Sir Tom Finney

RVW

Manager
£

Article I have seen was that he was on £12 a week at pne

Palermo wanted to make it £120. Plus the £10,000
In Finney's own words in a book I have he was approached by the owner of Palermo Prince di Tribia in 1952 after playing for England v Italy in Florence. The offer originally was a signing on fee of 7,000 pounds, but was upped to 10,000 pounds when Tom was so shocked that he didn't answer the prince :). Wages were 130 pounds per month, with up to a further bonus of 100 pounds per month depending upon results I guess.
Also included in the deal was a Mediterranean villa, a new car, and free travel from UK to Italy for Tom and his family.
Not knowing how the system worked, the Prince was going to offer a sum of money to PNE to loan Tom for two years, or if preferred, he would offer 30,000 pounds for a full transfer from Preston to Palermo. It is pretty obvious the way Tom writes the story that he would have gone, but North End wanted nothing to do with this situation, and Tom basically was forced to stay at Deepdale.
7 or 8 years later, a change to the whole system of clubs having full power over players was started to be overturned when George Eastham demanded to be let go from Newcastle United to play for Arsenal. Too late for Tom of course by then, but on reflection, he had the opportunity with the offer from Palermo to maybe undo the system then. I wonder what would North End have done had Tom said that regardless of their attitude, he was going to Italy?

This story would make an interesting film, the story of one of the world's best footballers (apparently on 12 pounds per week) was more or less held captive by his local team when offers of financial security were available to him elsewhere. Not long after the George Eastham affair, Tommy Trinder the then chairman of Fulham made Johnny Haynes the first 100 pounds per week footballer, and the floodgates began to open, and now we have...……...the Premiership :rolleyes: .

royribble

Forum Patron
Patron
We have another Tommy playing on the right and other attacking positions.
I know Kathryn and whenever he gets the ball I can't help but say "go on Tommy" and when I do the memory of the crowd shouting it all those years ago comes back to me instantly. :love:

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
Tom Finney played his last game for North End just under 9 months before I was born. It's possible I was conceived on that very day. :cool:

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
£

Article I have seen was that he was on £12 a week at pne

Palermo wanted to make it £120. Plus the £10,000
And no one could have blamed him for jumping ship for 10 x the salary.
Would Ben Pearson stay if a Premier league club offered him £150k/week.
I think not.

Not saying the two players are comparable by the way before I get verbally battered.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
I'm going to need a team to follow in NI when I move over there before too long.

Distillery was my first thought of course (unlikely to be Linfield with Healy still in charge...).

They're a long way off the European Cup and Benfica nowadays. Third tier and play at a dog track outside Lisburn.

Nickname is the Whites, appropriately.

I shall pay them a visit for sure.
Sir Tom played for Distillery:

After a three and half year absence and at the age of 41, Tom Finney had officially made his return to football in September 1963.
In front of a 20,000 strong crowd at Windsor Park in Belfast, Tom Finney sported the white strip of Distillery, the same colour that he had famously worn for Preston North End and England many occasions previously.

The full article: http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2013/2/15/tom-finneys-european-adventure

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
A close relative of mine (now long deceased) used to play in the street with Tommy Finney (Sir Tom of course) around Holme Slack. He (my relative)was a good (amateur) player, very knowledgeable about all things sporting. Always said Finney, even when he (Finney) was just a kid, was truly exceptional.

Many of us know how accessible (to talk to) and modest he was when he was walking through Preston town centre or around Plungington. Had a great chat with him early 2000's just on a street corner and he remembered my relative. I couldn't believe I was actually stood there talking to the greatest footballer that ever walked onto a football pitch. It's a cliché but I had to pinch myself.

Not only that, he was a complete gentleman. My Dad (long since deceased) watched him right from the beginning and was always adamant that Finney was the best he'd ever seen. Unbelievable, sensational, it was one superlative after another. I used to ask him because I (obviously) thought, George Best was the bee's knees. "Was he really that good or are you exaggerating?"

"No, he was that good!"
Absolutely. In my opinion, although Pele, Maradonna and Best came close to him, Tom definitely was the greatest.

northender1881

Advisor to the Owner
Sadly I am not old enough to have seen Finney play, heck he was retired 27 years prior to me even being born, but being an avid Northender I am no stranger to tales of his sublime skill.

Would be amazing to see someone of his talent and generation have a game today. I wonder how they would be able to utilise the perfect pitches, lighter footballs, kits & boots and lack of shuddering tackles that are no afforded by the ever stricker rules.

By the same token, as much as Ronaldo & Messi are amazing players today, how would they have fared in a wet soggy mud-bath of a pitch away at Burnley or somewhere in 1954, with a wet, heavy ball to kick around and cumbersome boots to play in, whilst getting absolutely smashed by opposition players? I can’t imagine there would be enough pitch for Ronaldo to roll around on frankly.

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
Sadly I am not old enough to have seen Finney play, heck he was retired 27 years prior to me even being born, but being an avid Northender I am no stranger to tales of his sublime skill.

Would be amazing to see someone of his talent and generation have a game today. I wonder how they would be able to utilise the perfect pitches, lighter footballs, kits & boots and lack of shuddering tackles that are no afforded by the ever stricker rules.

By the same token, as much as Ronaldo & Messi are amazing players today, how would they have fared in a wet soggy mud-bath of a pitch away at Burnley or somewhere in 1954, with a wet, heavy ball to kick around and cumbersome boots to play in, whilst getting absolutely smashed by opposition players? I can’t imagine there would be enough pitch for Ronaldo to roll around on frankly.
As Bill Shankly said when he was Liverpool manager when someone asked him to compare Finney and Keegan who at the time was one of the best players in the world.

Reporter. "Well Mr Shankly, who would you say was the better player. Tom Finney or Kevin Keegan"

Shankly. "I'd say they're about the same"

Reporter. "Really "

Shankly. "Aye, but you have to remember Tom's 65."

Madferret

Manager
Yeah, he was careful with money, but they didn't earn a fortune then, did they. He was only very comfortable later in life. The likes of Ryan Giggs and Rooney with their 50 million pound fortunes and cupboards full of trophies are not fit to tie Finney's boot laces.
Different era pal.