Should the PNE players take the knee ??

sapphire

First Team
The new season is just around the corner - we’ve heard the booing at recent televised games . Should our players take the knee next season ?? I’m definitely not racist and support the established “ kick it out of football” announcements and the display of the associated banners but dislike the “taking of the knee” . It’s become too political and the actual taking of the knee seems like something out of “the game of thrones”. I would never ever boo persons taking the knee but by the same token I don’t think the people booing intend any racial abuse - they just don’t want this political action taking place before a game of football. I and many others will feel some discomfort if booing takes place next season because I don’t think the great majority of PNE fans are in anyway racist - so I hope the players do not take the knee.

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
for me people who want to make the gesture political will do so, but that is not what the players are saying by doing it and not what the protest is saying. Some even argue clapping the NHS was political !!... The problem for me is with the boo'ers not the kneelers!

IF the players want to do it then I'm all for it.... especially because I've never been abused for being white.....so I cant put myself in the place of those who have been (or their team mates)....

Until all have equal opportunities then I'm happy to support anyone that stands up for the marginalised.

The only times I might boo would be to protest at those who boo players for making a stand they think is important.

I hope we get to a time where the players dont need too......but its clearly not yet...

IF they dont follow this action (knee bending) what do you think they should be allowed to do to make a stand against discrimination ?

KeithLard

Forum Patron
Patron
I don't / won't boo but I also think the kneeling has to stop. It is going around in circles and achieving nothing. It will continue to booed by a significant proportion of every club, and it will then be continually pointed out in the media, and then over and over and over again. Meanwhile, racism in the sport doesn't change at all.

People say it has nothing to do with the political element of BLM, but the names are the same, the action of kneeling is unnaturally subservient, so it will ALWAYS divide people. Not everyone is comfortable with it and I would argue plenty of footballers don't like doing it, but fear not doing it will get them called racist. As is what happens in society today, you get called racist at the drop of a hat.

A different symbolic gesture would be fine, and would be welcomed by all except obviously the very extreme, actual, racists that are a very small proportion of society who quite rightly need to be identified and exiled from the game.

OP
S

sapphire

First Team
“I’m not racist…..but”

anyone who thinks we need to stop ‘taking the knee’ whilst players are getting boo’ed for doing it needs to give their head a wobble
just to reinforce - I abhor any form of racism - would always / and have previously challenged any racist incidents that have taken place in my presence - I certainly don’t need to give “my head a wobble “ - you added the ‘but’ to my statement - why is there suspicion when someone states they are definitely not racist ? Can there not be sensible discussion on this serious matter?

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
I'd have no issue if BLM in the case of these protests became BLMAMAM....... stops the link to any political movement for those upset by this......
AMAM = As Much As Mine!.... but until they do, and they currently dont in too many places, then anything that creates debate is better than doing nothing......imo

I'd argue that taking the knee has created more conversation than the annual wearing of the Kick It Out tee shirts 1nce a season....

I believe people take the knee when knighted by the Queen so it is more than just subservient and obviously links to the George Floyd murder....
but as I say, I dont mind what action the players take IF THEY FEEL something has to be done to highlight the continued issue in football.

I'm not aware there is a problem @ Deepdale.....or at least I haven't witnessed a problem..... but I will continue to support the players take any action they think is important....

Baldygit

Forum Patron
Patron
The choice should be for each individual player to decide. Personally I think it is losing it's original meaning and impact becoming "white noise" to many (not just football fans).

New York White

First Team
If they want to kneel, let them kneel. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people being called racist, just because they object to something that others do not agree with. It’s becoming quite common now over here in the States that groups like BLM are now creating the language on what is racist and if you don’t agree then you are a racist. For examples, my kids school are introducing the critical race theory into their curriculum. It is based on a Marxist doctrine and they’ve just changed class for race and wrapped it up with vanilla icing. Part of that curriculum is telling the kids that they have this thing called ‘implicit bias’, which means they are racist at birth. I object to this ‘theory’, therefore by default I am a racist.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
As with England, only in this country could we get to a situation when some fans boo their own players before a ball is kicked.
Any supporter who doesn’t agree with taking the knee should just observe their own private silence in protest because any booing of your own team is pathetic.....even if you foolishly believe you are only booing the gesture.

Mickypne

Advisor to the Owner
Honestly not bothered if they do choose to or not. I get the message behind it but I don’t think it’s any use. The booing is completely pathetic though. If you don’t agree with it all, just ignore it.
This for me. The knee is pointless, it's proving nothing. Fifa uefa etc are the ones who could do more. Mam city did a good thing last week, they banned a fan for life for racism. That's more than what fifa and uefa and the knee have done.

Funky Monk

Forum Patron
Patron
If they want to kneel, let them kneel. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people being called racist, just because they object to something that others do not agree with. It’s becoming quite common now over here in the States that groups like BLM are now creating the language on what is racist and if you don’t agree then you are a racist. For examples, my kids school are introducing the critical race theory into their curriculum. It is based on a Marxist doctrine and they’ve just changed class for race and wrapped it up with vanilla icing. Part of that curriculum is telling the kids that they have this thing called ‘implicit bias’, which means they are racist at birth. I object to this ‘theory’, therefore by default I am a racist.
Is there anything in particular you don’t like about Marxism?

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
not sure what implicit bias is but I am doing a training course soon on unconscious bias.......
I did comment that it would be ok but for the fact it is run by 'southerners'......
but I suspect thats conscious bias and so I can get away with it !

just a question.... is wrapping things in Vanilla icing classed as racist by some ?? its that type of language twisting that I would object to being criticised, but the issue has gone on far longer than 12 months of knee kneeling.....

to the question 'how long will it go on.... then hopefully until it never has too.