Sir Tom Finney

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
He lived the dream.
Good childhood.
Good footballer.
6 years a warrior, defeated world fascism.
Great footballer.
Married his sweetheart.
Lived in Preston.
Regular trips to London and around Europe playing football.
Invited to dinner every day of his retired life.
Loved by everyone in his entire town.
Retired with his sweetheart.
Watched North End.
He lived a dream.
Your hero and mine.
Tom.

My only regret of being a Northender is never seeing Sir Tom play!
I have heard all the superb stories and all the attributes of the man, but would have loved to see him play.
What a man, what a player and PNE will never see another like him, the great Sir Tom!!!

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Ha. In full voice, I sang happy birthday Tom in the shower this morning. Looks like I got that wrong!

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm going to need a team to follow in NI when I move over there before too long.

Distillery was my first thought of course (unlikely to be Linfield with Healy still in charge...).

They're a long way off the European Cup and Benfica nowadays. Third tier and play at a dog track outside Lisburn.

Nickname is the Whites, appropriately.

I shall pay them a visit for sure.

royribble

Forum Patron
Patron
I too had the privilege of seeing this legend of the game play. Lets do him justice tomorrow and stuff Milwall.

The abiding memory of Willie Cunningham's testimonial is, whenever N.E. had the ball the crowd shouted (bearing in mind he had been retired for two or three years) "GIVE IT TO TOMMY". Many on that game had gone there just to see him play again.

Realistic

Manager
A close relative of mine (now long deceased) used to play in the street with Tommy Finney (Sir Tom of course) around Holme Slack. He (my relative)was a good (amateur) player, very knowledgeable about all things sporting. Always said Finney, even when he (Finney) was just a kid, was truly exceptional.

Many of us know how accessible (to talk to) and modest he was when he was walking through Preston town centre or around Plungington. Had a great chat with him early 2000's just on a street corner and he remembered my relative. I couldn't believe I was actually stood there talking to the greatest footballer that ever walked onto a football pitch. It's a cliché but I had to pinch myself.

Not only that, he was a complete gentleman. My Dad (long since deceased) watched him right from the beginning and was always adamant that Finney was the best he'd ever seen. Unbelievable, sensational, it was one superlative after another. I used to ask him because I (obviously) thought, George Best was the bee's knees. "Was he really that good or are you exaggerating?"

"No, he was that good!"

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Both Bill Shankly and my Dad agreed he was the greatest ever, too young to ever see him play, but if they both stated that, then it's good enough for me.
The Greatest.,👍🏻😀⚽

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner
I too had the privilege of seeing this legend of the game play. Lets do him justice tomorrow and stuff Milwall.

The abiding memory of Willie Cunningham's testimonial is, whenever N.E. had the ball the crowd shouted (bearing in mind he had been retired for two or three years) "GIVE IT TO TOMMY". Many on that game had gone there just to see him play again.
We have another Tommy playing on the right and other attacking positions.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Met Eric Jones once. At North end in the same position as Finney so got very little chance to play for us.
Not a single bad word to say about the great man
Said he used to gamble and play cards on the way up to away games. Finney never failed to collect what he was owed, but not because he was mercenary, but because he wanted to teach the younger players the importance of money and of paying your debts.

A proper gent

Realistic

Manager
Met Eric Jones once. At North end in the same position as Finney so got very little chance to play for us.
Not a single bad word to say about the great man
Said he used to gamble and play cards on the way up to away games. Finney never failed to collect what he was owed, but not because he was mercenary, but because he wanted to teach the younger players the importance of money and of paying your debts.

A proper gent
Yeah, he was careful with money, but they didn't earn a fortune then, did they. He was only very comfortable later in life. The likes of Ryan Giggs and Rooney with their 50 million pound fortunes and cupboards full of trophies are not fit to tie Finney's boot laces.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Yeah, he was careful with money, but they didn't earn a fortune then, did they. He was only very comfortable later in life. The likes of Ryan Giggs and Rooney with their 50 million pound fortunes and cupboards full of trophies are not fit to tie Finney's boot laces.
Jones told me he asked him what he thought about the wages players earned today.
Finney’s response?
“Eric, if I offered you 150 pound a week when you were playing, would you have taken it?”

Chartley

Forum Patron
Patron
Watching the video one thing that struck me was how weighted his passes and crosses were ... so many players nowadays hit the ball so hard, whereas Sir Tom floated it to the right position. Legend.