PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Southgate

We are a lot weaker in the middle of the park, no denying that. Our attacking options absolutely piss all over theirs though. It’s frightening how good we are in that department. This was my gripe with Southgate in the Euros, he didn’t play to our strengths enough.

He has improved, I’ve previously posted he did an excellent job getting the nation behind the team and transitioning from the “names” to the current crop. He just doesn’t seem to learn in-game. It’s cost us in both the Croatia and Italy games, the other night was baffling as you say.

I think the previous performances of other generations is leant on too much. What have Sven, Capello etc got to do with the current squad and Southgate?

It feels like in this country, the narrative is that we’ve been knocked out in group stages, second rounds so anything beyond that is progression, so Southgate has done brilliantly. But if you look at it in isolation, we’ve qualified from a group with Belgium, Tunisia and Panama in it, then knocked and Colombia and Sweden. No overachievement there.

We then qualified from a group with Croatia, Czech Republic and Scotland, then knocked out Germany, Ukraine and Denmark. Again, no overachievement there (it can be argued Germany was, but as I’ve said, they are pretty weak these days and people just think of the previous German teams).

If we hadn’t got that far in either tournament, it’d have been a failure tbh. So I think he’s done alright, and understand why he gets praised. I also get the criticism. I’m not advocating getting rid of him but I think he does need questioning a bit.

2 years before the 2018 World Cup we lost to Iceland which is probably the worst moment in English national football team history. I don’t care who we ‘played.’ People seem to have this fixtation about ‘easy run ins.’ I don’t get it. This isn’t an fa cup game against a lower league side. It’s international football and who ever we play especially in the knock out stages will be a tough game.

There is no guarantee in international football: the 2002 World Cup, Greece beating Portugal, Iceland beating us, swiz beating France, World Cup holders Spain and Germany getting knocked out the group.

People keep on bringing up what’s gone before because it was dreadful. It’s like when Alex Neil got sacked and Frankie came in and all of a sudden the place just changed. He is the second best England manager in history. Regardless what you say about ‘easy run ins’ that is true. His big game management does need to improve but as mentioned before not one person can argue that they haven’t had the best two summers supporting England since 96.

2 years before the 2018 World Cup we lost to Iceland which is probably the worst moment in English national football team history. I don’t care who we ‘played.’ People seem to have this fixtation about ‘easy run ins.’ I don’t get it. This isn’t an fa cup game against a lower league side. It’s international football and who ever we play especially in the knock out stages will be a tough game.

There is no guarantee in international football: the 2002 World Cup, Greece beating Portugal, Iceland beating us, swiz beating France, World Cup holders Spain and Germany getting knocked out the group.

People keep on bringing up what’s gone before because it was dreadful. It’s like when Alex Neil got sacked and Frankie came in and all of a sudden the place just changed. He is the second best England manager in history. Regardless what you say about ‘easy run ins’ that is true. His big game management does need to improve but as mentioned before not one person can argue that they haven’t had the best two summers supporting England since 96.
Southgates done a decent job,I just don't think he's a top manager,Italy didn't even qualify for the 2018 World Cup,Mancini took over,went on an unbelievable run and won the euros,that's what a Proven top manager can do,this England squad is as strong as we've ever had,yet I can't see us winning anything with Southgate in charge,I think weel always fall short

People keep on bringing up what’s gone before because it was dreadful. It’s like when Alex Neil got sacked and Frankie came in and all of a sudden the place just changed. He is the second best England manager in history. Regardless what you say about ‘easy run ins’ that is true. His big game management does need to improve but as mentioned before not one person can argue that they haven’t had the best two summers supporting England since 96
Remember when we had the 'EASY' group in 2010? England, Algeria, Slovenia, Yanks. We finished 2nd behind America winning 1 game and were knocked out the following round.

I quite enjoy qualifying from groups with a game to go, and winning games we're expected to win. Of course I want us to finally win a 2nd major trophy, and Southgate can improve. But we're in the best position in my lifetime. Plenty of young talent with time to improve, and senior players probably still at their peak for the next 2 tournaments.

Southgates done a decent job,I just don't think he's a top manager,Italy didn't even qualify for the 2018 World Cup,Mancini took over,went on an unbelievable run and won the euros,that's what a Proven top manager can do,this England squad is as strong as we've ever had,yet I can't see us winning anything with Southgate in charge,I think weel always fall short
Which proven manager who has won multiple Serie A titles and a Premier League title wants the England job right now?

People aren't saying Southgate is a fantastic manager. People like me are saying he's the best person for the job who actually want the job. Suggestions of likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Pep, Howe are either poor, or just not serious candidates. Gerrard is just at the start of his club management career for example.

