PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Sick Grenfell Tower video.

northender0602

Patron
Anyone seen this? I have come across it on social media and it is disgusting. I cannot believe that people think it’s funny, plus the fact that they think it’s acceptable to film it and maybe post on social media? Can only think it’s the only way it has come to light. If that is so, they really are short of brain cells. You can see some faces clearly, so they are seriously going to end up getting some grief, can’t say I have much sympathy to be honest.

5 men have been arrested in connection with a video showing the burning of an effigy of Grenfell Tower.

Met Police said the men - two aged 49 and the rest aged 19, 46 & 55 handed themselves in to a south London police station.

While sick making fun of this , There are some who just like to be offended, we may as well shut all the comedy clubs down now for goodness sake get a grip what crime has been committed? I am sure this will be investigated with many hours of police time wasted, just to appease those who like to be offended but god help you if you get your house burgled you may even get given a crime number if you are lucky.

How sick are some people....... It was pre-meditated and planned - they should go to prison !

sussexrob;n3400494 said:
While sick making fun of this , There are some who just like to be offended, we may as well shut all the comedy clubs down now for goodness sake get a grip what crime has been committed? I am sure this will be investigated with many hours of police time wasted, just to appease those who like to be offended but god help you if you get your house burgled you may even get given a crime number if you are lucky.

A public order offence.

sussexrob;n3400494 said:

Clearly this is horrific behaviour but I was also wondering what the criminal offence is here. Sadly being terminally stupid is not (yet) a criminal offence and burning effigies at this time of year is pretty common. I'm in no way condoning it but given the police just last week were saying that they should focus more on violent offences etc I do wonder what "public order offence" has been committed here.

sussexrob;n3400494 said:

Fully agree - it was very sick, and I would hope that their friends, family, and employers have something to say. Arresting them, though? Some worrying implications for freedom of speech.

Making fun of a tragedy I would say is just pathetic and to see the ages of those arrested is downright embarrassing. I thought it was going to say a few school kids had been caught doing it. Probably the same sort of people who would make Munich jokes at a Man Utd fan. It causes great offence and could lead to disturbance if people react. It's amazing how some people can show such outrage at a footballer not wearing a poppy, but then can't see anything wrong with this kind of thing?

Last edited:
Dirty Harry;n3400524 said:
Making fun of a tragedy I would say is just pathetic and to see the ages of those arrested is downright embarrassing. I thought it was going to say a few school kids had been caught doing it. Probably the same sort of people who would make Munich jokes at a Man Utd fan. It causes great offence and could lead to disturbance if people react. It's amazing how some people can show such outrage at a footballer not wearing a poppy, but then can't see anything wrong with this kind of thing?

Seems to me that the same people who are outraged at the footballer are the people who think this just a bit of fun.

Strange world init.

Sepp Blatter;n3400523 said:
Fully agree - it was very sick, and I would hope that their friends, family, and employers have something to say. Arresting them, though? Some worrying implications for freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech isn't, and never has been, unfettered. Can't see what offence has been committed though, apart from being utter twats and that's not criminal (unfortunately)

PNEESSEX;n3400530 said:
Freedom of speech isn't, and never has been, unfettered. Can't see what offence has been committed though, apart from being utter twats and that's not criminal (unfortunately)

Of course not but I'm struggling a bit with this one. Remember the pillock that taught his dog to goose step and respond to nazi slogans?... From memory he was definately convicted of a " hate crime " although I don't recal what the sentence was. I actually saw the funny side of that and found it to be ridiculous that he was arrested let alone convicted ( as may I add did many prominent jews that were quoted at the time )... A right old bollocking would have been sufficient in my view.

Can't see anything funny about this one though but the reasoning remains the same.. Should we be convicting fuckwits for being just that?... I know it's tempting but is it right?...

Dirty Harry;n3400531 said:
I would guess the offence here is one of outraging public decency.

There's the problem H ... Who determines what " public decency " is ( let alone outraging it ) ?

Liberation;n3400536 said:
Of course not but I'm struggling a bit with this one. Remember the pillock that taught his dog to goose step and respond to nazi slogans?... From memory he was definately convicted of a " hate crime " although I don't recal what the sentence was. I actually saw the funny side of that and found it to be ridiculous that he was arrested let alone convicted ( as may I add did many prominent jews that were quoted at the time )... A right old bollocking would have been sufficient in my view.

Can't see anything funny about this one though but the reasoning remains the same.. Should we be convicting fuckwits for being just that?... I know it's tempting but is it right?...

I can't see what crime has been committed, but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know? I suspect having their mugs all over the papers and social media will be a salutary experience for them. It does beg the question, what have these morons got between their ears? Clearly not enough grey matter

PNEESSEX;n3400540 said:
I can't see what crime has been committed, but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know? I suspect having their mugs all over the papers and social media will be a salutary experience for them. It does beg the question, what have these morons got between their ears? Clearly not enough grey matter

The men have been arrested under section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs. Racially or religiously aggravated offences carry a prison sentence of up to two years, a fine or both.

sussexrob;n3400494 said:
……………………….. I am sure this will be investigated with many hours of police time wasted, just to appease those who like to be offended but god help you if you get your house burgled you may even get given a crime number if you are lucky.

^^^^^^
Exactly this!

From what I've heard, no crime has been committed.

They've had a night in the cells (which seems well over the top for me). These idiots will suffer public ridicule and never live this down.

Move on quickly. Go looking for the burglars.

Tino;n3400542 said:
The men have been arrested under section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs. Racially or religiously aggravated offences carry a prison sentence of up to two years, a fine or both.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.....presumably if they're charged, they'll whine that their freedom of speech is being compromised

Regardless;n3400544 said:
^^^^^^
Exactly this!

From what I've heard, no crime has been committed.

They've had a night in the cells (which seems well over the top for me). These idiots will suffer public ridicule and never live this down.

Move on quickly. Go looking for the burglars.
As stated above Regardless, it's likely a public order offence but as for the last part of your post, and Essex's slant on things, these type of folk with their mentality probably see public ridicule and their faces/names in the papers as some sort of badge of honour, unfortunately, rather than something that they will learn from.

Last edited: