PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Stabbing at Runshaw College.

I was caned several times at secondary school but it was almost always for smoking rather than anything violent. They used to make you take a letter home that day informing your parents you were being caned the next morning. Obviously I never used to show this letter to my dad but the advantage of 24 hours notice was that the nex morning you would put on about six pairs of undies, tracky pants etc under your school trousers then take the option of four on the arse rather than two on each hand. Two on each hand absolutely wrecked, especially in winter when your hands were cold.

I was caned several times at secondary school but it was almost always for smoking rather than anything violent. They used to make you take a letter home that day informing your parents you were being caned the next morning. Obviously I never used to show this letter to my dad but the advantage of 24 hours notice was that the nex morning you would put on about six pairs of undies, tracky pants etc under your school trousers then take the option of four on the arse rather than two on each hand. Two on each hand absolutely wrecked, especially in winter when your hands were cold.

Mike Harding told the tale whereby he was told on Friday that he would be caned on Monday so it ruined his weekend.

And there lies the problem.

Once corporal punishment is legitimised we loose control of its delivery. Back in the 70 s some of the teachers at our Secondary Modern were borderline psychotic bullies- any excuse to dish out a beating.

I ve seen totally innocent kids take a whack and one particular female teacher used to physically punish kids for not eating every scrap of their school dinner - god help you if you landed on her table at dinner time ( we used to calculate the queue numbers to avoid this).

One kid was taken back to her office for a punishment despite eating most of the carrots ( which he detested) and he puked the lot up all over the bitch.

Rumour had it she was kicked out of the Gestapo for cruelty - nasty piece of work.

I did say there were drawbacks to corporal punishment - and this is a key one. Good point

I did say there were drawbacks to corporal punishment - and this is a key one. Good point

Being of a certain vintage and “ it didn’t do me any harm “ generation , there remains a whiff of medieval paganism in seeing any child beaten by an adult. ( posters know I’m far from a snowflake! ).

It was the fear and humiliation that acted as a deterrent for me personally - and the fact I hadn’t been savvy enough by getting caught.

So what deterrent ? The wider perception is that perpetrators are dealt with lightly , that’s not an unreasonable assumption. It appears that restorative justice is actually yielding some very positive results- I remain sceptical but would be happily proved wrong.

Funding would help to give the youth of the day something to stimulate them out in society but in parallel with this we need parents to be just that parents and to stop treating their kids as mates or 'grown ups' when they clearly are not ready for it.

Funding would help to give the youth of the day something to stimulate them out in society but in parallel with this we need parents to be just that parents and to stop treating their kids as mates or 'grown ups' when they clearly are not ready for it.
Sadly there are many that dont even treat them that way. Totally left to their own devices completely.

Sadly there are many that dont even treat them that way. Totally left to their own devices completely.
Yep both observations at either side of the spectrum but totally valid, all part of the erosion of the very fabric that binds society together.

Once upon a time people grew with a bit of backbone and instilled this into their kids and ensured that they knew right from wrong, not any more.