Sinclair injured?

ernest

Advisor to the Owner

Rudd
Fisher, Huntington, Davies, Hughes
Browne, Ledson
Potts, Johnson, Barkhuizen
Maguire​

That would not surprise me though hopefully it could give the opposition a very nasty shock.

Ledson must return to the starting line-up - Gallagher can only be used as a stopgap now. Potts has also made a close to irrefutable claim to a starting place.

I would much prefer we continued with Earl at left-back - he gives us an additional attacking dimension. Sure he was given a tough time by that Coventry winger but most fullbacks would have been and the only way he is going to add experience to his talent is by playing. Hughes is good solid back-up but he is not going to get any better than he is now, whereas Earl looks to be set to develop into something special.

As for the main striker it seems close to inevitable that AN will opt for Maguire even in a one-upfront line-up even at home. As I've explained I think that would be a mistake. Sitting deep collecting the ball with his back-to-goal and the playing it on to the likes of Barkhuizen, Sinclair, Johnson or Potts Maguire has shown he can be effective when the aim is to be a counter-attacking side in away games. But at our place when a more proactive, adventurous approach is required that really just does not work - he simply has not got either the presence or the pace to lead the line in that way.

Instead the player to use in those circumstances is Riis. At our place the best use of Maguire is as one of a strike partnership if we opt for that approach or even in one of the wide positions in the '3' with a brief to link up with an overlapping fullback or get up in support of the main striker. I've said before that just as Stockley and Sinclair seem to mesh well together as a strike partnership I have had a feeling that Riis and Maguire might prove an effective double-act - I thought we saw signs of that after Riis came on against Coventry. Yes I know Maguire hassled and harried in the last match to set up the chance that Johnson put away and stuck out his foot to score the second but there have been rather more occasions this season at our place when he has just not been able to make an impact when asked to play upfront by himself. But I daresay he will start and no-one will be more pleased than me if he bags a brace by half-time.

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
it sounds like a quad strain (rectus femoris) of the kicking muscle(s).
need to do daily strengthen exercises working up to a pain level of 3 out of 10- wall squats etc. (anything more than level 3 pain then cut back)
you should still be able to do- and encouraged to do- regular exercises that are pain free- such as running (i.e. not totally rest)
when strength back up and ready to start footy then ensure you do a rigerous warm up, working up to simple ball passing BEFORE doing kicking (you will notice the shooting drills on Deepdale are after 20 mins of other warm ups not the odd jog)... We oldies like to whack the ball early and its usually the worst thing we can do !!

As for the hamstring strains - basically 9 levels (3 grades with a; b & c within each grade).
Grade 1 - upto 20% fibres torn and therefore 5 - 14 days out depending on it being an a, b or c strain.

Grade 2 - 20% - 80% fibres torn and so usually 2 - 6 weeks again depending on a; b or c level

Grade 3 - 80&+ upto rupture of muscle (detached) - anywhere from 7weeks to 14 weeks if surgery to re-attach is needed (as per Greg C).

Grade 4 ? never heard of it..

Sinclair looked like a precautionary grade 1 or low grade 2 - i.e. hopefully back after the FA Cup game!
Thanks for the detailed info-it's really useful for someone like me with minimal knowledge of physiotherapy. It would be great if we could have a general injuries thread. For instance I have no idea what Moults long term prognosis is or why it's taking so long as well as Bodin.
I recently tore a calf muscle, it felt like someone had kicked me really hard from behind the like guitar strings were snapping/pinging in my leg. Strange sensation-I even looked behind to see who had kicked me then up to the sky where I thought something must have been falling. Fully recovered now.

Still Hoping

Youth Team
For me Maguire has been good with his back to goal recently, like any frontman if support isn’t around him he will not always keep possession, he has been a big plus in recent weeks

diggerb

Forum Patron
Patron
For me Maguire has been good with his back to goal recently, like any frontman if support isn’t around him he will not always keep possession, he has been a big plus in recent weeks
Completely agree, he has lost most of his pace but has been great at holding the ball up, covering ground and shows some real intelligence when showing for the ball and running into space.

Naughton's moustache

Advisor to the Owner
That would not surprise me though hopefully it could give the opposition a very nasty shock.

Ledson must return to the starting line-up - Gallagher can only be used as a stopgap now. Potts has also made a close to irrefutable claim to a starting place.

I would much prefer we continued with Earl at left-back - he gives us an additional attacking dimension. Sure he was given a tough time by that Coventry winger but most fullbacks would have been and the only way he is going to add experience to his talent is by playing. Hughes is good solid back-up but he is not going to get any better than he is now, whereas Earl looks to be set to develop into something special.

As for the main striker it seems close to inevitable that AN will opt for Maguire even in a one-upfront line-up even at home. As I've explained I think that would be a mistake. Sitting deep collecting the ball with his back-to-goal and the playing it on to the likes of Barkhuizen, Sinclair, Johnson or Potts Maguire has shown he can be effective when the aim is to be a counter-attacking side in away games. But at our place when a more proactive, adventurous approach is required that really just does not work - he simply has not got either the presence or the pace to lead the line in that way.

Instead the player to use in those circumstances is Riis. At our place the best use of Maguire is as one of a strike partnership if we opt for that approach or even in one of the wide positions in the '3' with a brief to link up with an overlapping fullback or get up in support of the main striker. I've said before that just as Stockley and Sinclair seem to mesh well together as a strike partnership I have had a feeling that Riis and Maguire might prove an effective double-act - I thought we saw signs of that after Riis came on against Coventry. Yes I know Maguire hassled and harried in the last match to set up the chance that Johnson put away and stuck out his foot to score the second but there have been rather more occasions this season at our place when he has just not been able to make an impact when asked to play upfront by himself. But I daresay he will start and no-one will be more pleased than me if he bags a brace by half-time.
Nope!!
Has anyone realised since Gally's mini comeback of starting games, we've actually won them?!!
He's not been at his best in any of them to be fair but if teams are having building up a head of steam against us, he can simply take the pressure off by turning the opposition round with clever quality passes. Don't get me wrong, Ledson can do this too but at the moment, with this little run that we are on, I just feel safer with his experience an technique. Yeah, he's not lasting games but if he's fit enough, he starts for me, home an away. We are winning games