PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Sheffield Wednesday v PNE -19/08/23 - KO:3PM - Championship

A lot of people get obsessed with xG, surely actual goals scored is more important the expected goals
Of course it is. But over a period of time xG gives an idea as to whether you’re riding your luck or not. And that’s useful to know.

Are we living in some parallel universe?
PNE have won away and sit handily placed in the table after an encouraging start to the season, and for the most part
the "glass half empty" brigade are once again trying to focus on any possible negative they can muster.
For goodness sake enjoy the victory and stop picking fault in a distinctly depleted squad who are still getting results.
Thank God we didn't lose yesterday or we would now already be on page 70 of this thread!!

Despite his lovely set piece delivery I don't think he is good enough at the rest of the game yet, yes that's what I'm saying.

In his 4 matches thus far, he hasn't performed well for a championship player, he has performed well for a 17 year old kid.

Again, if you think he's good enough to be a regular starter at this level, that's your prerogative, but I disagree.
He’s “one of our own” and he’s 17 which will cause bias and cloud judgement and you’re probably right that we will need better against better sides.

Tough decision really and quite similar to Everton and TC, do we leave him on the bench all season if we sign a LWB or send him on loan? And if we do send him on loan, we must insist (if possible) that he plays regularly.

FWIW, I think we’ve a special player on our hands

He’s “one of our own” and he’s 17 which will cause bias and cloud judgement and you’re probably right that we will need better against better sides.

Tough decision really and quite similar to Everton and TC, do we leave him on the bench all season if we sign a LWB or send him on loan? And if we do send him on loan, we must insist (if possible) that he plays regularly.

This is absolutely bang on the money . Saw him pinging in free kicks into the top bins at U19 level last season regular as clockwork. Left foot = wand.

Let’s also remember that Kian generally has played LCH or CM until this season. Happy to be told I’m wrong but he’s not to the best of my knowledge played LWB until this pre season. In which case, it makes his rise even more impressive. We need to look after him. I also think KT has something a bit special.

Sign the LWB we need.
Keep Best in and around the squad bringing him on when appropriate and play him in most reserve matches or in 1st team if he’s needed.
Assess things again at the end of this season when he’ll still only be 18.

Of course it is. But over a period of time xG gives an idea as to whether you’re riding your luck or not. And that’s useful to know.
It’s how we all knew plastics were going to fade last season, as they were bottom of the XG league at Christmas. As soon as Brereton missed a chance or two they were doomed. Such a shame.

Are we living in some parallel universe?
PNE have won away and sit handily placed in the table after an encouraging start to the season, and for the most part
the "glass half empty" brigade are once again trying to focus on any possible negative they can muster.
For goodness sake enjoy the victory and stop picking fault in a distinctly depleted squad who are still getting results.
Thank God we didn't lose yesterday or we would now already be on page 70 of this thread!!
We won yesterday and my wife's now making me watch Downton Abbey.

Some proper goons chanting ‘Bambo, what’s the score’ yesterday. We’ve got some proper melons in our fanbase.
The same melons who were sat in our seats yesterday, and claimed it was unreserved seating so we should move elsewhere. When I pointed out my 6 year old nephew was with me and they needed to move, they accused me of being out of order!

When I started asking everyone around me if it was unreserved seating, they soon moved elsewhere.