Sinclair conundrum

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
I‘m not fully convinced on Scott Sinclair. I feel he gets an easier ride than certain other players in the squad because of his big name and reputation.

He‘s certainly our best finisher and is a player who will come up with a couple of big moments every season.

But in terms of general/overall play he‘s a big downgrade compared to Callum Robinson and he goes missing for very large periods of games whether we‘re playing well or not.

He needs to be used more centrally from here onwards and the club need to invest or more pace in wide areas.

Hitch 22

Forum Patron
Patron
On last night's showing, Dolan created more and showed more desire and bravery in his cameo appearance from the bench than Sinclair.

Is it a coincidence that our current demise is at the same time that we smash our legendary wage structure, and our best four players all stall on new deals?

What I think the op is saying, is that something doesn't add up. Sinclair is an asset not the problem. I agree.

But anyone who saw that game last night would see a team that clearly couldn't care less. Mistakes and indifference all over the pitch. A team that was on the cusp of playoffs last season and would never say die.
Shows you how people see things differently. I felt Sinclair was only player showing anything in the first half. Not sure why AN brought him off.

SoccerHQ

Advisor to the Owner
Think he's finally showing what all the fuss is about. Why he's played for plenty of big clubs in his career and was a star player in his division previously (albeit a decade ago).

6 goals is a pretty good return considering he's been subbed early in most of the zombie home games, AN really got to find some sort of system to release him more in final third in home games e.g. perhaps number 10 off Riis.

I reckon he could get 15 this season if he gets on the penalties now given DJ missed his last one.

JJ_PNE

Manager
Quote from AN last night: “Scott has got quality. It was a fantastic strike, when he hit it I was thinking he should have passed it but when it went in it was great”.

AN just needs to let loose of his reigns more/let Sinclair have more freedom and we will see much more of Sinclairs quality as he’s a top top player.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
The only conundrum about Sinclair is as to why people thought there was one.

Well, judging by the number of times Alex Neil has opted not to start him, or has substituted him, it seems the manager has found him something of a conundrum too. There's no doubting he played very well last night but he needs to do it more regularly - especially at home.

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
Quote from AN last night: “Scott has got quality. It was a fantastic strike, when he hit it I was thinking he should have passed it but when it went in it was great”.

AN just needs to let loose of his reigns more/let Sinclair have more freedom and we will see much more of Sinclairs quality as he’s a top top player.
Last few games Sinclair has looked like a man on a mission. Incredible motivation and determination. Once we see players playing with freedom and fluency at home we could start scoring for fun.

Realistic

Manager

Yep. He's got that extra bit of ability. Just brilliant last night, from his opening quick feet and pass to Maguire for the first; his absolute class chip/shot and then his slide rule ball through the defence to DJ. Several of them were outstanding though and they all did well. Tragic that Bauer scores and then that happens.

SoccerHQ

Advisor to the Owner
Been great last few weeks. Probably a bit of it was getting his fitness up as he hadn't played much for Celtic for six months before joining. Then lockdown came six weeks later.

Finally trust between him and AN. In many other games he wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the second as he'd have been subbed.

Barky going off instead shows there's finally big faith in him from the manager.