PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Sky Sports sackings

Albeit reluctantly I have to agree. It should be best person for any given job regardless of colour, creed or gender.

But then when a woman or black person gets it they get accused of virtue signalling.

Alex Scott and Micah Richards are great candidates to be replacements.

It should. So why until now has it always been middle aged men ?
Sometimes you have to force change
I suppose middle aged men are more likely to have had full careers in the game and possibly stints in coaching or management Edgy, thus giving them the advantage of experience in their punditry. I suppose it's why new Popes are always old codgers!

I suppose middle aged men are more likely to have had full careers in the game and possibly stints in coaching or management Edgy, thus giving them the advantage of experience in their punditry. I suppose it's why new Popes are always old codgers!
Certainly an interesting comparison...

But then when a woman or black person gets it they get accused of virtue signalling.

Alex Scott and Micah Richards are great candidates to be replacements.

Im not going to claim to be an expert, and I barely know either of those people I tend not to listen to commentaries to be fair, but if they are the best people for the job so be it, time will prove their worth nothing else will.

I think that in a public facing job like this, I don’t think it has to be the “ very best” individual. As unfair as it can be, it should be the individual who is “the very best person for the role” and there is a difference.

A personal example. I like that my daughter, now often has role models in sport - which didn’t used to be the case. Even if there might be men who might be a somewhat better commentator/reporter/pundit. As long as the woman is competent, then it’s good she’s on the screen.

Don’t believe it I’m afraid
I’ve met many a very educated and informed people in my life who have never even played a particular sport for numerous reasons who could knock spots of alleged experts
It’s all been a rather closed shop for all too long for me and I am really glad we are seeing change
Change is good

Im not going to claim to be an expert, and I barely know either of those people I tend not to listen to commentaries to be fair, but if they are the best people for the job so be it, time will prove their worth nothing else will.
But joan. From a distance and with all the stereotypes we see and all too readily accept
the loud and rather shouty bloke on the match will know far more than a humble, quiet and educated lady like you would ever know !!!!!!!!! (Said with tongue in cheek)

yes I see your point too But maybe the powers that be believed they were the best for certain jobs at the time. Change does need to take place but fairly otherwise we are simply swapping one injustice for another.

Its an interesting debate. The benchmark is so low however and I still long for the day when the programme starts one minute before kick off and we are allowed to watch without commentary and just the crowd noise. I get so little benefit from any commentary or pundit but a barrow load of annoyance. Signed My Grumpy. Ps . I dont mind Lee Dixon by exception and Dion to virtue signal towards the Mersey. Other than that they are all interchangeable shite.

But joan. From a distance and with all the stereotypes we see and all too readily accept
the loud and rather shouty bloke on the match will know far more than a humble, quiet and educated lady like you would ever know !!!!!!!!! (Said with tongue in cheek)

the loud and shouty bloke probably would be more technically knowledgeable edgy. I’m a Preston fan, that doesn’t give me expert status. All I know is sometimes we are brilliant and other times not so good (shite actually). Being brutally honest I don’t give a flying fig what Matt Le Tissier or anyone else who isn’t a north end fan thinks. In general I don’t care who does what job so long as they are the most competent, fair and articulate in that role.

The banter between Jeff & the rest is a draw for the majority of watchers of Soccer Saturday. People just reading off football scores is incredibly dull, needed this lot to make it entertaining.

Micah Richards has been entertaining in the few times Ive seen him on Sky Sports, Alex Scott is average & Clinton Morrison is pure shit.

Finally someone who understands

I fully understand the point he's making. I completely disagree with his way of changing it. It seems people can't see that forcing people's hands simply causes further resentment. The majority of people are decent folk. The majority of people don't care if the pundit on Soccer Saturday is gay, religious, a woman, BAME, etc etc. They just want decent coverage of the games.

Maybe, if you looked at applications for the role, you would see a different outcome?

Maybe, if you looked at the amount of black footballers leaving football after their career, you would find an answer?

Maybe, its not always racism.

Have you got a problem with middle aged men? Do you not think middle aged men who have played the game to an exceptional level have a valued input? Do you think people who have played the game to a lesser extent are respected as highly?

Or do you think this is simply just a case of bigotry and it must be solved?

Can you tell me the last time a person was denied a job due to the colour of their skin in this country?