Credit where credit is due.
Semi final of the World cup and final of the euros.
On paper, the best manager England have had since '66 and yet some still seem reluctant to or find it hard to accept it.
Baffling!

Which proven manager who has won multiple Serie A titles and a Premier League title wants the England job right now?

People aren't saying Southgate is a fantastic manager. People like me are saying he's the best person for the job who actually want the job. Suggestions of likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Pep, Howe are either poor, or just not serious candidates. Gerrard is just at the start of his club management career for example.
I'm happy for Southgate to still be in charge for the upcoming world cup,I just think we've got an unbelievable squad with more strength in depth than any other England squad I've seen,yet I think ultimately weel fall short with Southgate in charge,I'm not sure if he would take it but I think Brendan Rodgers would be a decent shout for next England manager

I'm happy for Southgate to still be in charge for the upcoming world cup,I just think we've got an unbelievable squad with more strength in depth than any other England squad I've seen,yet I think ultimately weel fall short with Southgate in charge,I'm not sure if he would take it but I think Brendan Rodgers would be a decent shout for next England manager
I'd love Rodgers, but he's not leaving Leicester anytime soon unless a big club comes in for him.

I think at international level we are weaker in some positions than the best nations still, but stronger in others. There are better keepers than Pickford, better centre backs than Maguire and Stones (certainly better than our back ups in Mings, Coady etc), better centre midfielders than Rice and Phillips.

I'd love Rodgers, but he's not leaving Leicester anytime soon unless a big club comes in for him.

I think at international level we are weaker in some positions than the best nations still, but stronger in others. There are better keepers than Pickford, better centre backs than Maguire and Stones (certainly better than our back ups in Mings, Coady etc), better centre midfielders than Rice and Phillips.
So basically, we're all getting carried away.🤣

He's been at Liverpool and did ok imo.
He's a better option than OLG at United.
Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel are elite. Apart from the latter three, he's as good as there is in the Premier league.
Utd or Arsenal should be looking at this guy.

After nearly sixty years of hurt I'm just happy getting to semis and finals of tournaments at the moment. Call me easily pleased. I think Southgate will go after the next World Cup anyway. If we flop, he'll walk or be replaced, if we win it, his stock as a World Cup winner will be higher than ever and would ensure he could walk into a top job.

After nearly sixty years of hurt I'm just happy getting to semis and finals of tournaments at the moment. Call me easily pleased. I think Southgate will go after the next World Cup anyway. If we flop, he'll walk or be replaced, if we win it, his stock as a World Cup winner will be higher than ever and would ensure he could walk into a top job.
Hi Easily Pleased.

He's been at Liverpool and did ok imo.
He's a better option than OLG at United.
Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel are elite. Apart from the latter three, he's as good as there is in the Premier league.
Utd or Arsenal should be looking at this guy.
Man United would have won the Europa League if Rodgers was in charge. He's a top coach.

Great news....imo. And after Critch last Friday, Christmas has indeed come early.. 🙂 👏🍊 🌹

Boring manager = boring to watch.
Taken a young unfancied squad to a World Cup semi and Euro's Final. The fact we played shyte in both is fairly irrelevant...imo. Best record of any England manager since Ramsey, despite virtually all the others having one or two internationally renowned 'superstars' at their disposal, whereas Southgate hasn't had that. Suggests to me that he's got summat right...and England aren't too far away🤷‍♂️

Taken a young unfancied squad to a World Cup semi and Euro's Final. The fact we played shyte in both is fairly irrelevant...imo. Best record of any England manager since Ramsey, despite virtually all the others having one or two internationally renowned 'superstars' at their disposal, whereas Southgate hasn't had that. Suggests to me that he's got summat right...and England aren't too far away🤷‍♂️

Just like '66 and '96, home advantage for the big games was the real key in '20(1)

Robson was the best manager.

Just like '66 and '96, home advantage for the big games was the real key in '20(1)

Robson had Gascoigne and Lineker at his disposal, who were world renowned then. OK we should've beaten the German's and were just unlucky(imo), but we got mullared by Belgium, and only a very late Platt wonder goal from out of the blue got us through that one. And against Cameroon the game could have gone either way🤷‍♂️. So no I don't think Robson was any better than Southgate tbh...

And we were absolute shyte in '86 until injury and suspension forced his hand! Wilkins getting suspended and Bryan Robson trotting around with a sling on FFS! 🙄 That doesn't make Bobby Robson a great manager alone! 😏. Mind you we were unlucky again when that horrible drug taking little fat bastard cheated us out of a rightful semi place that year...

Southgate’s record as England manager is vastly superior to Robson’s.

England lost every game at Euro 88 under Sir Bobby and didn’t even qualify for ‘84.