PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Stockley and Moult

Alpine White

Patron
I was so upset with Stockley only getting a few minutes against Bristol City, that I started wondering what the point is. Louis Moult is currently out, but when he's back, which one of these two will only rarely get a few minutes?

I honestly don't get it. If your centre forward target man doesn't get much of a look in during a home game which you really need to win, why bother having him at all?

But we seem to have got two in that category, which is surely a luxury we cannot afford.

Someone please tell me what logic they see in this.

All 3 will play plenty of minutes up front. People seem to moan when players aren't getting minutes then also moan that our squad isn't big enough when we get injuries and suspensions. It's a squad game and so everyone will at some point get their chance and at other times be left out. This is especially true up front where we have no one front man good enough to pull apart any defence in the league but a variety who can play different roles against different defences, and probably our best striker, Maguire, is injury prone and likely to regularly miss games.

All 3 will play plenty of minutes up front. People seem to moan when players aren't getting minutes then also moan that our squad isn't big enough when we get injuries and suspensions. It's a squad game and so everyone will at some point get their chance and at other times be left out. This is especially true up front where we have no one front man good enough to pull apart any defence in the league but a variety who can play different roles against different defences, and probably our best striker, Maguire, is injury prone and likely to regularly miss games.
This makes sense. I just got frustrated seeing Stockley wanting to get on and hardly being given a chance.

I think you've actually hit the nail on the head. Forget injuries to Robinson, Harrop, Bodin etc... our real problem this season is that our two best players, Maguire and Pearson just can't be relied upon to paly enough games

Maguire can of course also be used in the 3 - in the centre of it as well as on either side. That leaves plenty of opportunity for Stockley and Moult upfront.

I really want Stockley to be a success and coming on with a few minutes to go is difficult to make an impression. Alex Neil is the main man to decide the structure of the team and if he decides to be more fluid with Maguire s pace up front then I’m happy to go along with that. Having Stockley and Maguire with 2 wingers was certainly more exciting but left us more open to a breakaway and the manager had to weigh up the pros and cons of making changes. It’s great to have the options of all our current forwards.

It seems to be if Maguire is fit he starts regardless of opposition or how the match is expected to play out. That isn't the ideal place to be really, we need 3 strikers who can all play when called upon or when the situation dictates. Of course if someone is banging them in every week that might change.

I'd just like to see us have a real go sometimes at home for the last 30 minutes with 2 or 3 trying to get off Stockley knock downs or flick ons. You could argue Neil 'goes for it' in other ways and what he did on Saturday should have brought the winner with Brownes header but as soon as you see who is about to come on as sub I'd say 99/100 you can guess who he's going to take off and you'll be right....

Lad said to me on Saturday Nmecha has to play so many minutes under the loan agreement we have with City.

Could explain why the lummox keeps coming on before Stockley.

Lad said to me on Saturday Nmecha has to play so many minutes under the loan agreement we have with City.

The lummox who looked more dangerous in his short cameo, than anyone else did all game. Stockley doesn't look very mobile to me, Nmecha should always come on before him in my opinion, unless of course we are just going to launch balls in to the box

You mean the lummox who offered more attacking threat than any of our other strikers put together all game?

You joking? He scared them shitless on Saturday.

I don't believe the minutes thing for a second, or else he would still be starting games.

You mean the lummox who offered more attacking threat than any of our other strikers put together all game?

Exactly, unbelievable the stick this guy gets.

You joking? He scared them shitless on Saturday.

I don't believe the minutes thing for a second, or else he would still be starting games.

Exactly, unbelievable the stick this guy gets.

Aye, though he's probably played more minutes already then we probably expected him to! He probably have enough 'credit' to sit on the bench for the rest of the season.

It's mainly due to the fact he came from City... Has to be. We all know people make their minds up on players, usually after 2 games, and then refuse to change it because that way they'd be wrong.

Sadly it doesn't to me look like Stockley is up to it at this level. Hope I'm wrong though.

Really? Or are you judging him on cameo minutes.

Played well every time i've seen him.

I agree, more to come yet but I think he's a decent addition. But I want to see him used in games when he should be used, the problem is I'm not sure Neil will pick him over Maguire.

+1. Think he's been harshly treated the lack of minutes he's had.

Not sure about that, don't know why Neil would disrupt a successful system unless he's forced to, which has now happened with Pearson's suspension.

9 unbeaten, on course for 5 away wins in a row, no one has really deserved to lose their place.

Even though we paid decent money for him (by our standards), Maguire is clearly first choice.

Stockley needs to lose half a stone. Pace isn't his asset but he could be a bit more mobile if a touch lighter imo.

I would like to see Maguire and Moult in the same team, this has so much potential.

Not sure about that, don't know why Neil would disrupt a successful system unless he's forced to, which has now happened with Pearson's suspension.

9 unbeaten, on course for 5 away wins in a row, no one has really deserved to lose their place.

Even though we paid decent money for him (by our standards), Maguire is clearly first choice.
Stockley went straight into the team against Swansea i think it was. He scored in one of the next games which we won, but was then taken off against Derby in the 2nd half. Think he started 4 games in which we won 2 and drew 2. You could say that was the start of our run, so did he really deserve to lose his place? He has hardly been seen since, probably for the reasons you state

Stockley went straight into the team against Swansea i think it was. He scored in one of the next games which we won, but was then taken off against Derby in the 2nd half. Think he started 4 games in which we won 2 and drew 2. You could say that was the start of our run, so did he really deserve to lose his place? He has hardly been seen since, probably for the reasons you state

That was at a point when Maguire was being phased back in though, as soon as he was fully up & running he was starting.

Don't think it's a slight on Stockley, Maguire is just one of our best players.