PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

So 60 years on?

Final Stand

Catchy book title, who was the author?
Patron
From when we were last in the top flight the 1960/61 season. (please see final table attached/below).

How many of these clubs have since failed to return to the top flight?

9A84C8C5-6EF3-44BC-BB9A-225A0CB19199.jpeg

Three teams scored over 100 goals in a 42 game season.

Newcastle conceded 38 goals more than us... but it was us that went down!

I remember it - sadly😔

To make things worse, Blackpool just survived.

Amazingly, 60 years on, all but 2 of those teams are still in the top two divisions, with 12 still in the top division.

Last edited:
Elite thicko status for me there. I saw the grey line just above us and thought 'Oh... I never realised only one went down'. Derrr.

You're not a thicko. You're just too young to remember that sad season 😉.

I attended at least four of the games at Deepdale that season. I remember we won one of them - West Ham.

Worth noting (or perhaps best not to) that in 1960/61, Wigan Athletic finished 3rd in the Lancashire Combination Div 1. 44 years on, they were beginning an 8 season residency in the Premier League and would have an FA Cup Final win to come a few years later.

It was when perennial no hopers Brighton waltzed into Deepdale and walked away with Mark Lawrenson and Gary Williams that really pissed me off.

Now some 40 years later they have been to Hell and back, no money, no hope and playing on a hockey pitch and all of a sudden there they are looking down on us again.

I’m 75 now, was taken on my first game aged 7 to see my then hero Charlie Wayman, little did I know what was ahead of me. :(

I wonder what odds the bookies would give of me seeing them play in the top league again?

Firkin hell, this could be the most depressing thread ever. 😂

Three teams scored over 100 goals in a 42 game season.

Newcastle conceded 38 goals more than us... but it was us that went down!
We also scored half as many goals as Newcastle, easily the lowest scorers in the league.

Even back then, we were missing that elusive 30-goal-a-season striker.

Stunning isn’t it, when people say we are impatient or too demanding or unrealistic or whatever.

I think there have been around 60 different clubs in the top flight since then.
Ridsdale's new argument seems to be, because we've not been up there for 60 years, we have no history of being up there, so we should stop expecting it to happen, and get fully behind his mid-table mediocrity project instead.

Meanwhile, here's a few records we currently hold:

Longest absence from the top flight for a current league club
Biggest club never to have played in the Premier League, according to HITC
Least likely Championship club to "do a Brentford", according to Football365

It was when perennial no hopers Brighton waltzed into Deepdale and walked away with Mark Lawrenson and Gary Williams that really pissed me off.

Now some 40 years later they have been to Hell and back, no money, no hope and playing on a hockey pitch and all of a sudden there they are looking down on us again.

I’m 75 now, was taken on my first game aged 7 to see my then hero Charlie Wayman, little did I know what was ahead of me. :(

I wonder what odds the bookies would give of me seeing them play in the top league again?

Firkin hell, this could be the most depressing thread ever. 😂
At least you have seen us play in the top Division of English football Walton, more than many of us have and probably will. 👍😀

We also scored half as many goals as Newcastle, easily the lowest scorers in the league.

Even back then, we were missing that elusive 30-goal-a-season striker.

We ended that season playing a right half, Dave Barber, at centre forward. He scored one or two but obviously not enough.