PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Snooker

Ive not enjoyed a tournament as much as this one for a long time. Fascinating and good coverage of some players not previously given much of the limelight. Good to have Bristolian tones in the commentary as well.
Agreed. It’s been good- although both semifinals were won by the player I didn’t favour. Probably want Selby to win tonight.

Out of nowhere, at 13-17 down, Sean Murphy suddenly looking unbelievable... but I think he go overconfident... and surely Selby will clear up now. Just the colours needed for the world title. Shame, because it was getting interesting!

Got to say, Sean Murphy came across so well in his runner-up speech. In the past, I've found him a bit of a knob... but he seems to have (in my view) matured well.
Aye, I'm looking forward to that new 'Gods of snooker' documentary that is on next week.

Got to say, Sean Murphy came across so well in his runner-up speech. In the past, I've found him a bit of a knob... but he seems to have (in my view) matured well.
I've never particularly liked him since he claimed a frame against Stephen Maguire because Maguire forgot to pick his chalk up from his dressing room so had to go back for it. Whilst he was entitled to do it, it's not a way I would want to win a frame. But like you, I thought he spoke very well and I've enjoyed watching him play throughout this tournament. Especially his interaction with the fans.

Excellent contest. Selby can be a bit difficult to watch but I thought the commentators demonised him overly. In todays media, it was borderline to slandering his image. When really he just plays the game very traditionally and is strategic and risk averse
I enjoy watching Selby play. He's got it all which is why he can call himself a 4 time world champion. He can pot with the best of them, but when his opponent has the upper hand he can slow a game down and knock them off their stride. Stuart Bingham made me laugh when he criticised him for being slow during their match and yet they had identical average shot times.

I suppose he is snookers equivalent of test match cricket, whereas your Judd's are more akin to T20.

I enjoy watching Selby play. He's got it all which is why he can call himself a 4 time world champion. He can pot with the best of them, but when his opponent has the upper hand he can slow a game down and knock them off their stride. Stuart Bingham made me laugh when he criticised him for being slow during their match and yet they had identical average shot times.

I suppose he is snookers equivalent of test match cricket, whereas your Judd's are more akin to T20.

I think Trump can play both styles at the highest level to be fair.

I really have no problem watching him play. When I am in snooker mode, I am in a pretty relaxed state and it’s all part of the journey.

But as you say, he sometimes plays to knock opponents off their stride - including clear gamesmanship with strategic slow play at key moments IMO. I did read that Selby was warned for slow play, which tells a story.
Bingham had a strong point - I think Selby latched onto a fortunate statistic (both had 28s average shot times) to try to avoid blame!

I really have no problem watching him play. When I am in snooker mode, I am in a pretty relaxed state and it’s all part of the journey.

But as you say, he sometimes plays to knock opponents off their stride - including clear gamesmanship with strategic slow play at key moments IMO. I did read that Selby was warned for slow play, which tells a story.
Bingham had a strong point - I think Selby latched onto a fortunate statistic (both had 28s average shot times) to try to avoid blame!
In fairness you could argue that Bingham was the slower player of the two, because he made reference to Selby taking 3 minutes for a shot then rolling in to the pack. So for Bingham to average 28 seconds without noticeable thinking time would suggest he was the consistently slower of the two.

He's certainly no Peter Ebdon!

I think Trump can play both styles at the highest level to be fair.
Judd's technical side has certainly improved in the last 12-18 months that's for sure and is the reason he is now world number one. Go back 2 or 3 years and he was just an all out attacking player.

I'd never played snooker on a 'proper' table until I was probably in my 20s, and haven't done for years since then. I think my highest ever break on one is about 11. Or it might have been 13 but that would have just been for potting pink and black at the end.

I'm no snooker expert but the standard of play these days is just incredible. I know Ronnie O'Sullivan has said recently the standard isn't that great outside the top 20 or so, but the likes of Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry seem happy to accept that they would have struggled to dominate like they did against these players.

I've never particularly liked him since he claimed a frame against Stephen Maguire because Maguire forgot to pick his chalk up from his dressing room so had to go back for it. Whilst he was entitled to do it, it's not a way I would want to win a frame. But like you, I thought he spoke very well and I've enjoyed watching him play throughout this tournament. Especially his interaction with the fans.
Murphy's version of the story:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/19/shau...nt-with-stephen-maguire-17-years-on-14109516/

You'd think they could at least put a block of chalk on a string attached to the table like the rest of us have to do!!!!!
To be honest, when the prize money at stake can be the difference between financially securing your children's futures or paying off your mortgage, I'm not surprised this sort of thing goes on sometimes.

That’s really interesting - even though I didn’t remember the chalk incident. If he’s had so much grief about it, and been troubled by it, it begs the question why he didn’t tell his side of the story until 17 years later?!
Interesting snippets about his personal life and childhood in there.
I thought exactly that! Why not come out publicly and give your version of the story straight away?

Have to say Ken Doherty's Irish brogue is a most wonderful thing on BBC2 and a welcome relief from the madness on 1. Could drop off and imagine dancing on the Giants Causeway.