PM - Championship

The free kick that Browne decided to take on the right handside of the area when he tried to do a Whiteman v Shitpool shoul of been Kian's all day, I've said before I think Best could do really well further forward ala Duane Holmes
That’s a good shout……

It’s not necessarily the end of his first team experience even if we bring a LWB in….

With a good start and a home game Saturday.
What a week it would be for the club to announce Cannon before Saturday. Would be a huge plus for fans and club relations, surely PR can see that

Just watched the online highlights on the official site. A couple of things. Apart from the cross by Best in the first half that saw a Potts effort saved it is evident that there was also another brilliant cross by him in that half which saw Keane deflect the ball wide of the post - that wasn't apparent initially. Also though the highlights don't show the apparent trip on Keane in the second half that I think was a real one and should have given us a penalty, they do show the freekick by Browne in the second half that was deflected for a corner. But the ball clearly comes off the upper arm of their defender who actually stuck his arm out slightly so maybe that should have been a penalty to us as well.

Was @Ando60 performing? I heard he'd given up work for a new life in the wonderful world of wrestling, going by the name of 'The Procurer'!! 🤼‍♂️

Excited Ric Flair GIF
Yes! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DSC00297a.jpg

With a good start and a home game Saturday.
What a week it would be for the club to announce Cannon before Saturday. Would be a huge plus for fans and club relations, surely PR can see that
Been saying that for weeks maybe next week is the time, with PR I would not bet on it. Only do transfers from Mon -Wed

We didn't create a proper chance apart from the goal, which was a set piece.

The cross from Best in the first half that led to the shot by Potts? The cross from the same source shortly after that led to to the deflection just past the post by Keane?

The cross from Best in the first half that led to the shot by Potts? The cross from the same source shortly after that led to to the deflection just past the post by Keane?
Half chances at best. Our xG yesterday was 0.53.

I said his cross for the assist was looped up and over, which the prior comment had bemoaned Brady for.

The comment about whipping it in hitting the first man was just meant to illustrate that they're less memorable cross attempts when they go wrong, so you don't necessarily remember when people try them.

Billymac, for instance, was previously bemoaning Brady for hitting the first man from dead ball situations. They both send in both kinds of delivery.

None of this is putting him down. I'm just discussing his attributes like an adult.
My problem with Brady's bad crosses is that they slow down in the air giving defenders time to get ready, whereas Best's crosses in general manage to stay the same speed. Best gets the right spin on them

Steve Doyle also played 200 games for us, making his debut as a 16 year old and had 600+ league games.
All good examples of youth being no barrier if you are good enough.

His age isn't the barrier, his talent level is.

His age is the reason why we should be ensuring he can fulfil his potential.

A lot of people get obsessed with xG, surely actual goals scored is more important the expected goals

If there was any way of measuring it properly it would be a perfect stat.

Different models have different biases. Mads’ goal vs Sunderland had an xG of 0.25 according to FotMob.

Are we really suggesting that a professional footballer only tucks that away once every four goes?

Even so, 5 total shots from us, don’t think we really created anything

If there was any way of measuring it properly it would be a perfect stat.

Different models have different biases. Mads’ goal vs Sunderland had an xG of 0.25 according to FotMob.

Are we really suggesting that a professional footballer only tucks that away once every four goes?

Even so, 5 total shots from us, don’t think we really created anything
There's other factors that xG doesn't take into consideration. I don't think xG acknowledges how many players are blocking the sight of goal for the shooter, for example. The xG is largely just telling us how many players score from that position, with that foot, in that situation (open play, set piece, etc.).

It's best used when judging performance over a period of time rather than the individual games/shots. Currently we're among the teams with the lowest xG in the league but it's only 3 games in so there's not a lot of data to judge off.

His age isn't the barrier, his talent level is.

His age is the reason why we should be ensuring he can fulfil his potential.
Surely you are not implying that he hasn't got the required talent level when the start to the Season he has had, would suggest the opposite.
He does need to be handled correctly though and rested when need be, but for now he's doing great!!

Surely you are not implying that he hasn't got the required talent level when the start to the Season he has had, would suggest the opposite.
He does need to be handled correctly though and rested when need be, but for now he's doing great!!

Despite his lovely set piece delivery I don't think he is good enough at the rest of the game yet, yes that's what I'm saying.

In his 4 matches thus far, he hasn't performed well for a championship player, he has performed well for a 17 year old kid.

Again, if you think he's good enough to be a regular starter at this level, that's your prerogative, but I disagree.

Despite his lovely set piece delivery I don't think he is good enough at the rest of the game yet, yes that's what I'm saying.

In his 4 matches thus far, he hasn't performed well for a championship player, he has performed well for a 17 year old kid.

Again, if you think he's good enough to be a regular starter at this level, that's your prerogative, but I disagree.
Fair enough - nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.